Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Ani

Wish we had a full strength squad for this one. If we were in Barnsley‘s position, we’d be desperate to turn us over and clawback the points difference, so beating them takes on special importance. They’ll certainly be giving it everything they’ve got and it’s the kind of game that would suit George if he was available. Still, he’d probably get sent off anyway.

Hopefully we’ll play well, get a fair rub of the green and that should be enough to see them off.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

How many Aussies, South Africans and Kiwis have played for the England cricket team over the years? Gazillions.

They are all categorically English 

Baxter

Cogley, Toal, Taylor, Forrester(if fit), Ogbeta

Dempsey, Sheehan, Maghoma

Vic, Charles

Just mindful of not throwing in all of the new signings in yet, Ramsay can be massive for us but played his first game Tuesday and hasn't played a lot of football with injuries etc.

Collins to come off the bench for me, let Charles and Vic have extra motivation now.

Santos and Thommo a side, we've got a very strong team here and no reason why we can't put Barnsley to the sword.

13 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Start him over Dion for me. 

Charles not been at it for a few weeks now

Huge blow to your current leading man - essentially saying you’re no longer star man, there’s a new kid in town.

It’ll be Dion and Vic, as it should be but with a lot of positivity around Collins making an appearance around 60 mins.

Wing backs is another where I don’t think we can change either of them after Carlisle. Again, Ashworth to start but Ogbeta off the bench with an hour gone.

Iredale, Toal, Taylor at cb

Midfield picks itself with no GT.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Huge blow to your current leading man - essentially saying you’re no longer star man, there’s a new kid in town.

It’ll be Dion and Vic, as it should be but with a lot of positivity around Collins making an appearance around 60 mins.

Wing backs is another where I don’t think we can change either of them after Carlisle. Again, Ashworth to start but Ogbeta off the bench with an hour gone.

Forrester possibly fit will he start or trust Taylor making debut, think I’d go with Forrester. 

Aye you cant be dropping Dion as much as hes been in poor form. Hes missing big chances but hes not living off many.

Hopefully a new dynamic in and around him he will get a few more and gets his eye back in.

Hes not clinical enough to be living off one or two clear cut chances a game.

13 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Forrester possibly fit will he start or trust Taylor making debut, think I’d go with Forrester. 

Both a risk - one new, one possibly being rushed back.

Personally, as long as you’ve got Toal and Iredale and this lad is as good as it’s being made out then I’d take that risk and make sure Forrester is properly recovered and doesn’t put himself out for a lot longer.

We all know how Barnsley will play high press and try and man mark Sheehan we need to get the ball moving quicker and use our wing backs and have Maghoma and Dempsey making runs from midfield and hopefully we beat them. 

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Was pretty much going to say the same thing when I saw @Lostock Whites team.

Taylor as the Santos replacement, but leave all the others with the new ones ready for impact off the bench.

Would be a poor message to those who have done well and contributed, to turf them out in the first game possible.

Iredale gone quietly under the radar, I think he's been really good these last few games as LCB.

26 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

We all know how Barnsley will play high press and try and man mark Sheehan we need to get the ball moving quicker and use our wing backs and have Maghoma and Dempsey making runs from midfield and hopefully we beat them. 

Changed their playing style according to Evatt throw lots of players forward attack in numbers and go for it. 

They have changed from last season and are not as structured as they were – but they are probably more of a threat in terms of goals,” he said. “They had to change and evolve, and they have done.

“The attack in great numbers and have threats on the pitch. They like that open and transitional game.

“We have to make sure we manage those transitions and are ready to throw back our own punches.”

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Baxter

Cogley, Toal, Taylor, Forrester(if fit), Ogbeta

Dempsey, Sheehan, Maghoma

Vic, Charles

Just mindful of not throwing in all of the new signings in yet, Ramsay can be massive for us but played his first game Tuesday and hasn't played a lot of football with injuries etc.

Collins to come off the bench for me, let Charles and Vic have extra motivation now.

Santos and Thommo a side, we've got a very strong team here and no reason why we can't put Barnsley to the sword.

bit harsh on Ashworth after his performance last weekend

Ogbeta falls into that same category as Ramsey

I'm sure they'll start league games, jus tnot yet

24 minutes ago, Zico said:

Completely forgot about Ashworth my bad, yeah I'd have him starting, was my MOM last weekend along with Sheehan.

It will be interesting to see where Taylor fits best in the back 3, from what I've heard he's very physical and supposed to be a lot bigger than what his current 6ft 2 height suggests online. He could slot right in the middle but it a big ask straight away.

I think we get the best of Toal on the outside but he can do a job for us in the middle.

Edited by Lostock Whites

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, Zico said:

Agreed - Taylor for Santos the only change i'd make from last week. Ogbeta and Ramsey will get 20 - 25 mins again, Collins might get a bit longer depending on how things go.

Hopefully we can keep Toal in 1 piece for another couple of games then we ought to be able to rest him until he's 100%

Assuming Toal and Forrester come through training (not sure if they’re genuine concerns or if Iles is trying his hand at sensationalism), I’m not actually as worried as I was on Wednesday morning. Santos obviously a huge loss but we’ve coped before and we’ll cope again.

Win this and we win the league. 

1 minute ago, Krimzon said:

More likely to be Forrester right, Toal middle,  Iredale left , Taylor for Forrester if hes not fit .

Shirley ? 

Would have thought so. Big ask for Taylor to come in after a day or two of training, but it’ll be handy for him to be on the bench all the same.