Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

• Moderators
4 hours ago, gonzo said:

Or you could say that thumb headed news nonce drops in bombs out of context to sell clicks for his biscuit funds?

you know my position on this, but

i actually think it was a better article than some he knocks out

problem is, as i said yesterday, words dont convey the tone

3 hours ago, jmjhb said:

Yeah, he commutes from Chesterfield.

He sounds like he needs a few weeks off in the summer to recharge his batteries. 

He could do without being in the play off final then!  I do sympathise with clubs that get to the final purely from the "time off" point of view.  Whoever gets promoted from the play offs from any division can't waste any weeks lieing on a beach assuming the squad needs a bit of an overhaul.

FWIW I also sympathise with the workload of IE currently, its relentless and every game is important (unlike for eg 2 years ago when no games were important at this stage of the season).  Its doable when its going well, I'd hate to be in his shoes when we're losing 2 derbies in a week. 

Purely from a fatigue/focus perspective, thank god we got ourselves out of the BSM cup, a pity it wasn't earlier. 

• Site Supporter

I'm not sure Evatt would ever see a game as not important as he seems so "invested" in each one. Nor his employers for that matter, looking at places and prize money.

Maybe he should have a word with his inspiration; Pep in also emotional and intense, so he might have some tips for relaxation. 

6 hours ago, masi 51 said:

Our team cannot play his brand of football in the championship. We wont have 70% of the ball against teams like Norwich and Burnley etc

I dont think it is coincidence that we have a terrible record against teams that come to play against us with a high press

Teams that play football tend to do better in the Champo than hoofers do. Look at Ipswich and Sunderland before them compared to Rotherham, Wigan and Sheff Weds.

Championship teams are far too savvy and physical to be beaten by big diagonals and keeper launches.

I'd also like to think we'd have a slightly more mixed playing style like we did earlier in the season against more transitional sides and we'd be doing it with some higher calibre players

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, boltonboris said:

Teams that play football tend to do better in the Champo than hoofers do. Look at Ipswich and Sunderland before them compared to Rotherham, Wigan and Sheff Weds.

Championship teams are far too savvy and physical to be beaten by big diagonals and keeper launches.

I'd also like to think we'd have a slightly more mixed playing style like we did earlier in the season against more transitional sides and we'd be doing it with some higher calibre players

Although the good teams might occasionally throw a big diagonal or a keeper launch. It keeps a team from not second guessing you’re going to spend all game passing it from keeper to CB to other CB to keeper (repeat until one down then repeat again) the way we did at Wigan.

Summat that did strike me was that if a player had said what IE did then he would have frozen them out.

Did also think that if he's being a mard cunt when we could still go up automatically that he'd be a fucking disaster if we were in a relegation battle in the championship but one step at a time innit.

2 minutes ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

He’s back in tonight isn’t he 

Buzzing at the end with the fans singing his name.

His subs worked and we were fast paced and direct throughout the 2nd half.

Belting.

11 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Looks like he finally read the chapter by Allardyce and Pulis in his coaching manual tonight. 

He might not want to do it, but it bloody well worked.

It was nice to see him mix it up. If a team does nothing but play long ball, you can defend against it by doubling up on target men. If a team does nothing but tippy tapping football, you pack the midfield and press high or you go into a low block and leave them to it.

If they play long balls and passing football, you can’t double up in defence and pack the midfield. You leave gaps that can be exploited.

17 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Looks like he finally read the chapter by Allardyce and Pulis in his coaching manual tonight. 

He might not want to do it, but it bloody well worked.

Do we finally have a plan B?

Just now, L/H White said:

Do we finally have a plan B?

Looked like it. 

He's probably scrubbing himself with a Brillo pad in a bath of bleach, but it was good to see ... and even better to see it worked.

• Site Supporter

As heartbreaking as the Wigan and Blackpool week was (I had to keep off here) it’s clear he’s taken it as hard as we have.

Great to see him that passionate tonight. I’m chuffed for him.

I’m amazed (well maybe not) there was so much criticism and little realisation of a young manager still learning his trade. He’s going to make mistakes, he’s going to be emotional, he’s going to say the odd controversial thing.

He’s still a talented, passionate, progressive, committed and developing manager who needs our support as he nurtures and assembles a quality squad good enough to get promotion playing fantastic and exciting football. 

Tonight shows us it could still be very much on for this season. 

Sure we had a brief spell of going really direct earlier in the season. Was it Northampton? Seem to remember us all of a sudden wazzing balls over the top out of nowhere and it didn't come off?

A version of a Plan B. But was it him deciding to try another way or did the players do it themselves ?

Either way it was a change he's seemed too stubborn to make but was needed. I'm not demanding a return to big boot, just to know we can mix it up now & then.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

A version of a Plan B. But was it him deciding to try another way or did the players do it themselves ?

Either way it was a change he's seemed too stubborn to make but was needed. I'm not demanding a return to big boot, just to know we can mix it up now & then.

The players he brought on would suggest he intended it to go that way. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He has already said in interview, it was a ploy decided pre-match.

Wonder if he'd have said it had it not worked out? 😉