Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Members
3 hours ago, kent_white said:

Got to be a GE for me - although I can see why they desperately wouldn't want one......

Because it would defy political logic. The reds don't want one either but they have to pay it lip service for the proletariat and those who contribute a few quid each week/month to their pay packets.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Because it would defy political logic. The reds don't want one either but they have to pay it lip service for the proletariat and those who contribute a few quid each week/month to their pay packets.

Pretty much

Starmer has been sat on the fence that long he must have arse splinters by now. 

Yet to hear any policies from Labour,  they would give themselves some credibility by actually saying how they would do thing differently. 

I know the opposition are meant to be just that, but they're currently the political version of Statler and Wardorf.. 

7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

They'd take one this afternoon if it was offered. And they would win it by a wide margin according to the polls. Which is exactly why they won't get one. 

The Tories have got a couple of years to try and claw back some shred of credibility. Gonna be a tough ask in this economic climate. 

Unfortunately we've pushed ourselves into a position where whoever is in charge is going to find things enormously difficult. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

Pretty much

Yet to hear any policies from Labour,  they would give themselves some credibility by actually saying how they would do thing differently. 

I know the opposition are meant to be just that, but they're currently the political version of Statler and Wardorf.. 

Stockholm Syndrome

7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

BOLTY FACT CHECK

This week we've had emails from the Labour Party to

1) Donate towards an election fund

2) Join a nationwide online seminar about how you can help join in campaigning in a national election

3) Seek out your local party and help prepare for an election 

They really do want an election.

• Site Supporter

Whilst it’s simply a case that the Tory party just keep rolling various turds in glitter, chucking them out front then flushing them within days as the glitter falls off - we once again hope that the latest incumbent can do some actual work.

To that end, if Sunak can keep Mogg, Dorries, Shapps and a few other unflushables away from the big jobs, he has my backing if only because we really need some work to be done.

2 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Pretty much

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

First you have to look at what the Tories have delivered in 12 years.  Austerity under Cameron when services were cut to the bone and police numbers reduced by 20k. That contributes to crime levels today when only 6% of thefts lead to a conviction in the UK. The party of law and order? 

Then we have had brexit, our economy has shrunk and we have critical labour shortages and both NI and Scotland are in a mess as neither voted for this. The unionist party ?

Then we had the corruption and lies under Boris Johnson where PPE contracts were given preferentially to Tory friends and donors. Meanwhile we were in lockdown whilst parties were held in Downing Street. 

Finally we had the economic disaster that was Liz Truss. The party we can trust with the economy?

Once you can tell us why they should be given any more time we can then look at what labour offer. However, we have seen many of their policies copied belatedly by the Tories so there must be something in them.

Edited by Farrelli

'Labour have no policies' is just the latest whataboutery from Tories unable to defend the shit show of their own making.

They've plenty of em.  The Tories even nicked some of em.  It's usually the 1st question thrown at any shadow cabinet minister that comes on the box, you just have to listen.  The energy windfall tax probably being the most prominent and talked about example. 

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

First you have to look at what the Tories have delivered in 12 years.  Austerity under Cameron when services were cut to the bone and police numbers reduced by 20k. That contributes to crime levels today when only 6% of thefts lead to a conviction in the UK. The party of law and order? 

Then we have had brexit, our economy has shrunk and we have critical labour shortages and both NI and Scotland are in a mess as neither voted for this. The unionist party ?

Then we had the corruption and lies under Boris Johnson where PPE contracts were given preferentially to Tory friends and donors. Meanwhile we were in lockdown whilst parties were held in Downing Street. 

Finally we had the economic disaster that was Liz Truss. The party we can trust with the economy?

Once you can tell us why they should be given any more time we can then look at what labour offer. However, we have seen many of their policies copied belatedly by the Tories so there must be something in them.

While I think it is time for a change you cannot underestimate the challenges this government has had in the last 7 years, would Labour have done much better, I doubt it but the Tories have had more than long enough and I think the country needs a new government and a new vision, lets see how it goes. 

19 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

While I think it is time for a change you cannot underestimate the challenges this government has had in the last 7 years, would Labour have done much better, I doubt it but the Tories have had more than long enough and I think the country needs a new government and a new vision, lets see how it goes. 

So much harm has been self inflicted though.

19 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

So much harm has been self inflicted though.

In the whataboutery column I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have had;

Partygate (and staff laughing about parties during the pandemic)

Special Advisors driving to test their eyesight

The leading Civil Service mandarin stepping down

In the I'm absolutely sure it wouldn't have happened column;

Brexit

The Peppa Pig Speech

Trying to send people to Rawanda as actual government policy

Liz Truss as PM

Giving large government contracts to pub landlords (and overall lack of transparency on awarding contracts)

Dido Harding. 

Falsly accusing the opposition leader of failing to prosecute Jimmy Saville, leading to protesters following said leader and the PM having to withdraw his statement.

The War on Tofu

And now...austerity mark two from a man richer than the King.

But Miliband couldn't eat a sandwich, so you know, whatevs

4 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Pretty much

Each to their own and all that..

But I really struggle to understand how anybody working in state education could vote Tory.

38 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

In the whataboutery column I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have had;

Partygate (and staff laughing about parties during the pandemic)

Special Advisors driving to test their eyesight

The leading Civil Service mandarin stepping down

In the I'm absolutely sure it wouldn't have happened column;

Brexit

The Peppa Pig Speech

Trying to send people to Rawanda as actual government policy

Liz Truss as PM

Giving large government contracts to pub landlords (and overall lack of transparency on awarding contracts)

Dido Harding. 

Falsly accusing the opposition leader of failing to prosecute Jimmy Saville, leading to protesters following said leader and the PM having to withdraw his statement.

The War on Tofu

And now...austerity mark two from a man richer than the King.

But Miliband couldn't eat a sandwich, so you know, whatevs

Aye, there has been so much wrong it is hard to remember it all. Not forgetting Bozos attempt to change the law to save Owen Patterson and then trying to convince everyone it was incidental to the reforms being proposed.  The corruption has been unbelievable at times.

Labour are in opposition and they know that won't change in the next two years.

They don't have to say what their policies will be, because they can't know what they'll need to do, until nearer the time.

Meanwhile, sitting back and watching the Tories fuck it up is a decent election strategy. Not being Tory is a decent starting point.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind.

I dunno, many teachers feel that LEAs are useless and that giving funds directly to schools and educators is better.

It was a policy that the Conservatives brought in and was followed up by Labour.

Certainly I've known more Tories in education at senior level than Labour. Although this has probably shifted over the last 12 years given the stinging cuts. But I wouldn't really know anymore as most of my family have retired.

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I dunno, many teachers feel that LEAs are useless and that giving funds directly to schools and educators is better.

It was a policy that the Conservatives brought in and was followed up by Labour.

Certainly I've known more Tories in education at senior level than Labour. Although this has probably shifted over the last 12 years given the stinging cuts. But I wouldn't really know anymore as most of my family have retired.

It’s a bit like saying you’re sat in a big bucket of shit, but you’d rather stay in it because you think the bucket you can’t see over there might have even smellier shit in it.