Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northampton H

DomRepWanderer

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its either in your character/personality or it isn't, you can't tell a Kieron Lee or Aaron Morley to be vocal, it has to be natural like a Spearing or Nolan or even Sarcevic (maybe he was too much of a moaner/too negative with teammates?).  It seemed odd to me that Dempsey was captain at Gillingham because he never appears to open his mouth, just looks permanently grumpy!  Looking from afar we have a team of players that aren't natural leaders, although Jones and Santos do have some leadership/organisational qualities.

There is more to leading than being vocal.

Just working bloody hard, making it difficult for the opponent and showing passion will get fans up.

As said above; a lot of our players aren't great at the tackle, in which case lots of work to close players and space is needed.

All will be appreciated. 

Taking the foot off the gas and allowing an opponent more of the ball is the opposite of what's needed.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Zico said:

I asked evatt about this at a q&a last season, basically asked why he didn't put a keeper on the bench 

He said as obvious as it might sound his philosophy is to score more than the opposition so that's how he approaches each game and has players on the bench that he can look to to change things if it's not working out

He has said that before, but it's a bit weak.

Especially if the other strikers aren't cutting it.

It's too simplistic- he doesn't seem willing to tinker with formation or personnel to suit the situation. 

Always the same subs irrespective. 

For example, if we're starting to lose the midfield battle, then why not put an extra body in there?

Even the great SAF would swallow his pride and change things as necessary. 

47 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes Sheehan was a class above anyone else on the pitch, hard to believe he looked like a squad player 8 months ago, now he's undroppable.

As bad as Williams can be, credit for the 2 goals and a decent 1st half, but Cogley took terrible to a different level today (and not much better v Carlisle).  Yet with Jones now treated as a CB, Cogley has zero competition for his place, that has got to change in January surely.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mattheson creep in at some point. Sat watching the Carlisle game it struck me he struggled when under the pump. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, victor meldrew said:

and ... 2 weeks ago we lost to another shit team , could have been 2-2 easily

Could have easily been 5-0. It wasn't. It was 2-1. A win.

Edited by Cheese

42 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not sure how you give him 3, wasn’t involved much didn’t do anything wrong. I think he’s had a decent start to his Bolton career plays all games and rarely subbed, seems IE likes him. 

Just kept giving the ball away, especially in 2nd half.  Agreed not involved in 1st half but poor when he was.  A lot of the play in the 2nd half was down our right half and he was poor except for that one decent cross to Charles feet for one of our rare shots.  Against Carlisle played the safe sideways/backwards cross far too much, making it easy to defend against, no trickery or change of pace.  I'm not writing him off or anything, just commenting on his last 2 games and the fact that there's no competition for his position, hence he never gets subbed.

They were the laziest, most uninterested set of professional players I've seen in a long long while until we went to pot and then I was praying for the final whistle. 

It's a win but summat really isn't quite right somewhere along the line, and that's taking into account the standard of some of our players.

2-5 hours to ge there from Leeds today.

I think today summed us up, for a period at start of each half looked miles ahead of them but somehow ended up hanging on.

In the good periods we played the game going fwad, GT drove through midfield really well, Sheehan buzzing around finding gaps and playing incisive passes.

Just seems to fall apart and we struggle to get going again. No one gets turned, Dion comes short and loses the ball 99% of the time. 

3 points are what really matters but I think a lot of cracks being papered over. 

Santos is a million miles our best player.  GT seemed to play a lot more left side today and I thought was good.
The subs were awful.

The reason we don’t appear to have any leaders on the pitch is due to our Manager IMO.

He’s the boss, end of, and that isn’t always conducive to having another one on the pitch.

The only one who appears to have leadership qualities is young George. 

You rarely see Santos open his mouth for Gods sake. 

Major concern. 

Edited by captainmed

6 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Sixty quid up thanks to my Dion FGS / Bolton win bet. Didn't go for the 0-0 in the end.

They were poor. Three points. We roll on another week. If the away end was packed we'd not have won in my opinion

Oh well 4th, somehow, Im hoping Paris becomes the man for us.

I was thinking that, if that had been the Carlisle fans driving them on to come from 2 down, it would have been an even longer last 20 minutes.  I'm convinced that away end costs us some points every season, compared to 95% of away ends in the 4 divisions.

Blackpool next home game and I'd feel more confident if we gave them 2.5k in WSU instead.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

45 minutes of Brazil. 45 minutes of Alan Brazil.

Summed it up for me

First half was just what you want to see and fully deserved 2-0 

Second half was like I’ve walked into a different game

In all honesty I’m with @Cheesein the fuck it, we won, it’s 3 points, move on

But I’m seeing the doubts that @radcliffe white has and struggle to see us as top 2 at the moment. Play offs yes

Interesting shift in midfield to put Sheehan at the base today and push GT further forward - it looked to work so much better in the first half, Sheehan looked a class above anyone and was completely dominant, we broke through the lines time after time (they really did look shit) and GT added a bit more balance in midfield being left footed on the left side.

Then it went to shit. We slowed everything down about 35 mins and took all urgency out of our play. I’m sure the aim was to settle things down and consolidate the lead but it had the opposite effect, we were so complacent (how many 5 yard fucking passes in promising positions were misplaced!!?) and then it snowballed with us getting slower, panicking more, making more mistakes, sitting back and in the end holding on for dear life against a terrible team!

One player that I think is getting better and better in his general play but is probably going under the radar is Vic - another really good game today and his hold up / link up play seems to be getting miles better.