Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Terror Attacks

Spider

I don't think anybody would say they are proud to be white, would they?

Other than an out and out racist, obvs

I think political correctness can make people feel as though they need to feel guilty for being white though.

Bit like gay pride is ok but straight pride would be frowned on.

I think political correctness can make people feel as though they need to feel guilty for being white though.

Bit like gay pride is ok but straight pride would be frowned on.

Do folk feel that? Never thought about, I've never understood the straight parade argument though? Would anyone wanna do it?

I don't really feel anything for being white.. I'm just white, I definitely feel very privileged to be English. People don't realise how lucky they are to be born with free education, NHS, pretty reasonable justice system and police force plus the rest . I wouldn't say I'm proud though. I'm probably more proud of local events or by things I'm actually involved in.

I'm proud to be English. It's an amazing country we live in and folk don't know how lucky they are sometimes.

A good gauge on this is when I go on holiday and people find out I'm English they love it.

Being white? Well I'm white wouldn't say I'm proud or ashamed of being white

I don't really feel anything for being white.. I'm just white, I definitely feel very privileged to be English. People don't realise how lucky they are to be born with free education, NHS, pretty reasonable justice system and police force plus the rest . I wouldn't say I'm proud though. I'm probably more proud of local events or by things I'm actually involved in.

I'm proud to be English. It's an amazing country we live in and folk don't know how lucky they are sometimes.

A good gauge on this is when I go on holiday and people find out I'm English they love it.

Being white? Well I'm white wouldn't say I'm proud or ashamed of being white

I think that's about where I am.

Do folk feel that? Never thought about, I've never understood the straight parade argument though? Would anyone wanna do it?

Think folk might because the other lot do.

The point I was making is that as a white Christian heterosexual male. I just never get invited on parades and I think that is unfair. Why can I not have a parade ?

I am currently listening to the mother in law moan about the egg poacher she bought from Morrisons. So if there is parade for people who have killed their in laws I might be allowed to join that.

Think folk might because the other lot do.

The point I was making is that as a white Christian heterosexual male. I just never get invited on parades and I think that is unfair. Why can I not have a parade ?

I am currently listening to the mother in law moan about the egg poacher she bought from Morrisons. So if there is parade for people who have killed their in laws I might be allowed to join that.

I bought en egg poacher. Total shit and not worth the aggro.

There's no substitute to normal pan poached eggs.

Don't let the water get to boiling. Keep your eggs chilled. Put them in a bowl first.

• Site Supporter

Should you keep eggs in the fridge?

David Egg'nog

Wife's rule of thumb is that if you bought something from a freezeer, bring it home and put it in the freezer. If from a fridge, bring home and put it in fridge. If you buy something that is sold at room temperature (ambient temp. in supermarket speak) then keep it at room temp. Our fridge used to be full of sauces, pickles, jams, etc. but no longer. 

​Best thing is, if you don't use an opened jar of jam again for a while, it matters little if stored in fridge or cupboard it'll still have green mould that needs stirring in before you put it on wife's toast.

• Site Supporter

Coddled eggs were a thing in the eighties. Basically, you took the agg from its shell and put it in a pot with a lid and placed said pot with lid in a pan of boiling water.

When you get it out you removed the lid and ate it from the pot, maybe dipping in toast soldiers. You know, just like putting an egg in its shell in boiling water and taking the top off and eating it from the shell, maybe dipping in toast soldiers

• Members

Do you have to be white to be proud of the country, way of life or traditions? I don't think any of those things are associated with the colour of one's skin.

Let's reverse this.

Are you ashamed to be white?

As an after thought based on recent advice from either Whites Man or Ani (memory failing and can;t be arsed trawling back) I could probably have phrased it better. Rather than 'proud to be white', 'not ashamed to be white' would be more appropriate.

Edited by bolty58

I am proud to be English. We have contributed so much to the world but a lot gets disparaged because it was achieved by "dead white males".

