Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge United (H)

captainmed

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Pointless though if you don’t do something with it. We just have to be more clinical second half.

Kin ell mate, we were dominating and winning and creating actual chances and missing easy ones when I posted that

The point was that Wigan was nothing like that 

We went shit second half for a bit though

1 minute ago, Zico said:

Kin ell mate, we were dominating and winning and creating actual chances and missing easy ones when I posted that

1 minute ago, Zico said:

Fair enough 👍🤗

Job done, move on. Looked like it could have been one of those days early on, especially when Cogley hit the bar, but fair play to them for sticking at it and eventually breaking them down.

For what it’s worth, the option of twatting it upfield would have been meat and drink to their back four whereas those occasions where Maghoma and Thomason moved between the lines they had no idea how to cope.

Collins grew in to it and hopefully he’ll get a big boost from what was a great run and finish. 

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Collins grew in to it and hopefully he’ll get a big boost from what was a great run and finish. 

This.

He needed that goal and hope he can now become an important player for us in these last 11 games. 

21 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

A win is a win so upwards and onwards but today and all this week i have give a lot of thought to Evatt the way we play and next season.

If we stay down i think we will thrive next season and the squad and Evatts football will get better with this team.

Go up and in all seriousness Evatt wont change the style of Football he has ingrained into this squad and i see when we play teams like Burnley, Norwich and the like we will get beat week in week out....

I dont see us changing the squad much in the summer as most are tied to long term deals.

I will always want a win but if Evatt is to grow this team i think long term another season in league one wont hurt us

Most will go against this view it has just been a shit week

I think the problem with staying down for another season, two of the teams who are relegated from the championship look much stronger than us, with the exception of Rotherham.

3 minutes ago, woolli said:

I think the problem with staying down for another season, two of the teams who are relegated from the championship look much stronger than us, with the exception of Rotherham.

Plus Wigan won’t be shit again

and L2 teams near top have money

got to be now 

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Job done, move on. Looked like it could have been one of those days early on, especially when Cogley hit the bar, but fair play to them for sticking at it and eventually breaking them down.

For what it’s worth, the option of twatting it upfield would have been meat and drink to their back four whereas those occasions where Maghoma and Thomason moved between the lines they had no idea how to cope.

I enjoyed a lot of what we did today, against a team camped in their own half, even when 0-1 down. Better tempo, movement and shape, liked how Collins dropped off to get involved in the play, some of it didn't come off first half but fair bit better second half.

Should have been 3 up by time Tommo scored, other decent efforts / chances 2nd half before it became a friendly, That lad's block on the line from Collins was heroic. 

Could have been 5.

It wasn't,  be I am far happier than last Monday & Tuesday. Crowd were patient, so the players didn't get stressed 

Onwards to Barnsley. 

Edited by embankment
More info

54 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ashworth is on loan. 

Forrester may well have a better contract, but he would have still played in the same league. I don't think it's all about the money- he will want to play.

Hopefully he will get some more time to keep his sharpness up (could have had a few minutes today)- I rate his defensive qualities and they may be required. 

Its the loan players that would arguably want more of a guarantee of playing, little point moving clubs for 9 months if you can sit on the bench at your own club instead.

I rate Forrester too, just a pity for him only 3 can play that position and they are all good.   I'd be happy for him to have Jones position and Jones to be RWB occasionally.  

8 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Plus Wigan won’t be shit again

and L2 teams near top have money

got to be now 

Absolutely this.

Could be a while in this division if we don't do it this year.

And I think Evatt will be coaching in the championship next season come what may.

Hope it's with us.

38 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

He was showing he was plenty good enough in the spell before his injury, good enough to challenge Jones, who's had his share of off days, for a place in the back 3. 

Not sure either Williams or JDC should be considered standing dishes, both are fine against piss weak, non threatening opponents like today's but both get found out by better sides who press us more and have physical wide players. 

A back five of Jones, Forrester, Santos, Toal and Iredale would be more likely to stand up to the better, tougher sides

That would be my back 5 too, for the tougher games as you say, they have a bit of everything.  I was just stating who the back 5 has been all season when available, so I was surprised folk expected Forrester to start, when he hasn't before (ahead of the others).  

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its the loan players that would arguably want more of a guarantee of playing, little point moving clubs for 9 months if you can sit on the bench at your own club instead.

I rate Forrester too, just a pity for him only 3 can play that position and they are all good.   I'd be happy for him to have Jones position and Jones to be RWB occasionally.  

Evatt has always said he won't guarantee loans will play. Even to the point that he won't take them if parent clubs try to stipulate it. Quite adamant. 

Point about Firrester is that he worked his way in on merit. 

Then when he came back from injury, he couldn't get a game in place of someone supposedly carrying an injury, and was even usurped by the emergency late loan from West Brom. Taylor did well in fairness, bit it's as if Evatt doesn't trust him at the moment.

As said elsewhere, I wouldn't be unhappy to see him come into the back 3 on Tuesday, with Jones going to rwb.

Might just make us a bit tougher defensively, and Jones does put a decent cross in too. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Why do players put out statements like that keep it to yourself and do the talking on the pitch! 

Why do you post on here?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, victor meldrew said:

This season had the potential to be the 96-97 season when we went to games , especially in the last third, when it wasn’t are going to win, but by how many 

Utter, utter horseshit

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Why do players put out statements like that keep it to yourself and do the talking on the pitch! 

Another thing Evatt has spoken to them about.

In fairness, the post isn't controversial, just a bit odd.

Of course if abuse has been flying around then that might be understandable, but you're right- better off addressing it through the club formally.