Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

Rabbits in headlights for the first 10 minutes. Good goal from them but mistakes from Sheehan and Toal.

Responded brilliantly and I thought we were by far the better team thereafter.

Collins scoring again is a big positive, he’s really starting to show how good he is.

Maghoma was phenomenal - best player on the pitch by a distance. Gutted to see him go off.

I thought Santos spent the first 30 mins waking up but the last 60 minutes were as good as he can be. Bishop and then Yengi lit a fire under him and his answer was to show just how good he is.

Good performances all over the place, gutted not to convert one of the glaring chances to get the 3 points we deserved but it wasn’t meant to be. Understand the criticism of Bod for the 2nd half miss but there’s no way you can blame him for not squaring to GT in the first half. He’s chased in at full speed as the keeper spills it and at no point has the chance to consider his options - 1 thought and that’s get a shot away. I also thought his overall play was really good, him and Collins play as a proper partnership.

Let’s assume we win all 3 but it’s still not enough because Derby win their 2. We’d have won 5 and drawn one of our last 6 to end the season. If that’s the case and we haven’t had any major injuries then I’d be pretty confident of our chances in the play offs.

Que sera sera - still think Cambridge could spring a surprise.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Rabbits in headlights for the first 10 minutes. Good goal from them but mistakes from Sheehan and Toal.

Responded brilliantly and I thought we were by far the better team thereafter.

Collins scoring again is a big positive, he’s really starting to show how good he is.

Maghoma was phenomenal - best player on the pitch by a distance. Gutted to see him go off.

I thought Santos spent the first 30 mins waking up but the last 60 minutes were as good as he can be. Bishop and then Yengi lit a fire under him and his answer was to show just how good he is.

Good performances all over the place, gutted not to convert one of the glaring chances to get the 3 points we deserved but it wasn’t meant to be. Understand the criticism of Bod for the 2nd half miss but there’s no way you can blame him for not squaring to GT in the first half. He’s chased in at full speed as the keeper spills it and at no point has the chance to consider his options - 1 thought and that’s get a shot away. I also thought his overall play was really good, him and Collins play as a proper partnership.

Let’s assume we win all 3 but it’s still not enough because Derby win their 2. We’d have won 5 and drawn one of our last 6 to end the season. If that’s the case and we haven’t had any major injuries then I’d be pretty confident of our chances in the play offs.

Que sera sera - still think Cambridge could spring a surprise.

Pretty much agree with this, if we could have just got through that first 10 minutes and managed to get the first goal I think we win, no complaints from me, we had a go , just wasn’t quite enough.

Derby could still do a Derby and put in a poor one next Saturday. Nowhere near a foregone conclusion that as Cambridge still need points. 

if it is to be the play offs I just hope the disappointment of not getting the automatics doesn’t linger because no one out of Barnsley Oxford or Lincoln will fancy us over 2 legs with the 2nd at our place. The levels of performance we have reached since the Oxford game will be far too much for any of them 

1 hour ago, desperado said:

This is the problem we have with our support

Pretenders who think they know best.

2 conflicting opinions, who somehow think their opinion should be taken as some kind of reason for not getting 3 points.

Yes post your opinion.

But accept the fact that you are  both so far off reality and your opposite extremes are going to be questioned

Both wrong 

How are they conflicting? They were late like Nokid said and said they were cac. Why take Collins off for Jerome ffs plus Paris was causing them problems but he binned him

A bit disappointing to have played so well and not got that second goal but you can see why Pompey are up there. Played to grind it out.

That ref was one of the worst in a while. No such thing as a quick free kick and how on earth Yengi wasn’t booked for that ‘goal’ where he stole it from Baxter has baffled me. You could argue it’s a yellow for interfering with the keeper, a yellow for time wasting and a yellow for kicking the ball away. Fucking laughable.

Also that #28 that came on for them at half time is that kind of enforcer that we have missed IMO. Know nothing about him but based on today, he just kept it simple and kept them ticking. 

8 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Derby could still do a Derby and put in a poor one next Saturday. Nowhere near a foregone conclusion that as Cambridge still need points. 

if it is to be the play offs I just hope the disappointment of not getting the automatics doesn’t linger because no one out of Barnsley Oxford or Lincoln will fancy us over 2 legs with the 2nd at our place. The levels of performance we have reached since the Oxford game will be far too much for any of them 

Hope we fight to the end, win these next to home games and a point for derby won’t be enough at Cambridge to be in control of their destiny. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

How are they conflicting? They were late like Nokid said and said they were cac. Why take Collins off for Jerome ffs plus Paris was causing them problems but he binned him

JDB’s legs had gone. As good as Maghoma had been he’d become less influential. No need for CDM in Sheehan, Morley did well when he came on. And Charles coming on was, well, completely understandable wasn’t it? We all wanted to see him on didn’t we? And we carried on creating chances, some good ones. 

