Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Moderators

we got set up last week but the eon network was down so wasn't sending any info, which was a good start

my advice is, if you're mrs is going to constantly check the meter and go on like "we've used £1.70 today already, that's up on this time yesterday, turn that light off" etc

then don't bother

• Members
2 minutes ago, Zico said:

we got set up last week but the eon network was down so wasn't sending any info, which was a good start

my advice is, if you're mrs is going to constantly check the meter and go on like "we've used £1.70 today already, that's up on this time yesterday, turn that light off" etc

then don't bother

I might use that against the Mrs given she leaves the lights on in every room she goes in 

• Site Supporter

Recently changed to Eon (not by choice) and they constantly phoned me to “arrange an engineers visit” to fit a smart meter. Each time I told them I didn’t want one. Each time they left it a couple of weeks and rang again. Again, I told them I had no interest.

Eventually someone phoned and asked me what my reasons were for not wanting one. I turned that around and asked why Eon wanted me to have one. The only reason they came up with was it would mean I didn’t need to give my meter readings. Well, big deal! I don’t actually mind sending my readings anyway. 
Apparently it tells me that kettles, ovens, heaters, hair dryers, etc., all send the meter into the red zone, identifying these appliances as expensive to run. 
Oh, I’ll not bother eating hot food or heating my house because the meter says it’ll cost me a lot of money.

fuck off!

15 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Recently changed to Eon (not by choice) and they constantly phoned me to “arrange an engineers visit” to fit a smart meter. Each time I told them I didn’t want one. Each time they left it a couple of weeks and rang again. Again, I told them I had no interest.

Eventually someone phoned and asked me what my reasons were for not wanting one. I turned that around and asked why Eon wanted me to have one. The only reason they came up with was it would mean I didn’t need to give my meter readings. Well, big deal! I don’t actually mind sending my readings anyway. 
Apparently it tells me that kettles, ovens, heaters, hair dryers, etc., all send the meter into the red zone, identifying these appliances as expensive to run. 
Oh, I’ll not bother eating hot food or heating my house because the meter says it’ll cost me a lot of money.

fuck off!

👍 This exactly.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, MickyD said:

fuck off!

Nail on head

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

fuck off!

We've been with Eon for years and I had the same endless calls and texts.

One day I told them to do it, but the smart meter would go straight in a drawer, where it is to this day. Sometimes I'd open that drawer there used to be a green glow, sometimes a red one. There's no glow at all now, the battery must be flatter than a witch's tit. It never made any difference to our lives anyway. If I want a brew or a piece of toast I want it now, not in the middle of the night.

It's only 'smart' for the supplier, not the customer. 

10 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

We've been with Eon for years and I had the same endless calls and texts.

One day I told them to do it, but the smart meter would go straight in a drawer, where it is to this day. Sometimes I'd open that drawer there used to be a green glow, sometimes a red one. There's no glow at all now, the battery must be flatter than a witch's tit. It never made any difference to our lives anyway. If I want a brew or a piece of toast I want it now, not in the middle of the night.

It's only 'smart' for the supplier, not the customer. 

Then you are missing out on one of life's greatest joys.

3 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

What is the crack with smart metres anyway? Our energy company have been hassling us non-stop to get one booked (called me last fcking Friday night) and we've got a slot now. But I hear that if you're on an old gas meter that it can affect that and mean you end up paying more. 

Have people on here mostly had positive experiences with them? I'm just a bit dubious after they were so desperate to get me signed up. 

I'm with Utility warehouse. 

Energy companies have been set a target of 85% conversion by end of 2024, which I think has been extended.

They want to avoid bad publicity by failing to meet expectations. If they ever realise they will all 'fail' then maybe the push for conversions will ease. 

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Then you are missing out on one of life's greatest joys.

Not at all. I have more midnight feasts than Billy Bunter. It's only recently I've had to resort to dining indoors. In the summer I've been known eat outside in shorts and tee shirt.

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

fuck off!

Brilliant

6 hours ago, MickyD said:

fuck off!

Sums it up

• Site Supporter

They make Jack shit difference to your usage, unless you observe and take action.

Mostly though, folk already use power when they need and put off things if they can.

They may become more useful later on though, to allow the network to more accurately meet demand at various times.

If you're a believer in conspiracies, then they may also be used to maximise profits for suppliers too by more accurately working out peak demand for households etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter

Jan/Feb are going to be very tough for a lot of folk.

My internet went down yesterday so I couldn’t switch the heating on until I got home because the Hive wasn’t working either. House was bastard freezing.

I jest a little, but folk Will genuinely be sat in freezing temperatures for weeks in their homes and you’d have to assume illness and death will follow.

Even the M&S meal deal has gone from £8 to £12x

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Jan/Feb are going to be very tough for a lot of folk.

My internet went down yesterday so I couldn’t switch the heating on until I got home because the Hive wasn’t working either. House was bastard freezing.

I jest a little, but folk Will genuinely be sat in freezing temperatures for weeks in their homes and you’d have to assume illness and death will follow.

Even the M&S meal deal has gone from £8 to £12x

And No way them feed 2 People 

iv not had heating on much this month 

but with Slight MAN FLU  its be on 24hrs a Day since Tue 

put my Meter Readings in For Nov for the Gas  only £38 for the month    and £16 for the Ele 

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, little whitt said:

And No way them feed 2 People 

iv not had heating on much this month 

but with Slight MAN FLU  its be on 24hrs a Day since Tue 

put my Meter Readings in For Nov for the Gas  only £38 for the month    and £16 for the Ele 

Are they for 2 people?

Maybe a pair of MIDGITS