Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fanzone for away fans?

Noticed quite a few Pompey supping cans outside Tesco’s & on the path leading to the stadium.

Anyone else think we should have some sort of fanzone for the away fans?

We could make some decent money when there’s a large following and apart from the Beehive there’s not many places for them to go.

I’m thinking Food outlets & a few beer options and there’s plenty of room to rig something up behind the south stand

Our club could be having their money & not Tesco/Asda/Beehive.

17 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Noticed quite a few Pompey supping cans outside Tesco’s & on the path leading to the stadium.

Anyone else think we should have some sort of fanzone for the away fans?

We could make some decent money when there’s a large following and apart from the Beehive there’s not many places for them to go.

I’m thinking Food outlets & a few beer options and there’s plenty of room to rig something up behind the south stand

Our club could be having their money & not Tesco/Asda/Beehive.

I thought the same, only needs open for bigger teams, something like they have at Shrewsbury.

It’s a great idea but, realistically, with the approach from the station, the hotel entrance, the car park, is there enough room for one that’s worth it. Not against the idea at all, just wondering if it’s workable. And then add in GMP…

Theres quite a large area behind the South stand, i’m sure we could nick some of the car park space.

We could trial it by flogging cans at £4.50 a tin & pies/hot dogs for  some ridiculous amount like most fanzones do.

It doesn’t have to be anything state of the art, just get their money instead of them spending it elsewhere.

Presuming some car park space would need to be sacrificed for another fanzone would it outweigh the lost revenue & extra overheads, get promoted probably cover it with bigger away followings I guess

personally I’m not a fan been to plenty of grounds that aren’t set up for away fans just drink elsewhere

• Site Supporter

There's already 1 food hut on the outer perimeter. Wouldn't take much to get a couple more offerings and a beer cart inside a marquee which would fine for Fleetwoods 200 travelling fans

Can’t say I’m too precious either way on this debate. 

No issue with away fans being in the mix and if anything I think it’s loses something slightly having em up at the beehive or somewhere else.

Barnstormers was always a good do.

That said I still don’t think there is enough for catering for our own fans. So would be good for us. Fan zone needs to be indoor with our weather.

9 minutes ago, tomski said:

No issue with away fans being in the mix and if anything I think it’s loses something slightly having em up at the beehive or somewhere else.

That said I still don’t think there is enough for catering for our own fans. So would be good for us. Fan zone needs to be indoor with our weather.

Correct and bigger. Surely we can make improvements. 

would the council be the ones stopping a permanent building or do we think it’s just cost

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Was in the BEN   (  Barnstormers )

last week 

plans in for a Kids Nursey 

They have got the Beehive 

like someone said some dont  bring a lot

say 2000 come 

not all are PISS CANS  who want a Bar Pint

Family's /  old cunts / Kids & Flids .......who will have a mouch round the shops Something to eat 

i Take it the Away end Server Ale 

The problem with an Away fans area is that it has to be big enough to covers its costs which for most followings would be a struggle.

For the bigger away followings imagine there would be policing issues. 

Wycombe had a bar and bar bq area which is ok when we went there, but only cos I was driving , can not imagine using one otherwise , did at Lincoln last season but again cos was driving. The places that do this tend to have fuck all in ground at this level. 

They can always just go in ground and have a drink. I am in the 'fuck em' camp. 

Why can't we do what Derby have done and just have kiosks scattered around the outside of the stadium that sell beer and other drinks and food? I always thought it had to be some kind of designated zone, but outside pride park I went down to one of them and grabbed a beer while stood outside the ground.

We've actually got a nice set up for that with a big circular concrete area all around the stadium, so that could be the designated zone.