Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

If we moved Santos in midfield, the opposition would find it quite easy to move it round him

54 minutes ago, Traf said:

Tavernier?

Top scorer by virtue of scoring 20 penalties.

47 minutes ago, Traf said:

So, as an example...

Baxter

A traditional Back four
(Jones, Toal, Johnston, Iredale?)

Santos Thomason

Collins Maghoma Williams

Nlundulu

We'd get battered every week

21 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

I don't mind considering a change to the formation, but that wouldn't ever include Santos moving in to a midfield role, mainly because he'd be shite at it.

🤣

Come on @Zog1 you are not being serious with these comments/suggestions are you?

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I'd put Santos up front at the tip of a diamond formation with Dion at the back for his chasing down skills.

We can keep our little ditty for Ian Evatt doing that too.

I'd have Baxter taking corners. The deadballs he was playing to Gilks during the warm-up on Saturday were fucking incredible in terms of accuracy. Half the length of the pitch, and he was putting them on Gilks' toe every single time. It's amazing what you notice when you're there with kids who want to watch the players warm up, rather than being stood on the concourse having a beer and a good time.

Edited by Cheese

11 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I'd have Baxter taking corners. The deadballs he was playing to Gilks during the warm-up on Saturday were fucking incredible in terms of accuracy. Half the length of the pitch, and he was putting them on Gilks' toe every single time. It's amazing what you notice when you're there with kids who want to watch the players warm up, rather than being stood on the concourse having a beer and a good time.

You drink beer? 😂 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Steejay said:

Wow, you really meant it, then.

I just thought that you'd been supping all day and finished off with a couple of tabs of peyote before posting.

Yes, I really think Baxter should take our corners from now on. Stick Sheehan in goal in case they counter attack.

• Members
1 hour ago, royal white said:

To be fair if a professional footballer can’t ping a pass to someone’s feet in a warm up then there’s something wrong. 

Did you never see Clayton Donaldson in a warm-up?

• Site Supporter
On 22/04/2024 at 11:57, Cheese said:

I'm there early and In all honesty, I think Gilks work with the keepers pre match is top class. He really works them, all of them. I know you can say it's his job and you'd expect no less but I'm still impressed.

And I still wouldn't want him firing shots at me from 20 yards. 

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

I'm there early and In all honesty, I think Gilks work with the keepers pre match is top class. He really works them, all of them. I know you can say it's his job and you'd expect no less but I'm still impressed.

We always get there early as my lad likes watching the warm up. Totally agree, Gilks is a real asset and you can tell all the players love him. A mate of mine knows him quite well and says he's a top bloke.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

We always get there early as my lad likes watching the warm up. Totally agree, Gilks is a real asset and you can tell all the players love him. A mate of mine knows him quite well and says he's a top bloke.

I imagine he is a top bloke unless you cross him.

I recall how much difference he made to all the defence when he took over from Crellin. Santos was struggling, Gethin Jones was the same due to having no confidence in the whole defence. I’m sure Gilk’s on field bawling at them started the improvements.

Then and now I think he’s worth his shirt.

Edited by FrancisFogarty

42 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Grampa Spencer often wished we could get Fred Barber on penalties the force he put in to his shots in warm up. Imagine there's some power built up in legs that have spent their life booting a ball as far as they can down field.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)

This will feel pretty irrelevant if we don’t go up.

But nevertheless it highlights an improvement and progression on the last two seasons.

Edited by desperado

3 hours ago, desperado said:

This will feel pretty irrelevant if we don’t go up.

But nevertheless it highlights an improvement and progression on the last two seasons.

Can cut the data how you want of course - if you did it in half season chunks, the 2nd half of this season was our worst of the last 3.

• Site Supporter

Bolton fans expecting instant results.. 

Seems to be some mentality that we belong in the championship and all this is beneath us.. It's not.. we've made progress as we've been chasing the top all year, next year (if we don't go up), we'll have other barriers in the way, as other teams are also pushing for that progression. 

5 hours ago, maaarsh said:

Can cut the data how you want of course - if you did it in half season chunks, the 2nd half of this season was our worst of the last 3.

As you say you can do what you want with data.  I wouldn't personally be comparing either of the halves of this season with any other because one clearly contained relatively easy fixtures (ie more at home, more v lower sides), and the other was the opposite.  It certainly didn't feel like we got worse in the 2nd half of the season, some cracking entertainment, loads of goals interspersed with the odd bad game, similar to 1st half of season.

43 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

As you say you can do what you want with data.  I wouldn't personally be comparing either of the halves of this season with any other because one clearly contained relatively easy fixtures (ie more at home, more v lower sides), and the other was the opposite.  It certainly didn't feel like we got worse in the 2nd half of the season, some cracking entertainment, loads of goals interspersed with the odd bad game, similar to 1st half of season.

We had 48 points halfway through the season (23 games) automatic promotion was well on track at that point.

We got 39 points in the 2nd half of the season, too many draws cost us dear in the end.

We finished on 87 points - close but no cigar, 93 points was needed.

7 hours ago, maaarsh said:

If you cut it into the last game chunk then we've drawn every game this season. That's not promotion form. EVATT OUT!!! 🤣