Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Worst away day

Horwich

• Members
1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Portsmouth that 4-0 midweek horrible trip?

40 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

We set off mid morning got there about 7 horrendous journey

One of the worst. No roof. Miserable

Edited by Rudy

1 hour ago, Whitestar said:

Never watched it yet, was it 3-0 at half time? Can't remember but if it was i must have also at left at the 4th, as i was deffo still there in the second half.

Remember being at home eating pizza and my Niece texting to say thier coach was just leaving Wembley.

It was.  I was grasping a Reading shaped straw and hoping we'd come back in the 2nd half.  The tube was full of competitors who'd just done the London marathon and seeing our shirts were asking how we'd got on.  It's the only time in my life that I was embarrassed to be a Wanderers fan.

1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

It was.  I was grasping a Reading shaped straw and hoping we'd come back in the 2nd half.  The tube was full of competitors who'd just done the London marathon and seeing our shirts were asking how we'd got on.  It's the only time in my life that I was embarrassed to be a Wanderers fan.

Stack of Whites were streaming out and the atmosphere was toxic, couldn't believe how quiet the roads were though, the North circular onto the M1 was very quiet as it had been closed at a jcn near there and had probably just reopened.

Stopped at a services for a burger king and was full of marathon runners and the odd Whites fan avoiding eye contact with each other.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Dimron said:

Went to all those (and more), never seen BWFC win at Wembley... family have banned me

It hasn’t been a happy hunting ground for us. Apart from wins v Torquay and Reading I don’t think we’ve won there since 1958; Bristol City, Tranmere, Watford, Villa, Liverpool, Stoke… have I missed any?

Probably not the worst in the grand scheme of things, but losing 5-4 (we were 5-2 down until very late so the score line flatters us) at Peterborough in 2012 was shite.

Torrential rain as we drove down there, games being called off all over the place, nearly crashed driving through a flood on the motorway, thought we’d dick them because it was the 1st season in the championship, found ourselves 5-2 down, walked out and drove all the way home.

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

Probably not the worst in the grand scheme of things, but losing 5-4 (we were 5-2 down until very late so the score line flatters us) at Peterborough in 2012 was shite.

Torrential rain as we drove down there, games being called off all over the place, nearly crashed driving through a flood on the motorway, thought we’d dick them because it was the 1st season in the championship, found ourselves 5-2 down, walked out and drove all the way home.

Quite enjoyed that one. Stayed over and ended up at a Peterborough work event with free drinks. Also big shout out to the nameless person who needed more jeans

Its still pretty fresh so doesnt really count but Im sure Ill be telling the grandkids about the night we got humiliated away at Fleetwood Town in the middle of a hurricane and they played captian pugwash music every time they scored with their players calling us wankers as we huddled under the stand.

In order of despair:

1. Tranmere: playoff final because  we finished higher in the league & beat them home & away Playoff defeats are usually worse because there is no straw to clutch at. Comstive’s miss still haunts me

2. Stoke at Wembley no need to elaborate.

3. Chelsea , relegated trying to play them off the park when we should have been kicking them up in the air (they had a euro-final of some description the next match)

4. Watford playoff final , we really failed to turn up despite us having the better players.

5. Villa Wembley semi , Dean fckg Holdsworth.

6.Tranmere again league cup semi 2nd leg  , dicked 0-3 in front of that shower of shite + Aldridge.One of the few games I have left early.

Edited by Take Hunt Off

On 01/02/2022 at 17:00, gonzo said:

Its still pretty fresh so doesnt really count but Im sure Ill be telling the grandkids about the night we got humiliated away at Fleetwood Town in the middle of a hurricane and they played captian pugwash music every time they scored with their players calling us wankers as we huddled under the stand.

And still made the play offs 🤞 

On 01/02/2022 at 17:14, Take Hunt Off said:

In order of despair:

1. Tranmere: playoff final because  we finished higher in the league & beat them home & away Playoff defeats are usually worse because there is no straw to clutch at. Comstive’s miss still haunts me

2. Stoke at Wembley no need to elaborate.

3. Chelsea , relegated trying to play them off the park when we should have been kicking them up in the air (they had a euro-final of some description the next match)

4. Watford playoff final , we really failed to turn up despite us having the better players.

5. Villa Wembley semi , Dean fckg Holdsworth.

6.Tranmere again league cup semi 2nd leg  , dicked 0-3 in front of that shower of shite + Aldridge.One of the few games I have left early.

did all of them and they are all, unfortunately, good shouts ☹️

Spurs away League cup q/f.

Took ages to get there and was very late to the game, it was 2-0 as we were going to our seats. The third went in as we sat down. 6-0 stayed to the end. Got back to the car and the nearside front window was smashed, attempted break-in.

Drove back to Solihull with an icy blast going through the car.

• Site Supporter

Villa at Wembley wasn't nice but for some reason the 2-2 draw at Tranmere sticks in my mind. The one that stopped us getting 100 points 100 goals or whatever. They celebrated like they had won the league the cunts. Plus I have never known a stand so steep, twatted my knee slipping off a step and was it moody as fuck walking to and from the ground.

• Site Supporter

Been to most of the aforementioned but Accrington away a few weeks ago for me. Worst away day ever, pissed wet through, shit pubs, apart from Grants, absolutely shit performance, but mainly the behaviour of our fans on the terrace towards friendly stewards. Then listening to two old boys on the train home talking absolute shite to each other. Could have called them out on loads of stuff they were saying but decided to keep quiet. At least at all the others mentioned I’ve salvaged a good day out. Maybe I was just not in the mood. Walked home from Bolton train station to westhoughton in the pissing rain as there was no buses or taxis free. Had a shit kebab at some shitty kebab shop near Hulton Lane on the walk back. Vowed never to go to an away game again. Recent events have made me rethink 🤔

10 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Been to most of the aforementioned but Accrington away a few weeks ago for me. Worst away day ever, pissed wet through, shit pubs, apart from Grants, absolutely shit performance, but mainly the behaviour of our fans on the terrace towards friendly stewards. Then listening to two old boys on the train home talking absolute shite to each other. Could have called them out on loads of stuff they were saying but decided to keep quiet. At least at all the others mentioned I’ve salvaged a good day out. Maybe I was just not in the mood. Walked home from Bolton train station to westhoughton in the pissing rain as there was no buses or taxis free. Had a shit kebab at some shitty kebab shop near Hulton Lane on the walk back. Vowed never to go to an away game again. Recent events have made me rethink 🤔

The pubs were what saved Accrington for me. Got there just before 12 and didn't leave until half 8!