Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Exeter (H).

captainmed

• Site Supporter

If I was offered 2 points for the next 2 away games yesterday morning (expecting us to beat Exeter and was expecting one of Pompey/Oxford to have a hiccup)  I would have snatched your hand off.

Now I’m not so sure. 2 points would more than likely keep us top after 19 games which would be phenomenal considering where we were at the 10 game mark and knowing there was some real tough challenges taking us up to the 20 game mark.

But with the run of form we’re on and both Pompey and Oxford losing so convincingly, we are capable of 4 points or more. No melt-downs needed if it’s not though.

Edited by desperado

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Aye thats a bit ridiculous. My old man sets off on 88 as it takes him 3 years to get to car and its safer without the hustle and bustle.

Think its like a chain reaction. Folk see folk leaving and think fuck I'm gonna stuck if I dont get off.

It is really shit to see. But youd hope if they sorted the traffic out it may prompt folk to stay.

Stop letting the busses off!

I leave on 88 as it takes me 5 minutes to get to the car and (I tend to fall over a lot if in  a crowd), and I park on the Lower Concourse (players car park), it is worth every penny of the £180 a year

1 hour ago, 1969 said:

Re Maghoma when he runs it looks effortless as though he's gliding,his ball control is very good and he's not afraid to put his foot in.I think he's got a very good future hopefully with us

Maghoma is the reason the term 'silky skills' was invented. A joy to watch.

In a different way, but just as effective, was George.  He was like the teams metronome yesterday.  Lifting the tempo, encouraging the others to press and harry.  

Shift workers excepted, why would anyone not want to stay behind and show appreciation for a performance like that? 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Aye thats a bit ridiculous. My old man sets off on 88 as it takes him 3 years to get to car and its safer without the hustle and bustle.

Think its like a chain reaction. Folk see folk leaving and think fuck I'm gonna stuck if I dont get off.

It is really shit to see. But youd hope if they sorted the traffic out it may prompt folk to stay.

Stop letting the busses off!

What? At all?

Traffic was never this bad when we were getting PL crowds.

Buses don't get priority now, since the machines came in. They are just in the free for all melee. That's the reason I saw my arse over the buses. Apart from bringing them forward an hour for 3:00 KO that is.

Be interesting to look back at Thomason's career in 10 years' time.

He turns 23 in January...Wonder what the lad's ceiling is.

He has improved so much already, at the very least he will be a solid Championship quality player if his development continues at anywhere near the same rate as it has the last few years.

9 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

What? At all?

Buses don't get priority now, since the machines came in. They are just in the free for all melee. That's the reason I saw my arse over the buses. Apart from bringing them forward an hour for 3:00 KO that is.

I'm only guessing but I get the impression Middlebrook has a lot more traffic, aside from matchdays, compared to say 15 years ago - more shops/restaurants/businesses.  Getting on and off at the weekend or at rush hour is dire and when there's a match on its not just fans causing the tailbacks, its the shoppers etc too, especially once we get to this time of year.

Just now, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm only guessing but I get the impression Middlebrook has a lot more traffic, aside from matchdays, compared to say 15 years ago - more shops/restaurants/businesses.  Getting on and off at the weekend or at rush hour is dire and when there's a match on its not just fans causing the tailbacks, its the shoppers etc too, especially once we get to this time of year.

Any civilian who goes shopping on a match day and chooses to leave around 4.45pm is a whopper & deserves their licence removing.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

Had a look 

Couple of 3-0 and a 4-0 

Only scored 4 away from home

Looked at the home and away leagues yesterday. 

They're 5th or 6th at home.

As above, when we beat some of the others, they were above us, and we perhaps weren't that confident at the time.

Nevertheless, we picked up some good results, and that has contributed to our improvement both in quality and consistency. 

20 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Only going to get worse over the next few games.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Any civilian who goes shopping on a match day and chooses to leave around 4.45pm is a whopper & deserves their licence removing.

Every bastard week we’ll see some Doris looking perplexed at all the traffic when they come out of Home Bargains at 5pm.

We normally park on the retail park but parked a bit further out yesterday and were home a good half an hour earlier than usual. Wouldn’t fancy doing it in the pissing rain though.

Posting yesterday I felt like a did the first goal a disservice btw having concentrated on the second half goals. The passing and movement is absolutely mesmerising   

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is.

The Motd crew would be ejaculating in their keks if City or the like had done that.

The quality on the cross too was top, a chip into space saying bury me. 

34 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

What? At all?

The club have dropped virtually all stewarding of the car parks (or whoever they passed the responsibility  onto has). People now park on the road rather than the actual car park which blocks the way off for people. We park there a it just easier when we arrive but getting away is a pain, surprisingly yesterday after a 7-0 win everyone was friendly and letting people in. 

21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is.

The Motd crew would be ejaculating in their keks if City or the like had done that.

The quality on the cross too was top, a chip into space saying bury me. 

I know comparing us to City is going to seem OTT, but for the level we are at it  was superb.

First goal great move, with a brilliant ball in from Dion

Second goal excellent set piece move

Second half the press was superb they could not get out of their half , lost count of the number of times we won/regained the ball in their half. 

Third goal Legohead wins the ball  back (twice) then great play

Fourth goal excellent interplay down the right

Fifth  goal Paris and Morley win the ball chasing back and we launch from there 

Sixth goal 'just' a set piece

Seventh good work from Dempsey.

Think every outfield player other than Santos was significantly involved in at least 1 goal and in that sense the City comparison is valid. 

37 minutes ago, Ani said:

Think every outfield player other than Santos was significantly involved in at least 1 goal and in that sense the City comparison is valid. 

About 3 minutes into the extended highlights posted above Rico is the furthest man forward when Maghoma has his double chance to make it 3-0.

Very rare he gets forward in open play but he did a couple of times yesterday. That alone shows how dominant we were.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

About 3 minutes into the extended highlights posted above Rico is the furthest man forward when Maghoma has his double chance to make it 3-0.

Very rare he gets forward in open play but he did a couple of times yesterday. That alone shows how dominant we were.

Yep.

As I was watching the highlights, I'm thinking "cross it now Paris, whilst the big man is in there". He didn't of course, but it shows the flexibility and confidence. 

59 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

We noticed one second half when Toal was so far forward that he ended up swinging on their crossbar 😂 always loved how Jones plays a part going forward from RCB since day one that he moved there but literally the entire team is capable of it. Baxter was receiving the ball on halfway line at one point ffs! 🤣👏

Jamaica 11 a.m. hangover from hell and it’s all the manager’s fault. Evatt out!
TBF the post match 8 hours in the all inclusive cocktail bar may have been partially responsible.

First 30 minutes of the game was a familiar sad tale - playing OK but let down by passes going astray and even though there was little threat on our goal, it was nervy. No way on earth at that stage I could have imagined what was to follow - one of the best hour's of watching the Whites for ages. At times it was beautiful and there were some great individual performances too. Throw in results elsewhere and it really doesn’t get much better than yesterday. OK it’s just 3 points, but to see the team put it all together like that was a privilege. After all we’ve been through, days like that are a reminder of why we do it - and what we hope for every game.

My head may be battered but I am one very happy punter this morning.