Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

58 minutes ago, Ani said:

Barnsley had 8/9 games last season with under 10k on. We have not dropped below 10k since pre pandemic.  
Their ground that they lease  is literally falling apart https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/east-stand-temporary-closure-highlights-need-to-resolve-oakwell-lease-issue-stress-barnsley-fc-supporters-trust-4053329

I have no problems with Barnsley as a club but we are simply a more attractive proposition for a player than they are. 

BTW the biggest factors that might make players move will be wages and length of contract . 

Hallelujah!!  Amazing some our own fans thinking Barnsley are anywhere near our equal.  

There'll undoubtedly be some wheeling and dealing going on with a few more players leaving but there are so many questions to be answered before we'll know if we can compete with the 3 teams coming down and the likes of Barnsley and Derby next year.

Yes we've been told there is some money for signings - but how much?

Of greater concern to me is that despite all the data analysis that allegedly takes place, I was a bit underwhelmed by our January recruitment. Williams is a competent L1 wing back but no more from what we've seen so far, Victor has the touch but hasn't really found the right positions in our system to be enough of a threat and Dan, bless him, has all the physicality and movement required to do well but his touch and technical level just aren't good enough.

Great that we have some kind of budget but if we're buying to get promotion we need better quality and greater athleticism and physicality.

So in terms of transfer gossip what we got?

OUT

Santos to Leicester for £3m

Sheehan to Exeter on a free

Sadlier to Orient on a permanent

Declan John to Wrexham might rear its head again

IN

Danny Ward to us from Huddersfield

Cole Stockton to us (as always)

Zach Robinson from Wimbledon

Anything else?

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Best stag prank ever would be to invite Ian Evatt :D

Actually invite Iredale, Williams and the lad from Liverpool and make DJ pass on his outfit to each of them in turn. 

2 hours ago, Mantra said:

So in terms of transfer gossip what we got?

OUT

Santos to Leicester for £3m

Sheehan to Exeter on a free

Sadlier to Orient on a permanent

Declan John to Wrexham might rear its head again

IN

Danny Ward to us from Huddersfield

Cole Stockton to us (as always)

Zach Robinson from Wimbledon

Anything else?

Lee Bonis, CF currently contracted to Larne in the NIFL Premiership. 12 goals and 9 assists in 29 league appearances this season just gone.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/sport/bolton-wanderers-join-chase-for-lee-bonis-as-michael-oneill-eyes-summer-northern-ireland-role-for-larne-star/399596974.html

Edited by bromers

16 minutes ago, bromers said:

Lee Bonis, CF currently contracted to Larne in the NIFL Premiership. 12 goals and 9 assists in 29 league appearances this season just gone.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/sport/bolton-wanderers-join-chase-for-lee-bonis-as-michael-oneill-eyes-summer-northern-ireland-role-for-larne-star/399596974.html

Gone where?

Think as fans we might find that when we're linked with players this summer there'll be names touted that leave us wondering if they are first team or B team potential signings.

Last Summer the club was quite good at clarifying when a deal was announced but when names initially emerge via speculation there'll be some where there's a bit of guesswork needed.

Bit of a different position for us going into this season. Last season we had big spenders like Ipswich and Sheff Weds and some clubs that came down who weren’t in terrible shape, whilst we were still stabilising.

This season, there’s a chance that we’ll have the biggest transfer (not wage) budget in the league.

We’ve just raised £3.5m (at least) which has publicly been allocated in part to investment in the squad. 2 of the 3 coming down are in no position to be spending anything and I can’t imagine Blackpool have piles of cash to spend. Derby might have it available but I think they’re still restricted from the league in terms of what they can spend. I’m not sure what position Barnsley, Pompey and Charlton are in, so there could be some cash available, but I haven’t heard it if they have.

It really wouldn’t surprise me to see us spend relatively big in this window - looking at the league you’d expect that this will be seen as a very good chance to go up and I reckon Sharon and co will double down (within reason) to give us the best chance to capitalise.

7 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

He'd be our best midfielder

Would he fuck. He's basic. Did you see that miss yesterday ? He's not as good as Morley. No way. Look at the goals morley had scored this season. Morley has much better technique. There is a reason connell spent most of his time at queen of the south in Scotland and not getting a sniff at Celtic. 

4 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

Would he fuck. He's basic. Did you see that miss yesterday ? He's not as good as Morley. No way. Look at the goals morley had scored this season. Morley has much better technique. There is a reason connell spent most of his time at queen of the south in Scotland and not getting a sniff at Celtic. 

"Basic"

Aye, alreet

I rate Morley highly but only one of the two turned up in the play-offs and it wasn't the Radcliffe Pirlo

Just now, Arrested development said:

Bolton didn't turn up. Morley will play at a higher level than Connell in his career. No question. 

He'll have to learn to kick with his left foot first

But there's no reason to think Connell wouldn't be just as capable, if not more capable

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

He'll have to learn to kick with his left foot first

But there's no reason to think Connell wouldn't be just as capable, if not more capable

Honestly don't remember luca Connell using his right foot very much. Can't remember the last time I saw him do anything other than ordinary. He's suited to Barnsley. Organised , keeps it simple, cross it early and often. When he starts putting free kicks in the top corner and scoring worldies from range like Morley I'll put him in the same bracket.