Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

University of Greater Manchester

only1swanny

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They still do, just that apprenticeships went out of fashion.

Now they seem to be returning, but slowly.

Graduate apprenticeships are definitely worth pursuing; still a potential route for my lad in a year or two. There is no huge debt, and a job too.

That’s good to hear. Companies paying for employees education could catch on. If only someone had thought if it before. 😊 

Hope your lad and others choose the the path that’s right for them. 👍

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, BobyBrno said:

That’s good to hear. Companies paying for employees education could catch on. If only someone had thought if it before. 😊 

Hope your lad and others choose the the path that’s right for them. 👍

Me too pal.

He needed a break from education and to earn some dosh in the real world.

A dose of reality will do him good, and put him in good stead to make a more informed choice in a year or two.

4 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Not marines but my eldest still has signing up on his list after he finishes his degree and from a practical point of view regardless of people might think of them the police are still a good choice for folk who want to leave themselves open to an early retiremen

Half my family were and are in the Police. I would have been also but for my eyesight. I’m not blind but I wear glasses. A problem back then, not so much these days. Their loss. I’d have been Chief Constable by now. (This is purely based on the quality of the current incumbents and not my own sense of self confidence 😊)

If James Anderton could do it, why not? 
Great pensions, half paid for by the taxpayers. Well, those that pay tax. 

On 14/09/2023 at 12:14, royal white said:

Speaking of Exeter uni, plenty of female students used to get free accom at weekends on the nearby Marine barracks. Speaking from experience obviously 😉

Sorry for mentioning this again @Smiley

No longer a lazy student down there. However @Traf may have that dilemma soon!

• Moderators
On 15/09/2023 at 21:28, ErnestTurnip said:

Not marines but my eldest still has signing up on his list after he finishes his degree and from a practical point of view regardless of people might think of them the police are still a good choice for folk who want to leave themselves open to an early retiremen

My mates counting down the days to being ex plod

Reckons he wouldnt ever join up if he had his time again

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Nowack said:

Mate is in the Met and told me at the moment they currently have around 10 applicants to join up. Meanwhile, he seems to be going to a retirement do every other day. 

Seems remarkably low that.

Met does have its own set of problems at the moment though, and I can imagine recruitment there being more difficult. 

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Seems remarkably low that.

Met does have its own set of problems at the moment though, and I can imagine recruitment there being more difficult. 

Ridiculously low. I must admit I had had a couple of pints when he told me but it was certainly in that ball park. Certainly not in the 20s. Who would want to join the Met, even those serving don't want to do it. 

• Site Supporter

There was a piece about this on R4 earlier. That jug-eared bummer who presents Dragons Den was in the Town Centre asking people what they thought about changing the University name from Bolton to Greater Manchester. It went exactly as you'd expect. The overwhelming consensus was it should stay the same, and Bolton is in Lancashire anyway, regardless of what anyone says.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Nowack said:

Ridiculously low. I must admit I had had a couple of pints when he told me but it was certainly in that ball park. Certainly not in the 20s. Who would want to join the Met, even those serving don't want to do it. 

Hardly any wonder really. If the fly-on-wall documentaries are anything to go by, morale must be rock bottom with the amount of arrests made not getting to court or get to court for a fuck-all sentence suspended for 12 months.

What’s the point?

8 hours ago, MickyD said:

Hardly any wonder really. If the fly-on-wall documentaries are anything to go by, morale must be rock bottom with the amount of arrests made not getting to court or get to court for a fuck-all sentence suspended for 12 months.

What’s the point?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-66865976

And feckless parents who'd rather blame anyone and anything for their kids behaviour rather than their own shit parenting.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-66865976

And feckless parents who'd rather blame anyone and anything for their kids behaviour rather than their own shit parenting.

Shite isn't it. 

Zero responsibility, clued up to fuckery on their rights.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Cheese said:

There was a piece about this on R4 earlier. That jug-eared bummer who presents Dragons Den was in the Town Centre asking people what they thought about changing the University name from Bolton to Greater Manchester. It went exactly as you'd expect. The overwhelming consensus was it should stay the same, and Bolton is in Lancashire anyway, regardless of what anyone says.

Starts at 53:20 if anyone is interested. Perhaps "overwhelming consensus" was a bit of an exaggeration on my part. He only spoke to 2 people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001qmgf

Edited by Cheese

• 4 weeks later...