Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Carlisle (H)

Bertie

1 hour ago, TM Trotter said:

Hands up, I didn't go to the game, and I haven't seen any "highlights". (Montenegro is properly lovely, btw gents.)

I understand it was shit, we were done by a team on their big day out, we're too easy to play against, Evatt is stubborn, etc, etc. Fair, I'll take the word of everyone who went.

But fuck me, I am absolutely baffled by the Evatt Out sentiment from some on here. Aye, let's pot a bright young manager trying to emulate the best tactician of the modern era on a beans-on-toast budget. Sure, OK... so who is coming in to rocket us to promotion? I wonder what Nigel Adkins is up to these days? Maybe even Mick McCarthy, because he likes an aggressive DM and loves to "get it in the fucking mixer"? 

Bearing in mind the season isn't 1/4 through... it's all a bit fucking knee jerk this. Hey, maybe forget me mentioning Adkins and McCarthy - Pep will be available soon as City lost to Wolves and Arsenal this past week(!) Be reyt.

2 week break, we go again, with some new faces back in contention. Enjoy the ride. We'd be bored if we won every week. 

Love,

A holidaying happyclapper 

You are wrong about Bolton not having a decent sized budget at 3rd Division level.Carlisle's most expensive signing cost less money than Lundulu and Charles let alone Victor

9 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

You are wrong about Bolton not having a decent sized budget at 3rd Division level.Carlisle's most expensive signing cost less money than Lundulu and Charles let alone Victor

Correct. the guy who scored the hatrick on Saturday was on 910 pounds a week last season. I would sign him and get rid of the three dross signings that Mr Evatt has to play to save his  bacon for wasting so much money. Wasting over a million will normally get you sacked. Will FV back him in Jan? only time will tell. Lets hope all the fatigued and injured players coming back will give us a boost before Christmas.

• Members
17 hours ago, Ani said:

Tbf mate it is not just about yesterday , as a ream for the first time under Evatt and FV the team has gone backwards.

We are making the same mistakes week in week out and do not seem to have an idea how to change it. What do they about people who do the same thing but expect a different result.

It's October. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

We are within striking distance with our best period yet to come. Sure of it. Key players coming back after the international break.

Keep the faith.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

It's October. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

We are within striking distance with our best period yet to come. Sure of it. Key players coming back after the international break.

Keep the faith.

It's a snickers, not a marathon.

I think some players are at less than 100% fit; Toal and Dempsey, for example. The squad is looking a bit thin just now. A couple or 3 decent loans in Jan should be in order.

2 things that have become apparent over the past few weeks.. 

1) Santos is absolutely fundamental. IE repeatedly states he expects his CB’s to defend large areas 1v1. Only Santos can do it. Iredale, Toal and Forrester haven’t got the physical attributes to do it. Looking back there’s some many occasions where Santos has to go over in to channels to defend after the 2 either side have been exposed. 

2) we need a proper disciplined defensive central midfielder. We’re so easy to get through it’s untrue which in turn leaves the above 3 defenders exposed. Thomasson Just fucks off wherever he wants. Dempsey seems to always play down the right hand side and Sheehan just gets passed around. The link up play from their 3 behind Garner on sat just emphasised it. They got in to the final 3rd time and time again. We need someone who has no interest in bombing on. Just to sit there and break things up. A more mobile MJ 

21 hours ago, Mantra said:

On Evatt - I've been a big supporter of his all the way up until the last few games. We still don't look like we've pulled ourselves together since the Wigan defeat, which in itself was extremely disappointing considering that the exact same thing happened 2 seasons ago.

We actually played well in the first few games of this season and I had hope that we would push on again this season in a 'weakened league' and look at securing top 2. That's still technically within reach but on performances alone we look far from capable of achieving that.

He signed a new contract in May extending his tenure to June 2026 so I doubt he's on the chopping block yet but my faith in him is slowly waning. I don't like how we've put all our eggs in the 3-5-2 basket, we lost Dapo who I thought was our best player and we have the same strike force as last season that wasn't good enough at putting the ball in the net. There's no way I can even see us changing formation either to try something new because we simply don't have the personnel for it as we have no wingers other than CMG and no defensive midfielder.

It's not all the formation though, the style of play has become boring and rigid. We are supposed to be a forward-thinking and positive team but as many have noted we are far too 'patient'. I don't feel that excited any more about the season, I feel like we are good enough to get playoffs but not good enough to get autos and so it feels like I'm just waiting for Spring to come until we actually have some tangible sense of our position in the league. 

I think Evatt and the players can turn it around and are capable of putting a good run together to get us back on track but the performances currently aren't breeding much confidence for the players nor fans to go off.

This, with knobs on. 😟

It will be interesting who comes in as First Team Coach and if they can shake things up. Think I read guy who left came with IE from Barrow so maybe a new pair of eyes will help. 

After winning  first 3 games we have taken 11 points from next 8 which is very much mid table form so improvement is needed. 

Some interesting pints about Santos, I do not think we miss him that much when we are defending say like away at Port Vale when under pressure but in transition we do as he is better at coping with 1 on 1s than others. 

I do not see Evatt going any where or massively changing how we play and we are not a million miles off. First half at Port Vale was as dominant as I have seen us. More movement out of possession seems obvious, the centre halves do knock it side to side forever but they are not spoiled for choice. Maybe cross the odd ball ? 

