Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Way Yanks Think About Us.

leigh white

Any yanks I've met on Holliday think we are ace.

I also knew two brothers that somehow made their way over to living in a Bispham backwater about 15 years ago.

One got addicted to whiskey and ended up in a nut house. The other also got addicted whiskey,got back scuttled against his will by a bloke on the middle walk on the sea front then eventually threw himself off the bus station roof.

Theyre not all bad.

On holiday once...American asks me if I am from London.

No mate...bolton...its near Manchester.

Manchester...I've not heard of that.

Yeah Manchester...like Manchester United. ..

Oh right. Are they a rock group or something?

You'll do for me mate...

Travelled over to Chicago, Vegas and Missouri for work on a regular basis as well as many other areas on holiday from 1989 to 2008.  I have many a tale of weird conversations. Once in a a town called Cape Girardeau  in Missouri  on the Mississippi which I used travel to regularly we were asked for id in a bar and nobody in there had ever seen a passport. I had to prove my young then wifey was my wife and went through various bits of id (even our wedding certificate) as we had just got married in 1990. I found out later that evening that 90% of the residents of that town had never been out of Missouri never mind the USA!

One question that always annoyed me was "which church do you belong to" never do you go to church. The Mid West is a vast country within a country.

Edited by bgoefc

• Site Supporter

Travelled over to Chicago, Vegas and Missouri for work on a regular basis as well as many other areas on holiday from 1989 to 2008. I have many a tale of weird conversations. Once in a a town called Cape Girardeau in Missouri on the Mississippi which I used travel to regularly we were asked for id in a bar and nobody in there had ever seen a passport. I had to prove my young then wifey was my wife and went through various bits of id (even our wedding certificate) as we had just got married in 1990. I found out later that evening that 90% of the residents of that town had never been out of Missouri never mind the USA!

One question that always annoyed me was "which church do you belong to" never do you go to church. The Mid West is a vast country within a country.

Are they really that wacko with religion in the Mid West? What business is it of theirs anyway?

I can understand people not leaving their shores in a way, they have so much within their country as it is so vast but loads have never even seen a fraction of their own state.

That said, loads of our older generation have never been as far as Southport on a day trip.

Met some yank marines and Canadian sailor boys when we were in Hamburg on a stag do as it clashed with the celebration of the harbour birthday, they thought we were fuckin nuts,kept buyin us all drinks and having their pictures took with around 30 of us

Know a lad who studied German at university and spent a year working there as part of his course. The job he had lined up fell through and he ended up working in a McDonalds on an American military base. The Septics couldn't understand his thick Bolton accent and kept asking him to stop speaking German.