Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Playoffs

L/H White

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You're right, but that's a bit different to changing an entire 11.

That might raise a few eyebrows amongst the efl.

Why though 

Peterborough have got play offs to think about 

That's their priority, now they've secured the away leg first 

They want to get promoted and doing what they think they need to do in order to achieve that 

Plus the players that come in may see it at as a chance to prove themselves and try harder than a player trying not to get injured or booked 

It's nonsense to suggest they could be punished for utilising their squad to their own advantage

31 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Sounds like it's more the EFL wanting to look like they are making a stance but know full when this is what will happen 

Otherwise they could just bring in a rule like the pizza cup with the number of starting players having to had played in the previous match 

If they can have that rule of the pizza cup, surely they can have the same rule for league games, given that league games affect other teams in the league unlike cup games which only affect the 2 teams involved.  Seems wierd if this rule isn't already in place.  

From our point of view, we might want Posh to play their "normal" team on Tuesday so that they can potentially pick up a couple of injuries or suspensions, as seems to happen to us most weeks.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Zico said:

Why though 

For the reasons already discussed. 

Where does using your squad end and deliberately playing a weakened team start?

Some common sense needs to be applied, and where something like this happens, if it does, then the efl may well take a look.

Dunno what they can do about it, or even if they decide there's nothing to see, but they might just ask some questions. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

For the reasons already discussed. 

Where does using your squad end and deliberately playing a weakened team start?

Some common sense needs to be applied, and where something like this happens, if it does, then the efl may well take a look.

Dunno what they can do about it, or even if they decide there's nothing to see, but they might just ask some questions. 

they can only do it after the event though (I doubt they'd ask questions when the team sheet is handed in)

but on what basis do they ask questions - if they lose? if they lose heavily or to a injury time dodgy penalty? what if they play a weakened team and win or draw? do they just get told not to do it again?

too much of a grey area for me

best / strongest team is subjective - the manager and staff are the only ones who know what they strongest / best team is on the day, and if they say players needed resting and / or have knocks the EFL have to prove otherwise

not happening

they can ask all the questions they like though I suppose

To be honest I’m not really bothered whether we finish 3rd or 4th. Second leg is at home regardless and looking at how close the table is below Peterborough they’re all pretty equal. Much of a muchness. Each one has different threats and weaknesses. Could argue 3 of the 4 have a degree of momentum, however we have beaten those 3 but not beaten Barnsley in any of the last 4 who are bang out of form 

49 minutes ago, Popeye doyle said:

I wouldn’t play Collins at Peterborough, I’d wrap him in cotton wool. Give Charles and Nlundulu a start and get minutes into them.

It would suit Peterborough if Collins got injured against them on Saturday. 

It is a funny one, anyone gets injured they could miss play offs, a straight red could rule someone out too.

We could play our young uns and go out to start fights or injure them. 

Edited by Ani

There’s absolutely nothing to play for at Peterborough so no point risking our key players when we have a squad capable of producing two teams that could deliver. I agree, rest AC, give Dion another hour and Dan the same. Leave George out as he’s not been brilliant last couple as well as Paris who we definitely will need and start Morley and Demps instead. I’m not sure IE will see it that way though? 🥴

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

There’s absolutely nothing to play for at Peterborough so no point risking our key players when we have a squad capable of producing two teams that could deliver. I agree, rest AC, give Dion another hour and Dan the same. Leave George out as he’s not been brilliant last couple as well as Paris who we definitely will need and start Morley and Demps instead. I’m not sure IE will see it that way though? 🥴

And if the unlikely happens and Derby lose??

On 21/04/2024 at 22:13, Johnnyrotten said:

If they can have that rule of the pizza cup, surely they can have the same rule for league games, given that league games affect other teams in the league unlike cup games which only affect the 2 teams involved.  Seems wierd if this rule isn't already in place.  

From our point of view, we might want Posh to play their "normal" team on Tuesday so that they can potentially pick up a couple of injuries or suspensions, as seems to happen to us most weeks.

It certainly seems a bit of a loose, airy fairy rule when they have a more robust one for Pizza Cup. Cheltenham need to win to go into Sat with a live chance of staying up so you'd expect they'll be bang up for it, can understand Ferguson's thinking but EFL will be mindful of Cheltenham's rivals having a close eye on it

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, little whitt said:

Just looked said 15.00

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

It was 3pm last season deffo.

aye

would be surprised if it wasn't

but

got it from here

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/21564/13120822/efl-play-offs-fixtures-dates-and-schedule-for-championship-league-one-and-league-two

Championship: 4.30pm

League One: 5.30pm

League Two: 1pm

17 minutes ago, Zico said:

aye

would be surprised if it wasn't

but

got it from here

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/21564/13120822/efl-play-offs-fixtures-dates-and-schedule-for-championship-league-one-and-league-two

Championship: 4.30pm

League One: 5.30pm

League Two: 1pm

It's bollocks if it is at 5:30 as the Prem finishes on Sunday so it doesn't clash with any of those.