Pisses me off when people on here who criticise a performance or our recent form are called wrist slitters and people who have a different view are happy clappers. The odd ones who are always negative and post quickly when we lose and when we win those who seem more intent to say 'I told you so' then just enjoy the results deserve it but the vast majority are somewhere in the middle

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Pisses me off when people on here who criticise a performance or our recent form are called wrist slitters and people who have a different view are happy clappers. The odd ones who are always negative and post quickly when we lose and when we win those who seem more intent to say 'I told you so' then just enjoy the results deserve it but the vast majority are somewhere in the middle

Exactly the same. Bipolarways at its finest.

I trust Evatt to fix it. Hes got absolutely shit loads of credit in the bank and has had nothing but backing from matchday support.

But its just not got going this season. Some players are at 50% compared to last and we've downgraded massively on imports to exports. 

You just cant lose Kieron Lee, Dapo, Connor Bradley and Kachunga and not replace them with equal or higher quality. We have no spark.

Worrying thing that spark was clearly missing in both games v Barnsley.

The injured lads are gonna have to make a huge impact to save this. 

You live and die by your recruitment. 

3 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

2 things that have become apparent over the past few weeks.. 

1) Santos is absolutely fundamental. IE repeatedly states he expects his CB’s to defend large areas 1v1. Only Santos can do it. Iredale, Toal and Forrester haven’t got the physical attributes to do it. Looking back there’s some many occasions where Santos has to go over in to channels to defend after the 2 either side have been exposed. 

2) we need a proper disciplined defensive central midfielder. We’re so easy to get through it’s untrue which in turn leaves the above 3 defenders exposed. Thomasson Just fucks off wherever he wants. Dempsey seems to always play down the right hand side and Sheehan just gets passed around. The link up play from their 3 behind Garner on sat just emphasised it. They got in to the final 3rd time and time again. We need someone who has no interest in bombing on. Just to sit there and break things up. A more mobile MJ 

Great post.  I'd settle for MJ, never mind a more mobile one, just the one that was playing in April.  Incredible that Tomo has effectively taken his place, not fit to lace his boots IMO, whether its positioning, tackling, heading, passing long, passing short (consistently I mean, I get that Tomo does 2 worldy passes a game), oh and not getting booked.  The only area they are equal is shooting 😀 (cue someone saying Nigel Pearson and IE disagree - just my opinion).

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Exactly the same. Bipolarways at its finest.

I trust Evatt to fix it. Hes got absolutely shit loads of credit in the bank and has had nothing but backing from matchday support.

But its just not got going this season. Some players are at 50% compared to last and we've downgraded massively on imports to exports. 

You just cant lose Kieron Lee, Dapo, Connor Bradley and Kachunga and not replace them with equal or higher quality. We have no spark.

Worrying thing that spark was clearly missing in both games v Barnsley.

The injured lads are gonna have to make a huge impact to save this. 

You live and die by your recruitment. 

It's mad looking at the names we've lost, so much creativity gone. We just seem way more one dimensional and predictable now.

We don't really have anymore fit who can conjure up a bit of magic off the cuff either. Although I'm hoping that Gomes will be that man when back!

2 hours ago, Horwich said:

GK - no improvement

Defence - no improvement

Midfield - no improvement

Strikers - no improvement

Strange that, were the 4th highest goal scorers in the league and before Saturday had only conceeded 9 goals. It would be dificult for a league 1 team to improve on Trafford, but Baxter's doing well. We have potentially our best two midfielders injured, i agree about the strikers.

We are a creative midfielder or no 10 away from being a very decent team at this level.

The defence is bang on with Santos in the team. Cogley is fine but Im not convinced on Williams.

Ive just have no idea what thinking has been behind the strikers situation. I saw it as trying to beef us up when we were getting bullied in the middle of last season, which was fair enough, but carry on trying play a system with that clientèle just isnt working. 

Where Evatt might need to admit to being wrong is the DM slot, thinking he could get away with no natural performer in that position after letting MJ go was either blind arrogance or naivety. 

The losses of some or all of the first choice back three at various points has exposed it as questionable even more

Sheehan is a miles more productive and dangerous operator when allowed to do his work in the area between centre circle and edge of their box, freed up by that holding player behind him. 

Our best back three of Santos Toal and Johnston might just have been able to get away with no DM against most in L1 but with any of those out and likes of Iredale and Jones in those roles we look really vulnerable 

2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

No complaints with Baxter & the defenders (except Williams who pretty poor imo)

Bit disappointed with the midfield recruitment considering it was an area identified by IE, bonus is that Sheehan has stepped up from last 

strikers well I’ve made my feelings known on that position 

Ageed with all of that.  I'd put Cogley in the "OK" bracket but I'd be expect us to get better in the next 1 or 2 windows.  He seems to go through the motions a bit and doesn't have a shot on him.  Not a criticism, he's steady, but I suppose we were spoiled with Bradley last season, I'd love us to get a more dynamic player like him in January.

I admit I made my mind up on Williams on his 1st appearance and other than an occasional better half (never a full game), he's proving first impressions right so far.  A strange signing given that we had 3 left backs at the time plus Johnstone if further cover was needed. 

Yes Sheehan had been all but written off prior to his surprise start at Sheff Wed, he's probably our most consistent outfield player now aside from Santos (not that there's much competition currently).  I think we're all hoping Maghoma and CMG can provide the missing spark.

Edited by Johnnyrotten

5 hours ago, Horwich said:

GK - no improvement

Defence - no improvement

Midfield - no improvement

Strikers - no improvement

Hard to disagree. But I'd say Baxter, while not an improvement on an unbelievable talent in Traff, has been great so far this season and is a better long term option to make the defence stable. And I'd always rather we own our players for sell on fees.

Centre back position specifically I'd argue we have a better squad than last season, just very unlucky with injuries.