Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale (H)

BeeversLeftPeg

Enjoyed today, like that feeling of winning knowing you've been in a game. 

Port Vale where good, came out fast, possibly scored too early and where in a position of not knowin what to do for 80 more minutes. 

Vic opened his account, more will follow for sure. We're in a good spot, keep pulling in three points

Starting eleven questioned by some, may pay off Tuesday night , enjoy the points, beers and your beautiful wives tonight. If your wives are sacks there's still plenty of enjoyment to be add from the beers, points and 900+ channels 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Port Vale where good, came out fast, possibly scored too early and where in a position of not knowin what to do for 80 more minutes. 

Vic opened his account, more will follow for sure. We're in a good spot, keep pulling in three points

Starting eleven questioned by some, may pay off Tuesday night , enjoy the points, beers and your beautiful wives tonight. If your wives are sacks there's still plenty of enjoyment to be add from the beers, points and 900+ channels 

You had a few already? 😃

5 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Brilliant 😂😂

16 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Tremendous :D

If the midfield / strikers aren’t showing and there’s nothing on. 

The answer isn’t

play it where they should be showing for it

Clearly give it away as way of showing your frustration 

concede

throw your arms up in the air complaining there was nothing on.

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Harrison was a right handful. Won so much in the air, even if he wasn't a giant.

They gave it a go didn’t time waste to be honest as long as I can remember vale have always been a footballing team may be something to do with the pitch they have 

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

If the midfield / strikers aren’t showing and there’s nothing on. 

The answer isn’t

play it where they should be showing for it

Clearly give it away as way of showing your frustration 

concede

throw your arms up in the air complaining there was nothing on.

What the fuck is this??!! 

12 minutes ago, Jayjay23 said:

Onward. 

Can anyone put a finger on what they think went wrong today, or what we need to do differently.

Did anyone else think Williams was on the pitch far too long and it could have cost us 2 points? 

Just a fraction off across the park.

No need to panic we won, regroup for Tuesday and go again.

• Site Supporter

We had just won a place in a Wembley final, we rested a few players accordingly.... for those reasons we weren't at our best but we got 3 points. 

I won't bother checking but I'd guess the people moaning about today are the same ones moaning when we've played well, not took our chances & lost. Good teams grind out results, we are getting better at that. I personally don't think pound for pound we are in the top 3 or 4 teams in this league but we might just finish in the top 3 or 4 through doggedness & team spirit..... and hopefully top 2.

22 minutes ago, Jayjay23 said:

Onward. 

Can anyone put a finger on what they think went wrong today, or what we need to do differently.

Did anyone else think Williams was on the pitch far too long and it could have cost us 2 points? 

Just tired from efforts midweek and probably celebrating too hard.

If it wasn't for Williams we wouldn't have scored. Far from the weak link today

Dempsey ran his stones off , Santos struggled a bit with Harrison (surprisingly in the air) , Trafford’s kicking was shite but saved & handled brilliantly.Toal was labouring a bit , he’s done well but isn’t Franz Beckenbauer .Most were below par but give credit to Vale who gave it a go with some really good football.Williams did well first half but struggled second half however  Vic got his first goal which is a big positive.His injury not deemed too serious according to Evatt.

Most already been said - Lord Mayors show, off all over the pitch, just make sure you win it etc.

I do think Vale deserve huge credit though, I’d go as far as saying they’re up there in probably the top 3 teams I’ve seen at our place this season - how they’re 16th on that showing is madness. They pressed us relentlessly (and didn’t tire), they set traps that we couldnt deal with, they were physical, they had a bit of shithousing without just making it their whole game but they also played some really good stuff and knocked it around us at ease - they made it constantly seem like they had an extra man on the pitch. If I was a Vale fan then I think I’d have been disappointed with a point, never mind losing.

One of those where you just make sure you win it (in our case), and we did, somehow.

Other positives; Vic off the mark (hope his injury was just impact and not muscle); Williams showed that he’s not useless - id personally still play John ahead of him but I thought he did alright today; Dempsey back and looks to be over his injury; and we saved a few legs of players that will likely start on Tuesday (Lee, Charles, Shoretire all 45 mins or less).

Had a feeling that wouldn't be a doddle today and it wasn't. Vale were decent, Harrison a proper handful. Right that IE changed it around a bit for sure but we weren't at it from minute 1, sloppy, a few looking mentally jaded (prob understandably), we then had about 15 good minutes then it was a real grind. 

Victor did well, esp first half, hope it's only a knock he went off with, deserved his goal. Williams worked well with him at times, struggled after h/t, even less of a defender than John or Iredale.

Not convinced with Mbete either really, couple of sloppy touches first few mins and never really in control of things after that. 

For a team that isn't great at defending a barrage of crosses we did nowhere near enough to stop them coming in, from either side.

One big positive, Morley. Immense again, while others were making errors all around him he was constantly tidying up and getting us back moving forward again, held that team together today, especially 2nd half. Turning into one of L1's very best players

Edited by ianofcleveleys