Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (H)

L/H White

• This topic was pinned, unpinned and pinned

Just win, by any means necessary.

We will create chances and probably score a goal or 2. But we're not converting enough chances and our defence is a big big worry for me.

I am worried, this is Evatts 4th season now, I know we have some injuries, but we played an extremely experienced back line against Barnsley and Exeter, yet we're shipping so many goals and look all over the place.

We have to start winning games ugly, clean sheets or even just conceding 1 goal would've have given us 6 points from this past week instead of 2. 

With 4 strikers now out, defensively we have simply got to improve and help our attackers in winning games for us. Because at the minute, we are constantly giving ourselves a mountain to climb, chasing goals in each game right to the last minute.

It will be interesting to see if there's any tactical shift, as now we are to the bare bones up top, and we know Evatt loves to switch his front 2 to allow fresher legs to press. We cannot do that anymore. 

I do agree with our general style of play. But in these big games to come, do we need to back off a bit, lessen the press and place a bigger emphasis defensively?

I'm not sure. Either way. If we continue in these next 9 games like we have done in the past 10 (16th in form table) then play offs it is.

Got to improve, now. 

7 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Collins, JDB and Jerome are our only fit strikers. 

Gonna be a tough ask for the next month or so.....

To be fair though, we signed Collins in January for 750k as the reigning L1 POTY. How many other clubs in this division can call upon being able to do that? We also knew who Bod and Jerome were when keeping them on for this year.

Even with the injuries, I don't think we can make the case that we haven't had the resources to see us through. Shouldn't be too big an expectation that those three will deliver.

17 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Collins, JDB and Jerome are our only fit strikers. 

Gonna be a tough ask for the next month or so.....

Bruce Rioch had one fit striker for the last 6 games of the 92/93 season.He had to win 5 of the last 6 games to finish 2nd and did exactly that 

I know it isn’t going to happen but personally I’d drop Rico to the bench because either he isn’t fully fit or he’s off the boil because his performances recently have been just awful. Put Toal at CH with Forrester on his right and Iredale on his left with Gethin staying at RWB. There isn’t really a problem playing one up top if he’s supported and to be honest Collins looks more like an 8 or 10 than an out and out striker so I’d have him supporting Bod. It may even be worth going to a 4 from a 5 at the back and having an extra man in midfield. Should we try something different or just stick with what we know? 

12 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I know it isn’t going to happen but personally I’d drop Rico to the bench because either he isn’t fully fit or he’s off the boil because his performances recently have been just awful. Put Toal at CH with Forrester on his right and Iredale on his left with Gethin staying at RWB. There isn’t really a problem playing one up top if he’s supported and to be honest Collins looks more like an 8 or 10 than an out and out striker so I’d have him supporting Bod. It may even be worth going to a 4 from a 5 at the back and having an extra man in midfield. Should we try something different or just stick with what we know? 

We ain’t experimenting with our formation at this time of the season. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Got to improve, now. 

Aye 

But with our injury list? 

We've got to find at least 4 points from next 2 then hopefully get some key players back

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Bruce Rioch had one fit striker for the last 6 games of the 92/93 season.He had to win 5 of the last 6 games to finish 2nd and did exactly that 

Was that the season when we were second to Stoke?

Edited by kent_white

• Site Supporter

The negative/realistic part of me lacks the expectation now that we can finish with a good run, beat the top sides consistently and catch/surpass Derby & Portsmouth.

Momentum and confidence are massive in sport and I genuinely believed that Barnsley goal could/would/should have been a turning point. To not use that to our advantage and instead see frailties/weaknesses creep back in against lowly opposition is concerning and is not what an aspirational, promotion winning team does at this stage of the season. 

However it’s not over yet by a long way. Sport also has the beauty of not being predictable and producing unexpected special moments which this team is more than capable of.

We are badly missing Baxter and Dion. If they can come back and hit form this would be an added boost.

Stick together, there’s a few more twists and turns to come yet and I intend to be there to see how it unfolds. 

31 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Yes.Bruce Rioch had two very good strikers rather than 5 average ones like Evatt has and it was obviously a problem when Andy Walker's season ended on Easter Monday.Rioch stuck a midfield grafter up front and the team got the job done.It wasn't easy but they were carried along by a hunger to win that this squad sems to lack.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Aye 

At one point we were 20 points behind Stoke and 10 behind Vale

Was having a look the other day 

When we won the play offs in 95 we won one in the last seven, don't recall how close run the title was the season, but we were 5 points off promotion come the end

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Aye 

But with our injury list? 

We've got to find at least 4 points from next 2 then hopefully get some key players back

It is worrying, but I do feel we've got enough firepower with Collins, Bod and Jerome to get goals.

But like I said, it all depends on our defence. Our defence is stacked, and we should not be conceding anywhere near the amount we have as of late.

9 minutes ago, Zico said:

Aye 

At one point we were 20 points behind Stoke and 10 behind Vale

Was having a look the other day 

When we won the play offs in 95 we won one in the last seven, don't recall how close run the title was the season, but we were 5 points off promotion come the end

Must have been extremely tight 

20240310_140810.jpg

• Moderators

13 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Must have been extremely tight 

20240310_140810.jpg

I seem to recall, with them coming second, the reading match was huge, and after defeat there we seem to tail off

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Yes.Bruce Rioch had two very good strikers rather than 5 average ones like Evatt has and it was obviously a problem when Andy Walker's season ended on Easter Monday.Rioch stuck a midfield grafter up front and the team got the job done.It wasn't easy but they were carried along by a hunger to win that this squad sems to lack.

Who of our current midfield would you reckon could do a job up front if we get really desperate. Dempsey for me would work his arse off like Charles. 

52 minutes ago, bwfc87 said:

Who of our current midfield would you reckon could do a job up front if we get really desperate. Dempsey for me would work his arse off like Charles. 

I suppose Dempsey is the obvious choce.He could do the running about Charles does.Rioch went for a taller man than Dempsey who could win his fair share of headers and put himself about.Maybe one of the centre backs could do that job.I saw Julian Darby in the queue at Greggs before one of the recent home games, he is still very slim. unlike me who went next door to Carrs for a pasty barmcake