Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stadium tour's

Underpants

Did ours with the mrs when we were flying in the prem, really nice old chap walked us around, said hello to big Sam as he was going into his office and he totally blanked me. Mrs said it was brutal but I tried to laugh it off and then cryed myself to sleep later on. 

We have a top ground that we should all be proud of, even if it does need a jet wash here and there.

Did ours when we first moved and thinking we were big time.

Also did Real tour when we beat Atletico. 

I enjoyed them.

For a work thing we were at Pride Park and they offered us a stadium tour in our dinner hour. I couldn’t of been less interested if I was going to the Tony Pulis museum.

Did the Bernabeu whilst in Madrid for our game, Bayern Munich on my stag, Old Trafford when I was a nipper,, but Wanderers was my favourite.

Went round once with some old bloke who told how he was retired and doing it for something to do, then once with Paul Holliday and some American mates who were over for the Peterborough promotion game. Loved it both times 

3 hours ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Got dragged to the Swamp as a kid along with a fellow Wanderers supporter by a Munchen supporting schoolmate and his dad. I strongly suspect it was some kind of tawdry conversion attempt. The futility of the exercise was exposed in short order, the highlight of the day bring me and the other Wanderers fan sticking our fingers up the nose of the bust of Matt Busby. 

Did Barca about ten years back it was okay. 

Fucking weirdos Man U fans

For some reason I did the San Siro about 10 years ago. It was a bit dull. I'm not sure if ever do a tour of any ground again, I just can't see what's interesting about seeing changing rooms and some old shirts and trophies

Did the Reebok not long after it was built, then again when we got my dad a box for his birthday.

Done Croke Park, old Trafford (school trip), Turner Field and probably a couple when I was a kid I've forgotten.

It comes down to how interesting the tour guide is. The guy at Turner Field could have made anything interesting.

I did the Bolton tour not long after it opened too, like Tomski said it made me feel like we were big time. I wonder how some of those spotless, brand new looking rooms and facilities look today.

Only just remembered I did a Mestalla tour in Valencia as well which probably shows how much of an impression it left on me! Massive, steep stands but just a bit meh.

Fantastic city Valencia, though.

10 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Nou Camp, Camp Nou

And Calella wasn't shit? 

If not, that's good to hear. Only ever spent one weekend there and was too pissed to remember very much about it.

10 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Di Vinci or the Ninja Turtle?

Di Caprio, I'm guessing

Done ours, Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid, Barcelona, Málaga, Valencia, Ajax, Old Trafford (family were over from Ireland). Always enjoyed doing them. Bernabeu is pretty special from that top tier.

Edited by tshape

10 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I've only been when it was in Preston.

It was good but I honestly can't remember if I paid or if it was free

I did it at Preston as well, think it was free then as well. It was only at the turn of this year (or back end of last year, at least) that they started charging. 

• Site Supporter

Also did Real Madrid while there for our game with Atletico Madrid. Decent trip with a great trophy room...

And pictures of Campo made it better. 

Also done WBA when my son and daughter were mascots there. 

Best trip, however, was an unofficial official trip round the Reebok as a fact-finding excursion. Walking across the North Stand roof was something you just don't get on the official trips. 

2 hours ago, tomski said:

For a work thing we were at Pride Park and they offered us a stadium tour in our dinner hour. I couldn’t of been less interested if I was going to the Tony Pulis museum.

That's a brilliant idea! All the former US presidents get a museum built after they finish. So you could do the same for managers.

It's got immense potential!

What exhibits to put in the various ones?

• Members
12 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Nou Camp, Camp Nou

Do you still give the Old Trafford tour?

Nou Camp

Bernabeu

San Siro

Stadio Del Alpi 

Allianz Stadium (Juventus)

Yankee Stadium

Madison Square Garden

La Bombonera (Boca Juniors)

20 hours ago, marple whites said:

Ajax was really good, must have been similar time and I also thought ours was decent.

thats the only 2 I have done

I did Ajax in 2002, got the obligatory pic at side of pitch.  Excellent.  Arsenal were playing there the day in a pre-season tournament and there were quite of their fans knocking around.  Amsterdam a great place (off topic).  Also done Barcelona and Real Madrid, enjoyed them all, havent done any in UK.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Kane57 said:

Did the Bernabeu whilst in Madrid for our game, Bayern Munich on my stag, Old Trafford when I was a nipper,, but Wanderers was my favourite.

Went round once with some old bloke who told how he was retired and doing it for something to do, then once with Paul Holliday and some American mates who were over for the Peterborough promotion game. Loved it both times 

That will have been my dad! 80 in July, loves doing his tours. If/when you book one allow a bit of time, he never keeps it to an hour 😂 He’s missing it big style during lockdown 😞 

1 hour ago, desperado said:

That will have been my dad! 80 in July, loves doing his tours. If/when you book one allow a bit of time, he never keeps it to an hour 😂 He’s missing it big style during lockdown 😞 

jnr would love that, I didn't realise we still did them.

Don't take a cantankerous old man with dementia.

Grampa Spencer didn't fancy the gantry on the west stand so sat waiting for us  in the stands. Came back down not 5 minutes later and he was nowhere to be found.

Tour abandoned let the hunt for the old fella commence.

Fuck knows where he went in-between times but the security guard on the main entrance spotted a lost looking old man and put 2 and 2 together. Got there to find Grampa Spencer talking the guys ear off.

• Members
1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

Don't take a cantankerous old man with dementia.

Grampa Spencer didn't fancy the gantry on the west stand so sat waiting for us  in the stands. Came back down not 5 minutes later and he was nowhere to be found.

Tour abandoned let the hunt for the old fella commence.

Fuck knows where he went in-between times but the security guard on the main entrance spotted a lost looking old man and put 2 and 2 together. Got there to find Grampa Spencer talking the guys ear off.

I’ve had a couple of stray tour guests just appear in areas where they shouldn’t be. One guy knocked on my office door asking how he could get back to his tour. Security get a right bollocking when it happens. 

Did old Trafford and Anfield as a kid. Both pretty shit. 

Did Real Madrid hungover to fuck after Atletico and it was mint. The trophy room with 9 (at the time) European cups was impressive. Almost as impressive as the kiosk serving ale half way round. 

55 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Did old Trafford and Anfield as a kid. Both pretty shit. 

Did Real Madrid hungover to fuck after Atletico and it was mint. The trophy room with 9 (at the time) European cups was impressive. Almost as impressive as the kiosk serving ale half way round

That's quality! I remember one summer rocking up to Olympiastadion in Berlin with some people who hadn't been before to see if there were any tours on.

You could choose to pay for a tour or pay to just amble around the stadium unattended. Did the latter, literally had free reign of any seat in the ground, no access to pitch or changing rooms etc but the bar was open. Sat in July sun with a beer looking out at a freshly laid pitch in an empty stadium with no hassle from anyone. It was bizarre but unique.

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

That's quality! I remember one summer rocking up to Olympiastadion in Berlin with some people who hadn't been before to see if there were any tours on.

You could choose to pay for a tour or pay to just amble around the stadium unattended. Did the latter, literally had free reign of any seat in the ground, no access to pitch or changing rooms etc but the bar was open. Sat in July sun with a beer looking out at a freshly laid pitch in an empty stadium with no hassle from anyone. It was bizarre but unique.

I started a 'wanderers wanderers wanderers' chant in an empty bernabeu followed by shit ground no fans! 🤣