Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Joey Barton

deane koontz

• Site Supporter

Average bet 150 quid.

And the crucial thing is that he is betting against his own team. Whether playing or not, that's a huge no-no.

"... on the few occasions where I placed a bet on my own team to lose, I was not involved in the match day squad for any of those games. I did not play. I was not even on the bench. I had no more ability to influence the outcome than had I been betting on darts, snooker, or a cricket match in the West Indies. I should add that on some of those occasions, my placing of the bet on my own team to lose was an expression of my anger and frustration at not being picked or being unable to play. I understand people will think that is childish and selfish and I cannot disagree with that."

"... on the few occasions where I placed a bet on my own team to lose, I was not involved in the match day squad for any of those games. I did not play. I was not even on the bench. I had no more ability to influence the outcome than had I been betting on darts, snooker, or a cricket match in the West Indies. I should add that on some of those occasions, my placing of the bet on my own team to lose was an expression of my anger and frustration at not being picked or being unable to play. I understand people will think that is childish and selfish and I cannot disagree with that."

Probably was childish frustration, but he may have known about his team's injuries, tactics, perceived weaknesses against the opposition that give him the edge. No sympathy from me, Joey.

Rules are the rules and he broke them and now suffers as any normal man would do in their employment

For the record I actually like the lad and think he speaks an awful lot of sense at times.

And having suffered an addiction myself I can only sympathise with him if it's true that he has one it's s dark place