Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

2 hours ago, bwfc2003 said:

Exactly - remember in the Ian Greaves era - Bristol Rovers away last game (in fact after regular season had ended - a 12? goal win took us up on goal difference - couldnt believe the players didnt go all out for it 

That season was my first going to games although I wouldn't say I was invested in it, I was happy to go to any games anywhere.  But one of my clear memories is discussing the number of goals needed at Bristol Rovers (11 I think) at primary school and we decided it was very doable, all we had to do was pay Bristol Rovers enough to let in that many goals, sorted.

5 hours ago, nantwichwhite said:

All these critics and tacticians wouldn't it be piss funny if we actually went up!!!

But then all it would take is defeat in our first championship game for it to start again

• Site Supporter

We've sold over 15,000 STs, and Posh is sold out for aways. To me that says that IE is stiil the man for the job, and I agree. We don't even know what division we'll be in so that shows what the rank and file thinks.

In Sharon and IE we trust.

We're still in good hands. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Horwich said:

How long did it take Sunderland to get out of league 1?

On the other hand Plymouth came up from L2 and promoted again after 3 seasons 

That's where we're at now, and the manager thinks we're the best team in the league

So if they can do it, so can we

• Site Supporter
On 20/04/2024 at 11:43, BWFC_LOVE said:

When you look at it like this, I realise that for the most past, I’m only desperate for promotion so we keep hold of players (including potentially Maghoma), and for the additional funds that playing in the Championship brings.

While the standard down here is bad and you get too many teams spoiling games, it’s great being one of the bigger boys. Stockport, Mansfield and Wrexham all promoted. I’d do all of them aways. Few more that still need ticking off too.

15.5k season ticket holders tells you the fanbase is enjoying Evatt’s tenure. And I still hope we keep hold of him as long as possible. 

Exactly where I'm at.

Promotion, mid table, Play off, play off, 

Most fans in the league would love to have a manager achieve that! 

5 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Exactly where I'm at.

Promotion, mid table, Play off, play off, 

Most fans in the league would love to have a manager achieve that! 

Promotion, mid-table, play-off defeat, play-off promotion is progress

Promotion, mid-table, play-off defeat, play-off defeat looks like you've peaked.

#finemargins

I'm hearing a lot of criticisms of Gareth Southgate recently online and IRL, and it's so strange, their comments echo the issues myself and many fans on here have identified in Evatt. Poor record against other big teams, tactically naive, bad substitutions, ego, inconsistent performances, strange callups/ signing. A manager who is trying to reinvent the wheel without the competence to do it.

Interestingly, if we don't go up his record is similar too, 3 major competitions, One in no mans land and two failing in the quarter and semi finals.

Edited by Zog1
-

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Promotion, mid-table, play-off defeat, play-off promotion is progress

Promotion, mid-table, play-off defeat, play-off defeat looks like you've peaked.

#finemargins

What about Promotion, mid-table, play-off semi defeat, play-off final defeat?

#finermargins

Edited by Cheese

I genuinely think we have some of the best players in the league.

I'd love to see us play 4231 and move Santos to the Midfield next to Thomason, in front of them a mix of Paris, Collins and Williams or Nlundulu. It takes the good things that we do today and moves it forward, allows us to get those second balls and gives us flexibility. The lack of which is destroying us right now it's all so predictable. The weekend was the first time I've seen a Bolton player score a headed goal in open play all season (i know others have but its rare is my point).

Philippe Clement at Rangers is a perfect example of what we could be doing. The team play 4231, they're left without a left back due to injury so they switch formation to 352. When they attack sometimes the right back will make darting runs into the box, unexpected right? all of a sudden he's their top scorer, but sometimes he'll look for the overlap.

9 minutes ago, Zog1 said:

I'd love to see us play 4231 and move Santos to the Midfield next to Thomason

I’m sorry but I fundamentally disagree with this. Not the formation, but Santos into midfield.

