Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton 0 Oxford 2

gonzo

As a BWFC supporting resident of Oxford I am about to face work. There aren't scores of their fans - and the ones that there are also support United and Liverpool etc. Nonetheless it'll be hard work this morning.

Thanks Bolton Wanderers. Traipsed 175 miles north for the dismal, grim performance you put on just for a load of stick on Monday morning.

Just some thoughts.

That was an inept display of the highest order.

We played safety first all the time. Even then we don't maintain possession. The ball is past backwards to the starting point of Vela, Wheater, Beevers and Moxey all the time. They struggle to do anything with it other than make another obvious pass. The opposition are moving to close down before the ball has left our players foot because it is so obvious where it is going.There is no movement, pace or anything worthy of an attacking move. No player does anything tricky, unusual or clever to wrong foot the opposition.

Madine was our best player purely because he headed the ball on. Unfortunately, Clough has neither has the pace, strength or the guile to run on to it. The myth of Clough is slowly fading I'm afraid. He is going to end up like Mark Davies. The talk is going to be better than the game. I listen to Manchester Radio on the way home and they talk about Davies like he is too good for this level. Have they actually watched him play over the last five years? The best we get is one good performance in 3 when he is not injured which is very rare. Clough is heading the same way.

Jay Spearing ran hard and cannot be faulted for effort. We need a bit more skill and claver play. We are dull.

Vela is not a full back or a midfield player. He has been very poor for weeks in my opinion. He either makes an obvious pass back or loses the ball.

Trotter only got involved after the three substitutions and for about 5 minutes. This is true of most of the players.

Ameobi came on and they were ready for him. He does the same trick every time - movement to the left where he encountered the waiting Oxford player.

The manager looked like a naughty boy being told off at school when interviewed.

We created one chance at home in 94 minutes! Enough said.

Clough isn't the sort of player to run on to flick ons. He prefers the space inbetween the defence and midfield. I'm hoping Parkinson has realised this now because lumping balls up to Madine is going to render clough useless unless it's a perfect ball that Madine can bring down.

For me the balance in midfield is the main problem they are too deep at home . Spearing is having to do twice the work because trotter is a waste of space and vela isn't any better when he's in central midfield.

I'd like to see Derik play alongside spearing. This would give spearing a bit more licence to get involved further up the pitch. He's got a great shot on him. He's wasted Sat in front of the back four in this league. Derik has the energy and defensive instincts that trotter lacks and is a better all round partner for spearing.

Clough isn't the sort of player to run on to flick ons. He prefers the space inbetween the defence and midfield. I'm hoping Parkinson has realised this now because lumping balls up to Madine is going to render clough useless unless it's a perfect ball that Madine can bring down.

For me the balance in midfield is the main problem they are too deep at home . Spearing is having to do twice the work because trotter is a waste of space and vela isn't any better when he's in central midfield.

I'd like to see Derik play alongside spearing. This would give spearing a bit more licence to get involved further up the pitch. He's got a great shot on him. He's wasted Sat in front of the back four in this league. Derik has the energy and defensive instincts that trotter lacks and is a better all round partner for spearing.

Not convinced Clough is anything like as good as is made out. I always worry when a supposedly good player can't be accommodated in any attacking position. First he couldn't play wide. Now he can't play up front.

Lads a striker. He doesn't seem to offer much as one.

• Site Supporter

Not convinced Clough is anything like as good as is made out. I always worry when a supposedly good player can't be accommodated in any attacking position. First he couldn't play wide. Now he can't play up front.

Like all those around him. Lads too good and sharp in movement for this lot. He'd shine in a footballing team that passed and moved. Or at least one that made chances for strikers.

He can play up front but he's suited to getting the ball at his feet.

Benteke was Shite at Liverpool but now he's at palace, who get the ball in the box more and are more direct, hes started scoring again.

If Clough doesn't get the ball into his feet, he isn't going to impact the game enough.

We've got players that can cause damage. Parkinson needs to figure out how to implement a system where our better players are involved.

Like all those around him. Lads too good and sharp in movement for this lot. He'd shine in a footballing team that passed and moved. Or at least one that made chances for strikers.

Hopefully we can get Spearing and Derek creating these chances from midfield.We just seem thin on quality right now.

He can play up front but he's suited to getting the ball at his feet.

Benteke was Shite at Liverpool but now he's at palace, who get the ball in the box more and are more direct, hes started scoring again.

If Clough doesn't get the ball into his feet, he isn't going to impact the game enough.

We've got players that can cause damage. Parkinson needs to figure out how to implement a system where our better players are involved.

Clough spent a lot of the match in wide positions when he should have been lurking in the area around madine and in and around the penalty box.

Great shame what's happening with Clough, I think he's a quality player but will need to go elsewhere to develop

We're just not set up to make the most of him

The best he played for us was when he partnered ALF, around that time we were creating plenty and scoring our fair share as well. Seems like a life time a go

• Site Supporter

i dont think clough is as good as folk make out, but he is certainly better than the shit around him. but more importantly, better than the dogshit system PP is making him play in.

run zach, save yourself!

Trouble is pal that we're not getting the chance to see how good he is. He had a golden period when Lenny brought him in but we had other decent footballers too. Unfortunately Lenny flipped and the rest is history.

Clough I thought was OK Saturday, agree we have to find a way to get him in the game.

Madine won 75% of high balls and from everything seen so far this season will do OK.

Apart from Spearing (even with his little leg limitations) the rest of the midfield and full back are truly awful.

Henry been a big let down so far but maybe can improve.

Ameobi is either really shit with the odd glimpse of not so shit, on the odd occasion he is not shit there is no end product so ends up being still shit.