Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

17 minutes ago, L/H White said:

has anyone been to Reykjavík recently?

thinking of doing a couple of days in jan, cheap flights, but i'm told it's Dubai / Vegas prices when you get there?

Ridiculous prices.Most expensive pint I saw equates to £24 average was c£12. 

Two fish and chips average standard  was c£60 and went for a pizza and a burger in hard rock and it was about 70 quid off top of my head  this was 4 years ago though

On 09/10/2019 at 07:38, Blondi said:

Looking at booking a week in Cyprus next May, prefer a decent beach, nice restaurants etc, any recommendations?

Paphos is good plenty of restaurants around the harbour

We've just booked protaras for nest may

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

,Ridiculous prices.Most expensive pint I saw equates to £24 average was c£12. 

Two fish and chips average standard  was c£60 and went for a pizza and a burger in hard rock and it was about 70 quid off top of my head  this was 4 years ago though

We were there in November last year and we didn't quite see those prices but it was expensive, c.£10 a pint and a £60/£70 for a two course meal for two if you shop around. There is an 'Alty Market' style place, Krost, that is much more sensible and if you are there for just a couple of nights I'm sure that would suit most tastes.  Only thing is the exchange rate may have moved since we went. The island is incredible and looks like a lunar landscape as you land at Keflavik Airport and if you look beyond the price then you will have an absolutely fabulous experience. The Golden Circle Tour is a good as it takes in the Gull Falls and the Geysers.The Northern Lights are a bit hit n miss though you are going at the right time of the year to see them, though most people had downloaded special software to see them on their camera which we didn't.  Most of the US/Canadian airlines have Iceland as an optional stop for the travellers before they hit Europe which has brought loads of tourist income in recent years. 

Edited by Salford Trotter

19 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

do Icelandic folk get paid lots of money, or just never go out?

Piss cans every Scandinavian I’ve ever met. I’ve asked the same question a number of times and told they don’t earn massive amounts more than us to compensate so fuck knows 

18 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Average salaries are around  £2,600 per month

Assume thats net? Even so That’s not enough to be going out on the piss every weekend at them prices. I baulked at the prices when I was there so god knows how they do it then unless housing is cheap? 

Edited by Escobarp

9 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

It just said average salary but it would have to be net surely

If it’s not unless they have a wonderful taxation system then they would be struggling for a quick half after work never mind a night out as 30k per annum gross isn’t getting any one very far at them prices eh 

• Moderators

When I was on Norway, also expensive, I asked the question and think the answer was along the lines of they tend to buy ale from the supermarket

But something like you can't buy ale from a shop at night or on Sunday, so if you run out on a Saturday after 6 pm you're fucked till Monday

19 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Download appy hour App, lists all the happy hours/times in Reykjavik. Can save a few quid doing this.

i also got a bottle of whisky duty free, took a bit out every day on our trips in my hip flask to drop into my coffees

Great shout that, we did the same at Keflavik airport after we landed. Its amazing have a water bottle full of g&t

1 hour ago, Blondi said:

Been to Italy a few times now, but has anyone been to Bologna & Verona? Looking pretty tempting with cheap flights and not much on the train to each place.

Went to Bologna in September for 4 nights. I loved it. The people were very friendly, and the food we had was excellent!! We didn't do much culture like the museums or day trips though. Just walked around the city which is fairly flat. Lots of varied choice for food, bars & pubs. 

I also fancy Verona, possibly go next year.

• Site Supporter

Spoke to an Icelandic bar man when we were there about the cost of living.  He told us the minimum wage was about £17 per hour in order that the locals aren't priced out off the inflated prices. They are taking massive advantage of the tourist industry. 

Clothing is particularly expensive so they save a few kronar and buy a cheap flight to Glasgow buy a large case and fill it with stuff from matalan or primark. He said not to be surprised if some of the mega expensive clothing on sale is re labelled primark stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
40 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Looked at this for next Feb. Are you visiting any of the lakes?

I was only there for 3 days and two of them involved work so I didn’t unfortunately. It was a lovely place though, would definitely go back