Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H) - Play-Off 1st Leg

Cheese

• Moderators

Will take that going to there's level with no away goals 

Weren't great today but was surprised they had 19 shots to our 7, thought it was tighter than that 

Would definitely be tempted to start Lee 

And John 

Was a good cross for the goal but his delivery was generally poor 

Stand out player was traf with them saves 

Bring it on 

Nothing to fear 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

But playing in that position he’s expected to deliver balls in and for me John is one of the better crossers of the ball we have

your last part is bang on for me we do our best work away from home

game on 

I don't disagree about John being a good crosser. I think Williams played because of his pace and our tactic of long in to out balls to the wing backs.

Doesn't really matter hugely for me who plays there, so long as we are more on the front foot, and put the odd cross in from the right when there is decent opportunity to do so.

If Lee can't manage a full game then maybe start him and try to get ahead. Replace with Thomason or MJ later.

Today we struggled to maintain decent possession and didn't control midfield enough. Either better movement of Lee or more physicality of Thomason/MJ for me.

19 minutes ago, Zico said:

Will take that going to there's level with no away goals 

Weren't great today but was surprised they had 19 shots to our 7, thought it was tighter than that 

Would definitely be tempted to start Lee 

And John 

Was a good cross for the goal but his delivery was generally poor 

Stand out player was traf with them saves 

Bring it on 

Nothing to fear 

A good few of theirs were random potshots although to be fair I don’t think we created much clear cut other than the goal and the one blocked not long afterwards whereas Trafford made a couple of decent saves as you say. Quite happy to take a draw with the way the game went tbh. 

23 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

They are a shithousery team long throws play for set pieces . targeted Bradley with two heavy challenges in first 2 minutes any later in the game and would have been a booking . 

This.

Is it a different ref. in the 2nd leg ?

We were absolutely there for the taking today. Surprised at their lack of ambition. Felt like they came for a draw and couldn't adapt to being clearly the better side on the day.

We've got a chance and that's all you can ask for. Morley in particular has to play better though if we're going to get a result.

Not read the thread as I’m just back. Superb support. Jealous of those going to Oakwell. I’m 100% sure that those that go will create more noise than Barnsley today. The result will depend on what happens on the pitch though. We are more than capable of getting the right result.

What might help is that Oakwell is one of the widest pitches in the country - a yard narrower than Wembley and 3 yards wider than ours. But what would help even more would be for us to get our passing game together and play quicker through the lines. Barnsley's mid 3 pressed very high and we resorted to bypassing them with long balls that their big defenders lapped up and they won just about every second ball as well. With Barnsley over-committing, slick one touch passing - which we managed briefly in the second half - would carve them open like a knife through butter, but we have to show the quality and bravery to do it. That is what Evatt is aiming for after all and if we fail at least we'll fail being us.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

MotM for me has to be the ball boy in front of me. Spotted the Barnsley ball towel early on and kicked it into a puddle.

Top notch shithousery.

Lofty lobbed one of the towels away as well, after some encouragement from the crowd.

• Site Supporter

Off topic a bit- before the crowd was announced how many did you think were there?

Even accounting for the empty section in the south stand, it didn't look as if the ground was 5000+ below capacity.

Just my take on it, but the atmosphere before the game was fantastic, and plenty of volume after the goal too.

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Off topic a bit- before the crowd was announced how many did you think were there?

Even accounting for the empty section in the south stand, it didn't look as if the ground was 5000+ below capacity.

Just my take on it, but the atmosphere before the game was fantastic, and plenty of volume after the goal too.

The support after their goal was great too. Must have been a big lift for the players. Probably 2,000ish empty in South Lower will certainly have been the bulk of the empty seats and there was a bit of a cluster in the north east corner. 

58 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Not read the thread as I’m just back. Superb support. Jealous of those going to Oakwell. I’m 100% sure that those that go will create more noise than Barnsley today. The result will depend on what happens on the pitch though. We are more than capable of getting the right result.

Couldn't be any quieter even if we tried. Was genuinely surprised at their lack of support/noise today given the gravitas of the game. 

34 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes I agree all of east and north looked full , I was surprised at attendance . Stadium was rocking at start of match , even more so after equaliser.   Loved the big flag in ESL 

35 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The support after their goal was great too. Must have been a big lift for the players. Probably 2,000ish empty in South Lower will certainly have been the bulk of the empty seats and there was a bit of a cluster in the north east corner. 

Could hear that in the pub. “We’re the one and only wanderers” blasting out as soon as they scored. Makes a big difference to the players when fans react like that. Fair play to everyone there. 

was watching from the Isle of Skye today, glorious sunshine all day. Thought we were lucky to be fair, could have conceded a couple more but responded well when we did. 

It will all click on Friday 🤞

Loved the atmosphere today, first time in crazy corner and it was like going back to Burnden park in all its pomp. They did a job on us today in stifling us for most of the game but there a decent team and think they will want to stamp there authority on us in the second leg, it will suite evatt down to the ground as it will free up the space for our players to do what we do best, Dan and lee to start hopefully, loved the pr6 flag in north stand all though it disappeared in the second half

3 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Gets some stick Williams as he appears so passive but I’d be fucking fuming if I was him. Constantly gets ignored Johnstone has the ball and turns square when Williams has acres. Makes us look so one dimensional looking for Bradley all the time. 

And To be fair to him too he does the one thing no one else does. Puts the ball in. We lose that game if he didn’t 

He doesn’t get it because they don’t trust him with it, and rightly so - he’s a poor player. Dec John is no world beater but I’ve no idea how he’s behind Williams for the starting spot, the team seems a lot more balanced with John there which helps Bradley out because it’s not as obvious that we’ll spend 90% of the time attacking down the right.

To be fair to Williams, the cross for the goal was top drawer but he was so poor otherwise (a few others were but Williams is consistently poor).

The Barnsley view on Bolton fans:

Some have clearly been on the wine gums. We were loud all game. Wednesday at home aside, the best atmosphere I've heard home or away all season.

How bad is their support generally?

They've been like this since our earlier games, they have somewhat of a rivalry towards us now, same way Wigan do. Very weird. Instead of speaking truth and having 'banter', they just lie. I didn't go today but I heard us on the TV.

Anyone else enjoy that big rivalry with Barnsley?

Keep overspending dumdums you'll cheat again

Financial expert alert.

I didn’t realise Bolton were as weird as they are.

speaking to a few on the way to the ground and they made Wednesday fans sound modest. Then the chant “Bolton are massive, everywhere they go”? Really? Bolton?

It’s known that they don’t have many fans, or they don’t show up unless they’re doing well, only the day trippers today.

Really hope we send the arrogant weirdos home Friday.

So much to unpack there.