Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Most Ridiculous Transport Ideas

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

Got a couple of three mates going to Wimbledon on Saturday., (not mentioning any names T-Shape). They decided as a "money-saving" exercise  to get the National Express and now have to be in Manchester for 5amish for a five hour bus journey to the capital, before getting on the tube. Better still, after booking the journey, had second thoughts on the journey home times involved and decided to book trains for a return journey, so with the travel card will have paid well over the £42.50 for Saturday speacials on a train...

Got to admire the commitment, but got me thinking of anyone else had equally strange friends, who have crackpot travel ideas..

• Site Supporter

We went to Sardinia for the 90 world cup. We got a minibus to Gatwick, a flight to Ajaccio in Corsica landing on a Sunday evening when there is no public transport. Had to hire a coach between about 15 of us to the other side of the island. Had to sleep in the foyer of a hotel then get a ferry & a train to Cagliari the next day.

The return journey included a ferry strike & then 3 taxis ( of which there were only 2 available, so 2 of us had to wait 90 mins for one to return) across the island at about £90 a throw if irc, we would have missed our flight back to Gatwick if it hadn't been delayed. Ended up in Manchester in the early hrs thus incurring another taxi fare...ended up costing us a lot more than we originally saved & a ball ache of a journey.

• Moderators

Stansted to Porto was fine, as we were playing there, well almost.

There were folk who flew to Germany for 1p. Except it was to Frankfurt. From Bristol. And other ridiculous shit.

Manchester->Prague->Sofia then 6 hours through the mountains via a KFOR checkpoint to Skopje was a long trip. When you get there and there's a BWFC steward pointing the way... Yes mate, I've made it this far, do one. Up at 5am and all the way back. 4 timeszone changes and currencies in a day.

Got a couple of three mates going to Wimbledon on Saturday., (not mentioning any names T-Shape). They decided as a "money-saving" exercise to get the National Express and now have to be in Manchester for 5amish for a five hour bus journey to the capital, before getting on the tube. Better still, after booking the journey, had second thoughts on the journey home times involved and decided to book trains for a return journey, so with the travel card will have paid well over the £42.50 for Saturday speacials on a train...

Got to admire the commitment, but got me thinking of anyone else had equally strange friends, who have crackpot travel ideas..

You're wrong mate. It's cost a grand total of 36 quid. I'm a pint up.

Munich away we did Manchester to Stansted on national express, stansted to Salzburg for a night, Salzburg to Munich for a night then the same way back. Home for 6 Saturday morn for an 8 o'clock start at Asda. Great few days.

Edited by tshape

Not watching Bolton but hitching it to Torquay in 74, caught a bus to Leigh then one to Lowton, walked a few miles to the M6. got a lift off folk going to S Wales and they went the wrong way, we was only 15 miles from London, they headed west down the M4 and over the Severn Bridge before i bailed out.Got a lift to Bristol and decided to catch the midnight train, fell asleep and woke up at Plymouth. Finally got in Torquay after about 20 hours. 

Not exactly an "idea", but spewing up in the taxi in Istanbul the morning after Besiktas and thus missing my flight meant an emergency single from Euston to Wigan for 50 summat quid (after an emergency single to the UK from BA for fuck knows how much). I wouldn't have bothered, but I'd flown out from Manc and my car was me owd mum's in Daisy Hill. I see Th'East Midlands Airport now- now!!! - does flights direct to Turkey. Cunts!

Drove to Stanstead,overnight in a good b&b,flight to Santiago in Spain, hire car to Braga for night before match, drove to Guimares for the game and stayed in a hotel for the night, drove back to Santiago the morning after and home from Stansted all on the same day. Including ale and food and all other expense it was still cheaper than the official day trip by a wide margin.

Fixed a meeting up in Paris for a Wednesday morning and drove there and back from Tottington. By sheer chance(!) we played Gillingham in the League Cup the night before, couple of goals from Eidur did the job. Piss wet through I got to the Ibis in Calais about midnight for a couple of hours kip before driving down the A26. My Volvo S40 took 17 cases of Stella in the boot on the way back. Made a few quid on the old expenses, a couple of days "off work" and a good win. 

Did Manchester to Madrid-Vigo-Guimaraes 

Overnighter in Madrid taking in a Champions League game

Not a bad trip

Also did Mcr-Stuttgart, train to Munich. Was ok but the flights were full of Everton who'd been playing Nuremberg

I was only following orders

And thinking about it, Blackpool-Stansted-Toulon with Ryanair. Train to Marseilles, then back on Traf's coach to Nimes, Nimes to Liverpool

Last away day, I did Happy Airways to Lisbon, no fucking wonder.