Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Forest

Marc505

10 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Talk of potting Parky is just mental imo, where did folk expect us to be at this stage of the season?

Who can you name that would come in  and suddenly turn us into a decent Championship side?

Be careful what you wish for.

Yep namely ipswich getting rid of mcarthy

• Moderators

Bollocks to be careful for what you wish for

I wish PP would get his shit together and deliver the good performances we see every now again on a more regular basis

If KA wants to keep him in charge he needs to stop wishing 20k would turn up every week and happy clap for 90 minutes

Until KA finds investment this is our lot, even though I'm sure there are managers out there who could do better 

Like Mick McCarthy, who I'm sure Ipswich probably wish they hadn't potted right now

On tonight they were just better than us and the best team i have seen at the unibol this season.

Better at controlling the ball dribbling and pace.

Yes we were poor but we still have a poor set of players very few would get into any of the teams outside the bottom 6 in this league.

Williams maybe (although erratic tonight) olowski I can see maybe hobbs.

The style is defensive because we are better at that than attacking.

Sorry but parky is as good as it gets as does the style until there is money to change things.

• Site Supporter

What a shambolic performance from front to back and on the bench.

i’m sick of starting games on the back foot especially at home. Williams and Lowe as a midfield 2 simply never will offer enough. Williams has been poor for me after a bright start at PNE.

The 2 wingers were abysmal. Little played like he’d been to the chippy pre match. Worst of all, Parky is starting to sound like a broken record too.

Last season, we somehow dug out some great home wins to dig ourselves out the shit. I’m struggling to justify thinking I can see this group doing the same. Whether you’re a Parky fan or not, I honestly think he’s on very thin ice because I can’t see him turning it around. A win is a must on Saturday

Football is a simple game and we have 2 major problems:

1) Without the ball - as identified by Gumbo; we press as individuals rather than a team and that’s when decent sides pass it around us into the spaces left and pick us off - so we will concede. My contribution towards that is the belief that it is down to constant personnel and shape changes - they don’t know what they’re supposed to be doing and/or have knowledge of what those around them will be doing.

2) With the ball - we create fuck all. 1 shot on target last night. We are actually playing less hoof ball when’s a Beevers doesn’t play and than last season but it’s not getting us anywhere as the quality and confidence isn’t there - our wide men especially make bad decisions and we are very predictable (hello wingers playing on their weaker side).

Also and this is gonna sound all buttered hot dog,  but there weren’t even any bovril or hot vimto last night. 1 shot on target and can’t get a nice hot drink (the tea and coffee is wank), can’t drink alcohol cos there’s no train back. 

KA is mental if he thinks folk are gonna come in droves. Which bit of that is remotely enticing?

It’s red button for me for any evening matches from now on. ST or no ST; it’s all just depressing

8 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

1) Without the ball - as identified by Gumbo; we press as individuals rather than a team and that’s when decent sides pass it around us into the spaces left and pick us off - so we will concede. My contribution towards that is the belief that it is down to constant personnel and shape changes - they don’t know what they’re supposed to be doing and/or have knowledge of what those around them will be doing.

2) With the ball - we create fuck all. 1 shot on target last night. We are actually playing less hoof ball when’s a Beevers doesn’t play and than last season but it’s not getting us anywhere as the quality and confidence isn’t there - our wide men especially make bad decisions and we are very predictable (hello wingers playing on their weaker side).

Also and this is gonna sound all buttered hot dog,  but there weren’t even any bovril or hot vimto last night. 1 shot on target and can’t get a nice hot drink (the tea and coffee is wank), can’t drink alcohol cos there’s no train back. 

KA is mental if he thinks folk are gonna come in droves. Which bit of that is remotely enticing?

It’s red button for me for any evening matches from now on. ST or no ST; it’s all just depressing

Bovril for the prawn sandwich brigade? 

Slumming it now jules

good post btw 

People will vote with their feet. 

Nobody will give a fuck about Port Vale away or Forest at home and 6,000 winding up orders.

We will start kicking on 10k if it carries on.

As I many other said earlier in the season, we will always be susceptible to a 0-3 bumming the way we set up, but the grafted out 1-0 wins here and there will keep us safe and keep the fans generally happy.

He needs one of couple of those wins pretty sharpish to stop it turning sour.

Lose against Hull and a going over at villa and it’s curtains.

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

People will vote with their feet. 

Nobody will give a fuck about Port Vale away or Forest at home and 6,000 winding up orders.

We will start kicking on 10k if it carries on.

As I many other said earlier in the season, we will always be susceptible to a 0-3 bumming the way we set up, but the grafted out 1-0 wins here and there will keep us safe and keep the fans generally happy.

He needs one of couple of those wins pretty sharpish to stop it turning sour.

Lose against Hull and a going over at villa and it’s curtains.

Been saying this for yonks season ticket holders ain’t bothering let alone joe blogs at £28 a pop

if they actually counted people through the turnstiles instead of including st them figures will change 

I honestly couldn’t think of anything worse than watching that shower at the moment so there isn’t a cat in hells chance of the floaters turning up in their dozens let alone their thousands 

only 1 fella responsible for it too. Yes the players are limited blah blah but HE is making them worse than they are. Simple as that 

43 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Agree with all of that Jules.

