Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Where will we finish

Eddie

20 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I accept Cambridge were poor on Saturday and it’s hard to judge exactly how good our performance was but the missed chances at Blackpool really cost us along with the sending off but it shouldn’t overlook how well we played and certainly on Tuesday I still can’t see how we didn’t beat Wigan, we were far the better team.

We really don't seem to have had the rub of the green like others have. Take Pompey yesterday, Oxford had two off the post first half and how many late savers and pens have Pompey had? I really don’t see either Barnsley or Derby as anything like unbeatable for us if we turn up and for once take the chances we get. Surely we can’t keep missing sitters can we? Get Dion back and AC now firing and we’ll do both this time and make up for last week. 🙂

Portsmouth had a goal set up by a corner flag yesterday as well. When your luck is in...

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/33727/13085875/corner-flag-with-the-assist-portsmouth-score-bizarre-goal

12 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Blackpool could play a big part in whether we go up or not. Already dented us, but they have to play all but Peterborough.

Derby and Posh definitely got the easiest run in on paper though as we know it doesn’t always turn out like that. I still think Pompey might slip up because they’ve also got a tough run in. At the end of the day it’s what we do and if we show the fight we did at Barnsley we shouldn’t fear anybody.

4 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

This is where are season starts down to us now !

Your right; last season we were already out of the automatic by a country mile and doubtful if we would reach a playoff place.

it doesn’t matter what our run looks like it’s all about winning games and we are good enough if we stop gifting goals and missing sitters.

forget the two defeats in our derby games and win the remaining games 

We will know a lot more after this week, entering the international break, especially after playing Oxford and Derby.

However, for as bad as it's felt against the top teams, on paper it's not been too bad.

Results against the top 8 sides this year

Pompey -  L

Derby - W

Barnsley - D, D

Peterborough - D

Stevenage - W

Oxford - D

Blackpool - W, L

So 2 losses, 3 wins and 4 draws. Really not that bad at all. If we can continue to win at home and get a draw at the least to teams around us away from home, I think we can do it. 

Saying that there's nothing that I've seen this season from Derby, Peterborough, Stevenage that entails that we cannot win there. It's all down to us, play our way and cut out the mistakes.

31 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Saying that there's nothing that I've seen this season from Derby, Peterborough, Stevenage that entails that we cannot win there. It's all down to us, play our way and cut out the mistakes.

For the purposes of looking at where we can afford to drop points eg draw at Derby, I think we can forget Posh away for now.  Last game of season is such a one off, completely different scenario.  If we were playing them next week, yes a point's a decent result.  Come the last day I'd be amazed if we can afford to draw and still be guaranteed promotion, we'd have to be 3 points clear of both Derby & Barnsley (I think we'd settle for being a point clear going into the last game?).

I was hoping Posh would be out of the top 2 race by then and be preparing for the play offs, but their recent form means that's far from certain.  Going there 3 points clear of them on last day wouldn't do much for my ticker.

• 2 weeks later...

We can hope for an automatic spot but our chances of overhauling Derby are slim to none now they have a 4 point advantage and a much easier run in than us, so it's time to look at the playoffs.

Currently a 13 point gap to 7th place so it would require a spectacular crash and burn job not to qualify although I expect Lincoln in 7th to overhaul Oxford and have a crack at Barnsley and Posh despite them having a game in hand. Lincoln are on fire and charging into the playoffs like a runaway train. Joe Taylor in particular can't stop scoring (20 so far?). If their run continues, I'd expect them to be the biggest threat.

Still a chance Stevenage could make the playoffs ahead of Lincoln as they have a game in hand, but I'm not convinced.

If it was on who plays the best football, we would have won the league weeks ago. Unfortunately its not. But i still think were more than capable of finishing 2nd. But need to get everyone back fit for after the international break.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, tomski said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t fancy anyone other than Cambridge over 2 legs. 

Fucking hell 🤣. Right now I feel like that 🤣

3 hours ago, waffer cup 07 said:

If it was on who plays the best football, we would have won the league weeks ago. Unfortunately its not. But i still think were more than capable of finishing 2nd. But need to get everyone back fit for after the international break.

2 hours ago, Popeye doyle said:

Let’s get Vic, Charles and Baxter back and playing before the playoffs and get them match fit.

The playoff semis are a minefield but if we get to the final, I think on a big Wembley pitch we will beat anybody.

Positive posts, that aren’t beyond the ridiculous, as some would have you believe.

Are Derby going to drop more than 4 points in their last 7 games? If you had listened to my Derby mate I’ve spent the weekend with, then yes. Can we win our last 7 games? Unlikely but yes, we can. It might not require that if Derby drop more.

Personally I think 3/4th are now more likely and if we go into the play-offs with some form and players back, then we’ll be favourites. 

14 minutes ago, desperado said:

Fucking hell 🤣. Right now I feel like that 🤣

Positive posts, that aren’t beyond the ridiculous, as some would have you believe.

Are Derby going to drop more than 4 points in their last 7 games? If you had listened to my Derby mate I’ve spent the weekend with, then yes. Can we win our last 7 games? Unlikely but yes, we can. It might not require that if Derby drop more.

Personally I think 3/4th are now more likely and if we go into the play-offs with some form and players back, then we’ll be favourites. 

That worries me if you do to. It’s hard to think against it. Plenty of football left to play though and the fact it’s could be one of 7 at the moment means I’ll not deep dive to much. 

We need to build our momentum up and if we can get to 5/6 wins in the run in I think we will do just that. 

Getting Baxter back will be huge. Not a dig at Coleman but it’s clear to see he’s the player we’ve missed most. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, tomski said:

Getting Baxter back will be huge. Not a dig at Coleman but it’s clear to see he’s the player we’ve missed most. 

Absolutely.

Wanting Baxter back and acknowledging that Coleman is a reserve L1 keeper shouldn’t mean Coleman is derided.

Next weekend will be an interesting watch, just praying we get a couple of results in our favour to set Stevenage up.

I think when it comes to the play offs form doesn’t really matter to an extent

last season we only lost one (accy at home) towards the end so we went into the play offs in decent form but failed to show

But yes getting Charles & Baxter fit is key also is protecting the side so maybe if it becomes impossible to go up rotate the side 

On 31/12/2023 at 10:39, L/H White said:

3rd or 4th 

Then the lottery off the playoffs

Still haven't changed my mind. 

Think we'll lock up 3rd, hopefully Blackpool don't sneak into 6th or it's another season in league 1

I can see Derby losing 4 points away Portsmouth and home Blackpool so if and a big if we can put away our chances and go on a unbeaten winning run 2nd is still up for grabs