Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Executor (H)

globaldiver

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That's a big shout.  Aimson continually played long balls into touch today, I can see what he's trying to do, but distribution not at the level of Santos, and although excellent defensively today, we know he isn't as physically commanding as Santos (who is?).

Jones can make mistakes, as they all can, but we missed his overlapping runs, you don't get that from Toal or Aimson.  It meant we were penned back 2nd half instead of giving Exeter something to think about defensively, they had it easy, Jones is the most energetic of our right sided central defenders.

Nice to see I've provoked some debate on this. Yes, the game is all about opinions.

Today, I noticed some shithousery from Aimson and Iredale which I really liked and can see rubbing off on Johnston and Toal.

Not as good going forward as Santos and Jones for their forward passing but quite frankly, I want my defenders to defend and leave the wing backs and midfield sitters to come and take the mantle of starting attacks.

I'm just happy to see an alternative. If we see it a bit more often and it doesn't work, I'll hold my hands up

Edited by Biggish Dave

1 hour ago, boogs said:

Didn't think I could love this lad anymore than I already do, but his goal today won me £500 on golden goal. Fucking ace. 

First half brilliant, second half felt like we were on the back foot and never comfortable, but as others have said, they never really looked like scoring so job well done over all. 👍 

I had 6 min 33 which must have been mightily close to when we hit the post!

Not bad at all, clean sheet using our 4th & 5th choice centre halves, who both had an excellent game. I'm with @Biggish Dave about defenders defending. Let Toal & Aimson just be solid defenders and leave the creativity to those less defensively minded.

2-0 at HT, could/should have been more. Very professional second half, managed the game well. We let Exeter have lots of ball in the middle third, but we rarely let them in our box. 

Best way to describe the win is 'routine'

Nice to read/see that we had the ‘routine’ win that we’ve been desperately longing for for so long. Typically it comes on the first game in years that I miss through being ill (bad aids). 

Also nice to hear we sounded quite high energy in the first half which makes a change from the normal lack of energy from recent weeks.

How did the midfield set up from the start? Didn’t think Lee and Sheehan would offer much cover defensively when the team sheet was dropped. 

7 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

Nice to read/see that we had the ‘routine’ win that we’ve been desperately longing for for so long. Typically it comes on the first game in years that I miss through being ill (bad aids). 

Also nice to hear we sounded quite high energy in the first half which makes a change from the normal lack of energy from recent weeks.

How did the midfield set up from the start? Didn’t think Lee and Sheehan would offer much cover defensively when the team sheet was dropped. 

If you're playing 3 centre halves at home, you shouldn't need a dedicated defensive midfielder as well. If the 3 aren't enough then the 2 wingbacks drop in and help.

Sheehan and Lee both lack pace, but both have that ability to make space for themselves. Lee was very involved in the early chances we made, Sheehan didn't really catch the eye, but did a lot of the short simple stuff efficiently.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Traf said:

If you're playing 3 centre halves at home, you shouldn't need a dedicated defensive midfielder as well. If the 3 aren't enough then the 2 wingbacks drop in and help.

Sheehan and Lee both lack pace, but both have that ability to make space for themselves. Lee was very involved in the early chances we made, Sheehan didn't really catch the eye, but did a lot of the short simple stuff efficiently.

Agreed.

Add Morley to that - I didn't see what he'd done wrong to be out the team for a few weeks but does his job very well. The lad will player at a higher level imo.

We're doing OK. The youngsters are starting to step up. Sometimes you don't need to sign much to improve, just give the kids time to mature. We are in that phase

8 hours ago, boogs said:

Didn't think I could love this lad anymore than I already do, but his goal today won me £500 on golden goal. Fucking ace. 

First half brilliant, second half felt like we were on the back foot and never comfortable, but as others have said, they never really looked like scoring so job well done over all. 👍 

Good work Boogs.

8 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Nice to see I've provoked some debate on this. Yes, the game is all about opinions.

Today, I noticed some shithousery from Aimson and Iredale which I really liked and can see rubbing off on Johnston and Toal.

Not as good going forward as Santos and Jones for their forward passing but quite frankly, I want my defenders to defend and leave the wing backs and midfield sitters to come and take the mantle of starting attacks.