I’d add that defensively when we press as ones and twos it’s also due to lack of fitness. We should be making up for lack of ability with the highest of fitness levels but instead they chase the ball for a few minutes and then spend the next 10 recovering. When you add that to the fact that one or two have gone to press with the rest 40 yards behind them it’s ridiculously easy for opponents to play a couple of passes and be in acres of space, usually into our half.

Going forward we struggle because we sit so deep. The defence sit on their 18 yard line and generally the midfield are no more than 10 yards further forward, once we finally do win the ball back it’s usually Lowe or Williams no more than half way into our own half, he then has to find one of the wingers and hope they can take us 60 yards up the pitch, which they can’t because they’re utter shit, or he’s playing a 40 yard ball to Magennis who is on his knees because he’s just been chasing lost causes for the previous 5 minutes.

We inevitably lose the ball and the cycle starts again with so much pressure on the defence. There’s only so long you can rely on Wheaters last minute heroics. It might look like Parky is setting up to keep it defensively tight but it’s having the complete opposite effect in my opinion.

Just now, Eddie said:

I’d add that defensively when we press as ones and twos it’s also due to lack of fitness. We should be making up for lack of ability with the highest of fitness levels but instead they chase the ball for a few minutes and then spend the next 10 recovering. When you add that to the fact that one or two have gone to press with the rest 40 yards behind them it’s ridiculously easy for opponents to play a couple of passes and be in acres of space, usually into our half.

Going forward we struggle because we sit so deep. The defence sit on their 18 yard line and generally the midfield are no more than 10 yards further forward, once we finally do win the ball back it’s usually Lowe or Williams no more than half way into our own half, he then has to find one of the wingers and hope they can take us 60 yards up the pitch, which they can’t because they’re utter shit, or he’s playing a 40 yard ball to Magennis who is on his knees because he’s just been chasing lost causes for the previous 5 minutes.

We inevitably lose the ball and the cycle starts again with so much pressure on the defence. There’s only so long you can rely on Wheaters last minute heroics. It might look like Parky is setting up to keep it defensively tight but it’s having the complete opposite effect in my opinion.

Absolutely spot on. I’ll give Lowe his due, the majority of the time he looks quite composed and wants to give the ball after he’s won it. Problem is whether it be Williams,Vela, O’Neil or whoever are all that close to him and not one of them gamble on going the other way and breaking past the opposition midfield Lowe has no options other than, CB’s, FB’s or keeper. They then have the same problem and it’s leathered up to an isolated Magennis. It all breaks down and it starts over and over again. It’s ok being conservative particularly against the top end sides but we simply can’t get out because of it. So we end up with 2 lines of white shirts 25 yards from our own goal

little wonder we have the fewest shots in the league. 75% of a game is like a training drill. Attack V defence. 

Anyone who can sit there and watch that shit deserves a fucking medal. It’s terrible. No intent, no passion, aimless style of play

Doidge would have been buzzing after scoring on Saturday. Should’ve started with Donaldson as personally although he’s isolated and runs a bit magennis is a cart horse and nowhere near good enough 

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good post and spot on but I’ll also add that the players need to look at themselves theyre not fit they can’t control or pass the ball and what summed it up last night was the short throw to Williams he completely missed the ball with his foot then his chest and it finally hit him on the hand, utter gash from a pro footballer and he wasn’t the only one 4-5 times we had have chance in their box and various players scuffed the shot wide or it tamely back to the keeper.  I’d have the players in all 8am this morning to watch the game on repeat 3 times at least to show them what a set of lazy untalented group they really are. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

34 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Been saying this for yonks season ticket holders ain’t bothering let alone joe blogs at £28 a pop

if they actually counted people through the turnstiles instead of including st them figures will change 

I'm sure BBC did freedom of information requests to various local councils to find out actual attendances over official attendances at premier League games recently. I'd be interested to see what last night's was.

I wanted PP gone after last season. Difficult one as he is a likeable bloke but his tactics/player choices just seem crazy week in week out.

Ill not take away from forest being good as they knew how to exploit weakness and clearly did their homework on us. Some of our stuff was 3rd rate last night.

Sadly I think half the job of managing BWFC will be dealing with Ken (which Phil does well) I just fear no one worth his salt will enjoy our regime currently. But that should not completely takeover the managing the team aspect and make PP untouchable.

Also the longer 'takeover talks' go on I'd assume new owners would want clauses for relegation in any deal (see Newcastle) and this would surely kill any takeover as you'd assume Kens slice would be sacrificed if the rest is to clear actual debt. 

We start slow every single week.  The opposition must say start fast, get the first goal and then they will struggle to get back in it - they then catch us on the break and game over.

Why aren't we better in posession ? They are professional footballers for gods sake, surely part of that is being able to pass 10 yards to someone in the same coloured shirt ??

if we are going to lump it forward, I also can't understand why the midfield don't push quickly so that they are ready for any knock downs or flick ons.

i thought the 2 wingers we started with were woeful, one costing a goal and the other costing a yellow card for Lowe.  Why, when we had a bit of momentum in the last 10 at Rotherham, didn't we start with that team?  You play well, (Donaldson and diodge) and you don't start - and it's the same every week.

ok - I thought forest were decent, but we make teams look decent, we never seem to let the opposition worry about us.

and finally, how in gods name does sweaty Ken think we are going to get 20,000 paying customers to watch that .... Give your head a wobble pal.

see you Saturday - can't wait.........