Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Executor (H)

globaldiver

• Site Supporter

Aimson and Iredale in particular were superb 1st half with little nudges off the ball to make sure their strikers got nothing. Very professional.

Said for a while Jones and Santos are our weak links. Not getting carried away but Johnston and Toal also played very well.

Great to see Dion net for 3rd game running from open play. He's buzzing again in the box which he shyed away from a few weeks ago.

Dapo don't half take some kicks.

MOM Iredale or Toal for me. Solid win. Probably should have been more but getting 3 points was vital

28 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Aimson and Iredale in particular were superb 1st half with little nudges off the ball to make sure their strikers got nothing. Very professional.

Said for a while Jones and Santos are our weak links. Not getting carried away but Johnston and Toal also played very well.

Great to see Dion net for 3rd game running from open play. He's buzzing again in the box which he shyed away from a few weeks ago.

MOM Iredale or Toal for me. Solid win. Probably should have been more but getting 3 points was vital

Iredale a surprise one for me. He was getting turned inside out in the 2nd half by their full back and winger and needed bringing off. Their only joy was down his side 

1 minute ago, Lostock Whites said:

Iredale a surprise one for me. He was getting turned inside out in the 2nd half by their full back and winger and needed bringing off. Their only joy was down his side 

Tbf I did notice Exeter switched their full backs at half time as their number 2 was on their left side first half but was at right wing back second half. Both Iredale and Bradley did a great job on pushing forward first half so that Exeter effectively ended up with a back five. Not unlike us a few times in recent weeks. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Their keeper,  Jamaal Nlackman was linked with us 2 summers ago ... he was even our player according to Wiki (yes, I know) for a month ... then we swooped for Crellin.

A long term Chelsea reserve & loaned to Leeds, Sheffield U & Rotherham. Is he playing OK ?

Their keeper is fookin massive

5 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

Any floating fans won’t be coming back after that.

lucky not to let them back in it the 2nd half.

If we miss out on play offs / anything more because of goal difference today is the day we caused it. bizarre

You’ll have to try harder than that

😂😂

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

That's a big shout.  Aimson continually played long balls into touch today, I can see what he's trying to do, but distribution not at the level of Santos, and although excellent defensively today, we know he isn't as physically commanding as Santos (who is?).

Jones can make mistakes, as they all can, but we missed his overlapping runs, you don't get that from Toal or Aimson.  It meant we were penned back 2nd half instead of giving Exeter something to think about defensively, they had it easy, Jones is the most energetic of our right sided central defenders.

An early goal (for us )doesn't half help & we never looked in danger.

Exeter were a shambles in defence & powder puff in attack but we were very good in every position including the subs.

A few more goals would have been nice ( & deserved ) but i'm perfectly happy tonight. EIEIO

& there weren't nearly 20 thousand there....loads missing in NSL.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That's a big shout.  Aimson continually played long balls into touch today, I can see what he's trying to do, but distribution not at the level of Santos, and although excellent defensively today, we know he isn't as physically commanding as Santos (who is?).

Jones can make mistakes, as they all can, but we missed his overlapping runs, you don't get that from Toal or Aimson.  It meant we were penned back 2nd half instead of giving Exeter something to think about defensively, they had it easy, Jones is the most energetic of our right sided central defenders.

I think Aimson is very strong and a no nonsense defender. Is he as strong as Santos I've no idea, but at times Santos gets himself embroiled in a physical battle when he should just get rid. The best defenders don't let hubris get in the way of doing the best thing, and for me that experience/knowledge/professionalism occasionally slips from his game. He can learn from those more experienced. 

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Toal did it at least three times in the second half alone when we weren’t even on top. One certainly springs to mind immediately after Williams came on when Toal ended up virtually level with the front two. 

20 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Never 19k actually there, was pretty sparse in my corner of NSL

It would be good if they published actual attendance as well as tickets sold.  Surely it would be of interest, as much as ticket sales.  A bit annoying that I want to get a ticket in ESL for Derby but they are sold out, but there will be loads of empty seats.

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Toal did it at least three times in the second half alone when we weren’t even on top. One certainly springs to mind immediately after Williams came on when Toal ended up virtually level with the front two. 

I remember his excellent burst forward, superb play, he had a great game.  I don't remember the other 2 but that's my memory, I'll take your word for it (TBH I can hardly remember us being in the final third 3 times, never mind one of our defenders).  But Jones would normally get near to the byline 3 times in the first 15 or 20 minutes, that's his game, he's a full back who likes to attack and is very good at it.  Toal is a central defender all day long and I wouldn't expect to see him bombing forward any more than Santos would.  Different playing styles and I thought we missed Jones today but no complaints defensively.

Toal and Aimson are solid defensively but don't offer the same as Rico and Jones getting the ball forwards.

Not going to complain about their game when they do as well as today. Whilst Exeter had lots I'd the ball in the 2nd half they didn't really threaten Traff's goal. I think the only real save he had to make came from a shot from outside the area.

4 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Toal and Aimson are solid defensively but don't offer the same as Rico and Jones getting the ball forwards.

Not going to complain about their game when they do as well as today. Whilst Exeter had lots I'd the ball in the 2nd half they didn't really threaten Traff's goal. I think the only real save he had to make came from a shot from outside the area.

Interesting comparison with Toal/Aimson vs Jones/Santos as I thought Iredale and Bradley played with a lot more freedom than usual, possibly with the knowledge that the back three were a bit more defensively minded? Though I do think both Aimson and Toal offered going forward when they needed too tbf. Trafford seemed a lot keener to get involved as well which doesn’t always have to be seen as a negative option. 

8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Didn't think I could love this lad anymore than I already do, but his goal today won me £500 on golden goal. Fucking ace. 

First half brilliant, second half felt like we were on the back foot and never comfortable, but as others have said, they never really looked like scoring so job well done over all. 👍