I'm just happy to see an alternative. If we see it a bit more often and it doesn't work, I'll hold my hands up

Absolutely Dave 100%,think sometimes IE forgets this is 2nd division football and the very basics are required

must also add we had our best spell towards the back end of last season without santos, and aimson & johnston are capable of the odd assist/goal

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Absolutely Dave 100%,think sometimes IE forgets this is 2nd division football and the very basics are required

must also add we had our best spell towards the back end of last season without santos, and aimson & johnston are capable of the odd assist/goal

Like asking a first fix joiner to carve a rocking horse out of a pile of sawdust :D

Agreed.

Add Morley to that - I didn't see what he'd done wrong to be out the team for a few weeks but does his job very well. The lad will player at a higher level imo.

We're doing OK. The youngsters are starting to step up. Sometimes you don't need to sign much to improve, just give the kids time to mature. We are in that phase

Didn't Evatt come out with one of his weirdisms about Morley? He 'left him out to help improve his game' or somesuch?

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Didn't Evatt come out with one of his weirdisms about Morley? He 'left him out to help improve his game' or somesuch?

Think it was to give him a rest tbh.

Never really know what's going on behind the scenes and it could have been that Morley asked for it. We've had enough off field issues this season with the players. 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, matty2094 said:

How did the midfield set up from the start?

18 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'd hazard a guess that Lee might be behind Sheehan.

Lee definitely played in front of Sheehan and Morley.

As others have said, on paper it looks defensively light, but with 3 solid CBs and wing backs assisting, it worked very well yesterday.

• Site Supporter

youngsters are starting to step up. Sometimes you don't need to sign much to improve, just give the kids time to mature. We are in that phase

Good post. The young lads are stepping up and maturing with every game

It’s a similar argument sticking with Charles. Despite him not being as fluid as he was Jan-May, he’s finding ways to score goals at the moment.

It could well be we go with the same 11 v Derby. Going with a settled 11 is  something we’ve been striving for this season. A situation brought about by injuries/illness may help us with a bit of continuity.

That said I won’t be disappointed to see some of those on the bench or missing yesterday stepping into the team when needed.

Missed the game yesterday and have seen very little other than the highlights.

Great to see a clean sheet (I’m a big fan of Aimson - never let’s us down when required).

Main positive for me is Charles, scored again and very unlucky with hitting the post twice, he looks like he’s getting both his confidence and instinct back. I still think we need another striker in Jan if we want to kick on, but I’ll admit I’d almost written Dion off with how many sitters he was missing week after week, so glad to see him getting back to what we saw last season (and I think he’ll carry on improving yet).

Interesting to see a style change with Santos out. Especially playing a team we ought to be beating. Less defensive, quicker tempo, and to use a phrase I often make ... have the opposition worry about us rather than us about them.

A stock 2-0, could easily have been more, is always nice. It suggests a comfortable win. The sort successful sides rack-up as the season progresses.

Also ... 

1. Not conceding early

2. Scoring early ourselves.

Hardly rocket science but shows how important this is.

The style of play that Exeter have suits us perfectly , it’s the big shithouse direct teams that cause us problems. I Like  Aimson, he doesn’t fart about & knows his limitations, doesn’t think he’s Franz Beckenbaur(however that’s spelt) & has others have said didn’t let us down last season. Toal is improving can see him developing into a decent player. Johnston seems to play better without Santos , or maybe I’m imagining that . Anyway good subs by Evatt yesterday as Sheehan was blowing out of his arse , Lee more or less the same & Charles was completely knackered.The much maligned Katchunga did an energetic cameo gaining a few freekicks & hence running the clock down.

First half line up had the required buzz & that should be the way to go from now on especially the midfield of Sheehan Lee & Morley. Centre backs for me are less influential but the ball needs to move quicker as it did yesterday.Not mentioned Dapo who was great yesterday adapting to the striker role & getting a fair amount of kicking.

13 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I had 6 min 33 which must have been mightily close to when we hit the post!

Unlucky. I get a couple every week but never really any expectations of actually winning. Odds really aren't great are they. Was proper chuffed at that.

Someone told me last night they think it might roll over from the previous game if it wasn't won, I'll not be getting my hopes up to much about that though til I go and claim it.

6 hours ago, tomski said:

Good work Boogs.

Cheers mate 👍