Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sounds good to me.

Does he pop up with a few goals from set pieces do you know?

Not been so good with them since the days of wheater and beevers. 

Not according to his stats, doesnt do goals.

We don't need those Wheater/Beevers types, all our goals will be perfect footballing goals, think Brazil 70 WC Final.

9 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Surprised by Lowe, but maybe Evatt doesn't fancy him or he is after more coin.

Nowt against Lowe but im glad hes going. A Parky player all over and we are going in a different direction. Plus im guessing with the salary cap/embargo we feel we can use cost of his sslary much better in terms of recruitment 

I can't imagine Lowe's wage demands would sit too well with League 2. He's a decent player at League 1 level - middle of the road at Championship level but if you play him to his strengths and don't ask much more of him then he'll do a job there. Especially in a Parky type set up. 

I don't think he's dynamic enough to suddenly become a world beater even at League 2 level. I think he'd always be one of those 6-7 out of ten players because of his style.

I like the bloke though. Never seemed to be one of the shithouses when things were going badly.

But at his age - if it's a salary cap in League 2 or being played by a manager he likes with no wage cap in League 1 then it's a no brainer for him. 

17 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Every team needs a ballwinner/defensive midfielder type of player or it turns into an owenbastardcoyle  kind of disaster.

Lowe would be as good as any in the role in Div 2 & i'd be disappointed if he goes.   

not just if he goes or stays tho is it? depends on who we bring in instead who knows might two or three players. I am genuinely surprised though that anyone would be 'disappointed ' to see him leave. Entirely unremarkable (and probably expensive in terms of value for money) player for me. New broom new start. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, snowball said:

not just if he goes or stays tho is it? depends on who we bring in instead who knows might two or three players. I am genuinely surprised though that anyone would be 'disappointed ' to see him leave. Entirely unremarkable (and probably expensive in terms of value for money) player for me. New broom new start. 

Agree wholly. Evatt is building his own team. If he doesn't want him, fine by me.

If he did want him and signed him up again; equally fine.

I honestly think we can get a better ball-winner than Lowe.

He was nowhere near good enough in his first season and filled a gap at best last season; not that I don’t admire his loyalty and commitment.

Its no fault of his own and we could’ve had Kante in Lowe’s place and it may have not made a difference, but the reality is, our midfield has been overrun throughout his time.

This is a lower level and I’m sure he’d be great if he stayed. Nonetheless, we’ve finished bottom of the league in both of his seasons here. Not saying he’s to blame, but it’s a fact. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Werder barmen said:

sonny graham not step up to holding midfield with the right players around him? or is he still abit raw?

Hard to tell. Felt he struggled at times with the pace of the game when he played last time round.

But that was with onions in charge and not much of a team nor plan.

Not sure it would be right just yet to put that much responsibility on young shoulders. 

2 minutes ago, Werder barmen said:

sonny graham not step up to holding midfield with the right players around him? or is he still abit raw?

Not based on the evidence so far but then again I said Peter Reid wouldnt cut it after his debut .Too small & too slow I thought .Think we got beat by Notts County that day.

Graham was only 17 for the games he played last season.  You're asking a lot for a kid that age to come into a struggling team and hold his own at L1 level.  I thought he started off well but the more he played, the more he struggled. It's rare for young players to maintain consistent form when they first get into the team - they do tend to be a bit up and down.  There's something there from what I've seen for him to be a decent lower league DM - someone who can put his foot in, retain possession and play some simple passes.  He's not going to be a box to box, goal scoring, creative type.