Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale (A)

Johnnyrotten

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

IE said something about it being an intimidating place to come, it felt nothing like that.  Atmosphere wise, dead as a dodo from them.  Wierd to watch the game from the "home" end after being in the opposite end about 10 times since I first went in 83 when Caldwell scored the winner.  I've never seen us lose there, and the atmosphere has been crap in the home end every time, but I've seen them play away a lot over the years (not just at Bolton) and really get behind their team.  Good to see an old traditional ground still standing though, the social club at the front of the ground still there 40 years after I first had a pint in there.

Mate all away fans say that about home fans tbf for how many you brought could hardly hear you with your 3 chants . 

In our last 14 away games going back to Charlton in Jan, we haven't been losing any at H-T.  Winning in 8 of them, and only conceded 2 (Sheff W and Bristol).  To put that in perspective, we conceded more v Wigan at home in the 1st half than we have in the last 14 1st halves away.  Charles has scored 11 away in that time, compared to 1 (pen) at home.  That takes some explaining especially when you see the quality of his goal today and those at Cheltenham and Reading.  The only other current players to have scored away since 2nd Jan are Vic, Morley and Santos.

Just back, 1st half, we played some lovely football, outclassed & outplayed Vale & the only complaint is that we should have been more than one up,

2nd half, Vale improved & put us under some pressure but Baxter & the 3  centre backs were excellent & again, we should have scored more with some very lively counter attacking .

A bit scary at the end,  but overall a very enjoyable & deserved win. EIEIEIfuckingO.

53 minutes ago, Ani said:

Got an old friend who is a Vale fan, he thought our best players today were Sheehan, Morley and Big Dan ! 

I can't remember the last time Charles was our "MOM" as his overall play is fairly average but his eye for a goal away from home is the difference between top 6 and also rans, irrespective of great defending, great passes from Sheehan or the engine of Dempsey.  Even though we weren't under massive pressure, my MOM was Baxter, again, he's a class act.

41 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Great result, 1st half excellent, 2nd not so much,but a wins a win, piss stones reminded me of Burnden.

And what about the security pre game? fuck me I've been through airports with less checks.

Agreed on both counts, I made the same comment about the bogs.  Like going back in time, I didn't realise such places still existed, quaint but terrible at the same time.

3 hours ago, Valiant 32 said:

Mate all away fans say that about home fans tbf for how many you brought could hardly hear you with your 3 chants . 

So you heard well enough to count them then?

FWIW I thought your team had a lot more about them than last year - and that Crosby made astute changes at HT.

• Members
12 hours ago, desperado said:

Absolutely.

They defended so well in the 2nd half. For all their intent in the 2nd half Port Vale didn’t really create 1 clear cut chance.

Hope we have less talk about fitness, squad players not being good enough to get us points in this league and Evatt making excuses.

Win on Tuesday and the league table will be looking pretty good after 10 games. 

We said that's when we should take stock. Not looking like the doom mongers will be making much of a contribution. Or will they?

Great finish, excellent result.

• Members
9 hours ago, Valiant 32 said:

Not surprised that your hearing's a bit dodgy. 1932 to 2023 is a good knock mate. Well done.

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

We said that's when we should take stock. Not looking like the doom mongers will be making much of a contribution. Or will they?

Great finish, excellent result.

Spot on. 

The thing is after a defeat/draw, it’s like a million negative words to say the same thing. Often, accompanied by some magical solutions on selection, tactics and preparation. 

But I get it, it’s a forum where folk vent and offer their opinion.

Like you, I think we have too many doom mongers who seem to feed off negativity. 

A bit of realism, context and time is what’s required sometimes. 

Always a more pleasant (and less lengthy read 😊) after a win.

I certainly don’t feed off negativity, yesterday was a well fought win but how anyone can be happy with our attacking options bar Charles and I’m struggling

Folk go on about how good santos is but when he’s ever out we don’t do shabby for me DC is the kingpin and he needs assistance, if he becomes unavailable we will struggle

i wont go all doom so I must say the goalkeeper & the back line especially played very well Forrester gets better each game

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I certainly don’t feed off negativity, yesterday was a well fought win but how anyone can be happy with our attacking options bar Charles and I’m struggling

Folk go on about how good santos is but when he’s ever out we don’t do shabby for me DC is the kingpin and he needs assistance, if he becomes unavailable we will struggle

i wont go all doom so I must say the goalkeeper & the back line especially played very well Forrester gets better each game

Weren’t having a go at you pal.

Your opinion (although a little less positive than mine, but who’s isn’t? 🤣) is always a good read to me. Always there at the games, Call it how you see it but often pretty balanced. 

We have some good discussion on here and at games.

In response to your comments about our attack and Santos, I do have a different opinion.

While I agree we are very reliant on Charles (which side wouldn’t be?) and we miss him when he doesn’t play, I actually think our options with the other 5 (and I include CMG in this) is quite varied and has elements of quality to it.

It’s far from the perfection of Walker/Mcginlay - but who has got that in this league?

I like Santos and simply put, I think we are a better team with him in than out.

Very good to see that we can perform and pick up points without him mind 👍

31 minutes ago, desperado said:

Weren’t having a go at you pal.

Your opinion (although a little less positive than mine, but who’s isn’t? 🤣) is always a good read to me. Always there at the games, Call it how you see it but often pretty balanced. 

We have some good discussion on here and at games.

In response to your comments about our attack and Santos, I do have a different opinion.

While I agree we are very reliant on Charles (which side wouldn’t be?) and we miss him when he doesn’t play, I actually think our options with the other 5 (and I include CMG in this) is quite varied and has elements of quality to it.

It’s far from the perfection of Walker/Mcginlay - but who has got that in this league?

I like Santos and simply put, I think we are a better team with him in than out.

Very good to see that we can perform and pick up points without him mind 👍

I know pal,

my concern is that his lack of help (DC) puts unnecessary pressure on the team, yesterday we struggled 2nd half it was crying out for someone to come off bench and kill game we just don’t have that, reading away example at 1-1 you bring Jerome & dan on you just know we ain’t scoring

i get you won’t find a Walker & McGinlay but we need something better than we currently have, despite banging goals in early doors we ain’t in the top 3 (goals scored) and this was a flag last season 

Edited by radcliffe white

5 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I know pal,

my concern is that his lack of help (DC) puts unnecessary pressure on the team, yesterday we struggled 2nd half it was crying out for someone to come off bench and kill game we just don’t have that, reading away example at 1-1 you bring Jerome & dan on you just know we ain’t scoring

i get you won’t find a Walker & McGinlay but we need something better than we currently have, despite banging goals in early doors we ain’t in the top 3 and this was a flag last season 

To be fair I think Vic is starting to show signs of improvement and if Dan would only turn and face goal and use his skill, pace and strength instead of being back to goal I think he’d be a different player too. My concern is the lack of goals from elsewhere which puts more strain on Dion. We’ve never got the delivery right from corners and set pieces for me and that’s where I’d like to see some improvement. I think Evatt sees that too so I think over the season we’ll improve in all these areas.