I have a militant-ish Asian friend on Facebook (no he's not sat next to me as I am typing this BTW) who was having a go at the British Empire. It was far from perfect I know and we did get a lot of wealth from it but at least we left our former colonies in a better condition than those of the other imperial European powers.

The key is loving your country but not hating other people's, you always get the idea that the Brexit lot follow half of that formula.

So this argument taken to its natural conclusion means that we shouldn't be proud of our country, way of life or traditions?

Good luck trying to change millennia of evolved human behaviour. I am proud to be white and have no problem with people of other hues being proud of theirs.

You're one on the many who are ashamed of what you are. That's your problem.

;)

I'd echo the general sentiments above;  Couldn't say I'm proud to be white but shouldn't feel guilty for what a lot of white folk did in the past.

Britons have a history where there's a lot they should be proud of but a lot not to be as well.

Thing is, fcuk all of it was down to me . . . how can i take pride in that?

Edited by madthatter

I am proud to be English. We have contributed so much to the world but a lot gets disparaged because it was achieved by "dead white males".

I have a militant-ish Asian friend on Facebook (no he's not sat next to me as I am typing this BTW) who was having a go at the British Empire. It was far from perfect I know and we did get a lot of wealth from it but at least we left our former colonies in a better condition than those of the other imperial European powers.

The key is loving your country but not hating other people's, you always get the idea that the Brexit lot follow half of that formula.

Now then, quite funny you should say that pal, as I was actually at a speech yesterday given out my mate MF, along with a few other Muslims and ex Muslims.

He's been on Newsnight in the past and features in the article below.

https://www.asianexpress.co.uk/2015/12/call-for-support-demonstration-to-be-had-after-attack-on-bradford-christian/

Some of our Leeds/Bradford posters may be aware of the work he's doing over there re warning folk about grooming gangs, Islamist extremists etc.

He's actually doing a very dangerous job IMHO but has others on his side.

They've got a petition going and they've got a meeting planned at Downing St for early next year.

Fair play to the guy though, as he's very actively trying to solve a problem.

I'd say some aspects of other cultures have been beneficial. Not convinced about multiculturalism though, perhaps it does depend on how you view it.

For me allowing a large influx of people almost all of whom are housed together in areas with few indigenous folk was a huge mistake.

For from a multicultural society we are a society with many cultures in. Ie they often don't mix, and it has allowed the recreation of societies from which many of their forebears fled for a better life.

Naturally there was some disdain, and rightly we changed and became more accepting and its now biting us back.

A stable healthy society should accept immigrants, and naturally will take up aspects of their society which enriches everyone, food, for example.

Unfortunately we now have far too much of the stuff we don't need, which has made us poorer.

A gradual crackdown may be the only way; perhaps a moratorium on construction of new places of worship; far greater scrutiny of religious accounting (all religions) for a start.

Totally agree.  The problem as I see it in my lifetime (post Blair really) is that large immigrant groups, be that Asian, Poles or whatever, have come in too quickly and have tended to sit side by side poor white areas, creating even more competition and cultural divides.

When folk who may 'feel' more entitled see 'foreigners' get what they have and probably make more of their opportunity it breeds further resentment.

Granted, some cultures haven't really tried to integrate that well, some generation after generation.

Always irritates me that the white upper middle class who support these policies never seem to foresee these issues and to point this out makes you a 'insert -ism or -phobia word here'.  They also usually live in lovely green suburbia or the country far, far away from the ensuing melting pot.

Edited by madthatter

Always irritates me that the white upper middle class who support these policies never seem to foresee these issues and to point this out makes you a 'insert -ism or -phobia word here'. They also usually live in lovely green suburbia or the country far, far away from the ensuing melting pot.

True - which is why I thought Labour's 'Migrant impact fund' was a decent idea. The thrust being that money was diverted to areas just like Bolton which tend to get a disproportionately high arse end out of the immigration deal.

Even I sometimes find myself telling my girlfriend 'Ooh look there's a new set of net contributors' as we pass another family of fat east European gypsy types on Halliwell Rd.

Please don't tell any of my friends at the Momentum meeting though.....