Santos is very good at what he does, a lot of which is based on his pace and strength and general physicality. For me, though, he lacks in a number of core footballing skills, which would be cruelly exposed in a midfield role.

A League 1 (never mind Championship) Campo he is not.

30 minutes ago, Zog1 said:

I genuinely think we have some of the best players in the league.

I'd love to see us play 4231 and move Santos to the Midfield next to Thomason, in front of them a mix of Paris, Collins and Williams or Nlundulu. It takes the good things that we do today and moves it forward, allows us to get those second balls and gives us flexibility. The lack of which is destroying us right now it's all so predictable. The weekend was the first time I've seen a Bolton player score a headed goal in open play all season (i know others have but its rare is my point).

Philippe Clement at Rangers is a perfect example of what we could be doing. The team play 4231, they're left without a left back due to injury so they switch formation to 352. When they attack sometimes the right back will make darting runs into the box, unexpected right? all of a sudden he's their top scorer, but sometimes he'll look for the overlap.

Its very rare, but 2 in a week following Collins v Pompey.  The other 2 were Toal at Lincoln and Ashworth v Barnsley.

48 minutes ago, Zog1 said:

I'd love to see us play 4231 and move Santos to the Midfield next to Thomason, in front of them a mix of Paris, Collins and Williams or Nlundulu.

I'd love to know how, out of all the options, Nlundulu got in your list.

32 minutes ago, Rival Son said:

I’m sorry but I fundamentally disagree with this. Not the formation, but Santos into midfield.

Santos is very good at what he does, a lot of which is based on his pace and strength and general physicality. For me, though, he lacks in a number of core footballing skills, which would be cruelly exposed in a midfield role.

A League 1 (never mind Championship) Campo he is not.

In essence it would be to use his physicality, pace and above average passing to totally disrupt the way other teams play. To play like the defence is his goal and he is a loan defender. This keeps the ball where we need it.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I'd love to know how, out of all the options, Nlundulu got in your list.

Gomes would be there if he wasn't injured, so that would make Nlundulu like 3rd choice and more of an impact sub with his pace.

• Members
7 hours ago, Zog1 said:

In essence it would be to use his physicality, pace and above average passing to totally disrupt the way other teams play. To play like the defence is his goal and he is a loan defender. This keeps the ball where we need it.

If we moved Santos in midfield, the opposition would find it quite easy to move it round him

9 hours ago, Zog1 said:

Gomes would be there if he wasn't injured, so that would make Nlundulu like 3rd choice and more of an impact sub with his pace.

3rd choice !!

Whatever the number of strikers in our squad, including youth team and B team members, Dan would be last.

He's been an Evatt vanity project, to show how great he is identifying and developing a raw talent & the project has failed massively. He'll be loaned out to a 4th tier team  not do much there & eventually end up at Eastbourne or Havant.

We'll continue to do a Vaz Te with him believing he can suddenly start to achieve, he may even have occasional false dawns, but if he click & puts me in my place I'll (again) show my arse on the Town Hall steps.

11 hours ago, Zog1 said:

Tavernier?

Top scorer by virtue of scoring 20 penalties.

Edited by Traf

11 hours ago, Zog1 said:

I'd love to see us play 4231 and move Santos to the Midfield next to Thomason, in front of them a mix of Paris, Collins and Williams or Nlundulu.

So, as an example...

Baxter

A traditional Back four
(Jones, Toal, Johnston, Iredale?)

Santos Thomason

Collins Maghoma Williams

Nlundulu

We'd get battered every week

25 minutes ago, Traf said:

So, as an example...

Baxter

A traditional Back four
(Jones, Toal, Johnston, Iredale?)

Santos Thomason

Collins Maghoma Williams

Nlundulu

We'd get battered every week

What no one seems to be considering is these teams completely omit our Player/Player's Player of the Year...

I don't mind considering a change to the formation, but that wouldn't ever include Santos moving in to a midfield role, mainly because he'd be shite at it.