Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Favourite Promotion Game

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

Preston 1st time around.

Winning promotion in a home game, on the final day, is the dogs.

Wrexham a close second.

The PNE game didn't secure promotion it secured the championship. We secured promotion at Blackburn.

After only managing a draw at home in the last match we were dependant on a draw in the match where the other two highest placed teams, Spurs and Southampton were playing each other and ended in a draw giving us the championship.

• Moderators

The PNE game didn't secure promotion it secured the championship. We secured promotion at Blackburn.

After only managing a draw at home in the last match we were dependant on a draw in the match where the other two highest placed teams, Spurs and Southampton were playing each other and ended in a draw giving us the championship.

I dunno what you are waffling on about

The PNE game was early 90s, when Mcginlay scored a late penalty

Probably has to be the 0-1 win away at Blackburn with Hull a close 2nd.

Looking back at my first full season, 1972-73 I can't remember much about the last game against Brentford but there is something similar about the ending of that season. We beat Shrewsbury 0-2 away and played Port Vale as the final away game prior to Brentford.

Fingers crossed

COYWM

Reading - it had everything as others have said and I went down with my old man and was just old enough to have a good drink with him (legitimately - I'd been pissing it up years by then :)), he's not here anymore so it's unlikely to be beaten either...Maybe in the unlikely event I don't whip it out in time and sometime in the future some unlucky lad/lass wants to allow some doddery owd c*nt (me) tag along one time?

Unless there is someone on here who is 82, I'm one of the lucky few who has seen every promotion in modern times.

Anyone who went to Blackburn must put that as no.1.

After that depends on your age I guess. I'm going for the promotion in 73 as my second choice as it was the first taste of success and the first time I saw the potential of our fans (33,000) against Blackburn in the run in.

• Site Supporter

Blackburn was fantastic for a starry eyed 15yr old but for the whole experience of the day Wrexham is the one for me, made a last minute decision to go, had a brilliant day on the ale in Chester, Wrexham, Chester again then back in Manchester & for added bonus it was the day I met a top mate of mine for the first time.

When i used to work a Thwaites , every now and then that night would come up in conversation.

Rovers fans all agreed that still is the largest away folowing to hit Ewood.

Man City did take a big following some years ago but no where near that nights numbers.

The Darwen end was packed out.

We got there at around 6pm.

No chance of getting in , managed to get in their end.

50% bolton. When Worthington drilled that ball in ( seemed to take ages before he shot ) the whole ground erupted.

Remember getting the train back to Bolton and the only place we could find for a drink was Space City.

But even with all those memories .

Reading at Wembley was the pinicle.

Was it called Space city way back then?

Tough one between Preston 1 - 0 McGinlay pen.  First time i'd ever been on the pitch after a game :) 

and Reading 4 - 3.  Meant I could watch Bolton in the top flight for the first time ever.

I also remember buzzing at Wrexham but was a little too young to really know what was going on.  The crossbar being carried by the fans after the game was a highlight.