Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Just now, Winchester White said:

Jacob Rees Mogg is such a cunt he makes Tony Blair look like a fucking saint.

How the fuck he ended up where he is now is as batshit crazy as Corbyn getting the big gig for Labour.  The sooner these idiot fringe 6th form politics dickwipes fuck off the better.

Spot on

• Members

I have read the rest of the thread and the bottom line is that remainers of all types will hang on to every last hope of the decision being reversed and are happy the see the EU attempt to bully the UK using NI as a premise.

Conversely, leavers become more entrenched in the opinion that we should get out of this crooked club at the earliest opportunity and forge our own way in the world free of the machinations of faceless Brussels bureaucrats only really concerned about maintaining their own lavish lifestyles.

Like most I suspect, will be glad to see this well behind us and see a UK making the most of its innate inventiveness and industriousness and forging ahead as we always have.

I think most want this over and done with - sadly, it's not proving to be as easy as it was implied. At some point, it looks like we're in for a bit of pain, it won't be seamless.

A major issue here, and I know you've got Boris down as a Winston Churchill type character (although to be fair, you did also say May was Thatcher like) but he really doesn't inspire confidence. Even Mounts has said he'd like to see Boris gone after we finally get Brexit done.....and this will happen, as the Tory party will have to get rid of him, as he seems to be utterly inept.

I've no doubt the UK will make a success of things moving forward, and our leaving will force reform in the EU, which is a good thing, it'd just be nice it things were straight forward. Even a blind man can see that to sign a deal and claim it to be "oven ready" and then to row back on that within 9 months isn't ideal. Unless we extend the transition period, then we've only got just over 100 days until we potentially enter the world of WTO, which people on both sides agree we don't really want. I know that you've said in the past that you would have no problem with it, but that's fine for you to say when you're sat on the other side of the world. Those of us who live and work here are a little concerned, as we can see a shitstorm on the horizon, that we'll have to deal with for the next 5 or 10 years

58 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I think most want this over and done with - sadly, it's not proving to be as easy as it was implied. At some point, it looks like we're in for a bit of pain, it won't be seamless.

A major issue here, and I know you've got Boris down as a Winston Churchill type character (although to be fair, you did also say May was Thatcher like) but he really doesn't inspire confidence. Even Mounts has said he'd like to see Boris gone after we finally get Brexit done.....and this will happen, as the Tory party will have to get rid of him, as he seems to be utterly inept.

I've no doubt the UK will make a success of things moving forward, and our leaving will force reform in the EU, which is a good thing, it'd just be nice it things were straight forward. Even a blind man can see that to sign a deal and claim it to be "oven ready" and then to row back on that within 9 months isn't ideal. Unless we extend the transition period, then we've only got just over 100 days until we potentially enter the world of WTO, which people on both sides agree we don't really want. I know that you've said in the past that you would have no problem with it, but that's fine for you to say when you're sat on the other side of the world. Those of us who live and work here are a little concerned, as we can see a shitstorm on the horizon, that we'll have to deal with for the next 5 or 10 years

Sweep I think you are one of the most balanced contributors on this thread and I agree with that summary.  Most of us now see that 5-10 years of disruption and pain will follow in post brexit UK with this lot in charge.  However, there are other things as well, Scotland leaving the UK and peace in Northern Ireland being the two most prominent.  Will Brexit be worth paying such a price ? 

2 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Sweep I think you are one of the most balanced contributors on this thread and I agree with that summary.  Most of us now see that 5-10 years of disruption and pain will follow in post brexit UK with this lot in charge.  However, there are other things as well, Scotland leaving the UK and peace in Northern Ireland being the two most prominent.  Will Brexit be worth paying such a price ? 

Until we get there, we'll not know, I'd rather we didn't break up the Union, but there will be plenty who won;t be overly bothered. Regarding NI, I think it's clear that those running the show really don't give a toss either way about them

2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Until we get there, we'll not know, I'd rather we didn't break up the Union, but there will be plenty who won;t be overly bothered. Regarding NI, I think it's clear that those running the show really don't give a toss either way about them

It certainly looks that way. 

9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Oh sweep. I think you’re wonderful 😘😘😘

i also agree that they don’t give a toss about NI. If they did they wouldn’t have signed the WA in the first place. 

what’s more important to us the union or our relationship with the EU? That’s the million dollar question. I know what I would choose and I’m a unionist. But I’m also a realist and if it’s a choice of WTO and the union or a deal and no union I know what gets my vote 

• Site Supporter

Are people seriously saying that England will be stronger without the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish?

I'm English and proud, but the UK is much more formidable than the sum of it's parts.

Scotland leaving the union would be absolute wank.

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

Are people seriously saying that England will be stronger without the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish?

I'm English and proud, but the UK is much more formidable than the sum of it's parts.

We know that, and I think enough Scots know that as well, so we should be OK. I'd guess that NI is the real issue, as I can see them reuniting with the rest of Ireland in the near future, especially if they end up in some sort of unpleasant "no mans land" which finds them neither in nor out of the EU

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Militarily it would be a fucking disaster. The UK's nuclear deterrant would be virtually inoperable without a base on the Clyde. Although I suppose some might see that as a good thing.