Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Best loans we never signed !

Krimzon

Been done to death but I dont give a shit , Im doing it again. (As we are once again falling in love with players that arent ours)

Gotta be in your life time !

You only get 5 , Ill start.

No order.

John Newsome

John Dreyer

Martin Pike

Andy May

Andy Dibble 

(so want to put Vincent Candela)

Edited by waddy256

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Seem to think Ritchie was permanent but had signed a pre-contract back in Scotland. 
might be talking out my rectum tho

They’d signed pre contracts before moving to us. I think later in life Ritchie had alluded to it being a regret he wasn’t able to stay at the wanderers for longer.

4 hours ago, waddy256 said:

so want to put Vincent Candela

Why not ? Best modern era full back we had & would have been another step-change if we'd kept him. Unfortunately his model wife wasn't for being here iirc.

Definitely Craig Dawson. What a career he's had.

The Juke. Lower level but what we so badly needed at the time.

Newsome, similar. Dibble, what a difference he made. 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Were Andy Johnston and Paul Ritchie loans? 

Changed the season them two and got us in play offs.

Allan Johnston, you mean? Sacked by Queen of the South at the weekend, no less. Ritchie was ace but we loaned him from Hearts and he’d already signed a pre-contract with Rangers.

I don’t think we ever had a sniff of signing Sturridge permanently, but Dawson was very much one who got away.

Jon Newsome was awesome, though I’m not sure he’d have been good enough to come up with us to the Premier League. Similarly Colin Hendry was unreal when he came in. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I was so disappointed at losing Liam Bridcutt at the time. All about context I suppose but he was a symbol of what Hill might have achieved.

He was very good in a very poor side. We dodged a bullet because he’s constantly injured 

The obvious two that stand out, but,  in reality, we were never to going sign are Wilshere (it's amazing how many people can't spell his name correctly) and Sturridge.

More realistic two we could've/should've are Dawson and Jutkiewicz.

I wouldn't be so sure we were no hopers for Sturridge at the time, an £8-£9million bid may well have got him. I'd like to think with the Prem money it could have been doable with the inevitable returns he would offer. 

I'll echo the Dawson shouts as well, could just tell he was some player and evidenced by a very very good career. 

A different end of the spectrum, I liked James Henry a lot, currently doing very well in that Oxford team and would be a nice addition to the way we play now.

The Juke and Craig Dawson were two we should have realistically been able to sign but couldn't.

Jon Newsome, Paul Richie and Matt Clarke have already been mentioned and did a great job for us, I'd have liked to have seen them stay longer.

Daniel Sturridge and Jack Wilshere were never coming to us permanently, unfortunately.