2 hours ago, Spider said:

He’s not performed.

the stats back me up.

you stick to blaming Evatt/Sharon/the weather

But I’m right.

One of the worst takes I've read on here and by the Christ there's been some bad ones

The change they made at HT changed the control of midfield. Maghoma first half was making Moxon look absolutely piss poor. So they brought on someone a bit more aggressive and defensive minded. Broke up our flow through midfield and in particular Maghoma. 

That old cliche of  the last thing we wanted was half time because it allowed them to regroup and make adjustments. The 2nd half was never going to be the same story. Became a far more equal game. Yep we had the Bod sitter and Charles hit the post but if we had be gone in at HT in front we’d of won the game 

Bod not squaring for Thomasson off the Collins effort was just as criminal as skying over from 5yards 

Edited by barrycowdrill

I'm not sure I can agree we brought Sheehan off because we didn't need a CDM

Sheehan typically plays deep but he's not really a defensive midfielder

And to be honest, I'd have been content for Charles to make his return next week if it meant Collins stayed on the pitch

But it is what it is

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Vics absence did not happen in isolation. Losing Vic, Baxter, Dion and even CMG all about the same time has affected us. The run of away games - Northampton, Blackpool, Wigan, Barnsley and Derby - where we got 2 points from 5 games is a shortfall of 8 on the 2 points PPG you need for automatics. 

I dont disagree, yet he is being singled out again as a poor player. You can't really say what would, or wouldn't have happened, but I believe having Vic over the last few weeks (and only him, of those missing) would have yielded more points.

3 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

I dont disagree, yet he is being singled out again as a poor player. You can't really say what would, or wouldn't have happened, but I believe having Vic over the last few weeks (and only him, of those missing) would have yielded more points.

What do you think Vic would have produced that Bod and Collins havent?

I haven't read previous posts so apologies if this has been said before but I feel the need to say this.

I am not the guys biggest fan and I think he gets away with a lot of mistakes.

But today he was unplayabe

Santos take a bow son 

Coyfwm

9 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

There’s a sound Pompey lad who moved to the top of Halliwell years ago, everytime we play them up here he invites about 20 lads up & they stay in a local hotel.

They seem a decent bunch to be fair.

They really aren't they just live a fair bit further away than the clubs that really hate us.

Fuck Pompey. I

n fact fuck em all we are the one and only wanderers 

8 minutes ago, batton carrier said:

I haven't read previous posts so apologies if this has been said before but I feel the need to say this.

I am not the guys biggest fan and I think he gets away with a lot of mistakes.

But today he was unplayabe

Santos take a bow son 

Coyfwm

Back to his best today, and almost won us the game at the end .

40 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

A bit disappointing to have played so well and not got that second goal but you can see why Pompey are up there. Played to grind it out.

That ref was one of the worst in a while. No such thing as a quick free kick and how on earth Yengi wasn’t booked for that ‘goal’ where he stole it from Baxter has baffled me. You could argue it’s a yellow for interfering with the keeper, a yellow for time wasting and a yellow for kicking the ball away. Fucking laughable.

Also that #28 that came on for them at half time is that kind of enforcer that we have missed IMO. Know nothing about him but based on today, he just kept it simple and kept them ticking. 

That foot up on the keeper is a yellow every single time. 

We’ve had some shite this season but he was one of the worst 

1 minute ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Back to his best today, and almost won us the game at the end .

What happened with what looked like his free header from the corner at about 75 minutes ish?

From where we were it looked like he’d arrived on it perfect and had just nodded it down into the bottom right corner but next minute the keeper just caught it like someone had just gently thrown it back to him - assume he didn’t make the right contact or a defender got something on it?

8 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Perhaps, just perhaps they were tactical substitutions, saving Collins JDB and Sheehan, oh and Magoma for Tuesday against Shrewsbury.

Hope so, but I'm not confident, they were the usual like for like.

Sucked all the momentum out of us that did. 

All four are potential match winners that can do stuff other players can’t. To take every single one them off was just fucking bizarre. 

7 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Perhaps, just perhaps they were tactical substitutions, saving Collins JDB and Sheehan, oh and Magoma for Tuesday against Shrewsbury.

Hope so, but I'm not confident, they were the usual like for like.

If that's the case - and I'm not claiming it is - I'd think Evatt had got it wrong

I think at this stage of the season, given the position we're in, it should just be a case of doing what we need to do today