Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Moral Dilemma At Work

MancWanderer

• Members

Manc, I have been in similar (if not quite as convoluted and serious) situations mate and my advice would be to leave well alone.

I have worked is some large international corporations and believe me, they would dispose of you in an instant if some bean counting bastard made a good economic argument for it OR if there was any chance of your actions in some way damaging the companies image/reputation.

Think self preservation in your current circumstances

OK. Long story short.

Senior sales manager has just resigned and left with immediate effect

Summer sales conference a couple of weeks ago. Well known that he was leading the charge in some serious late night boozing in his room and there's been some substantiated rumours that he took advantage of a female member of the salesforce (she told people about it). Some other shenanigans where one of the sales reps faced a pretty serious charge (theft) but threw the senior sales manager under the bus to get himself off the charge ie he said "he told me to do it"

Now......I heard rumours that chan was involved but dismissed it but am now faced with feedback from a number of people that it's true and helped contribute to what went on. 99% certain that I know who it is who had it and I don't like him and imho has helped contribute to my boss leaving the company

Do I.......

a - let sleeping dogs lie as enough damage has been done and say nowt

b - have a word with his manager (who I get on OK with) and give him the nod and let him make the decision

c - go to HR as out of work it's none of my business but in work it's caused a massive shitstorm and he's a cunt for bringing that shit to work

I'm leaning towards b at the moment. Thoughts?

Were you there when any of this happened .

Assume HR have spoken to everyone who was and made their decisions.

Are you going to tell HR that you think they have not had the full story ? So people have lied ?

It seems you are pissed off at one individual and he may be a cunt but if you say he was snorting coke, first question did you see him ? You reply no. Second question - who told you ? Then anyone who has not given full story in formal HR meeting which I am pretty sure has some legal significance in terms of contract of employment could be fucked.

If you are not a witness you are simply spreading gossip, not saying that gossip ain't true but I am 100% certain that everyone who was there with have a slightly different version of what went on that minimises their involvement.

It is only a moral dilemma if you actually saw anything or you think someone is being blamed who should not be. Top bloke is the fall guy but that is because he was top guy and carries more responsibility.

Stay out of it.

I agree about staying out of it.

As far as i can make out. The inquest has already been carried out.

One poor bastard has fallen on his sword.

Just keep your distance from the guy you suspect is the instigator.

Upper Management will have looked into all aspects of the case but will only act on hard evidence.

In the coming years the events of that night will get exagerated .

The woman in question will probably never attend another conference. But if she does make sure you are first in the queue.

So in answer to your question.

LET IT LIE .

Edited by embankment

• Site Supporter

He knows and wants to leave it saying enough damage has been done and why bring more shit into it?

I get it but........

Put your phone on voice recorder. Quietly have a word with the other manager as you think you ought to, and explain you're happy to leave the decision with him, even if that decision rests uneasy with you.

Leave the room and quickly save the recording onto a couple of storage items. See which way the land lies over time. You've got some evidence to back you up should you need it.

Put your phone on voice recorder. Quietly have a word with the other manager as you think you ought to, and explain you're happy to leave the decision with him, even if that decision rests uneasy with you.

Leave the room and quickly save the recording onto a couple of storage items. See which way the land lies over time. You've got some evidence to back you up should you need it.

Would be inadmissible in a disciplinary hearing i believe this although happy to be corrected

D - dress up as a rich arab wearing a go pro, pretend to have an attractive sales proposition for him, get the mon a pint of wine and watch it all unfold.

This is obviously the correct line of action

End of thread

It's not booze and work. It's illegal drugs and work. They were on a sales conference and the company was paying the hotel bill. They were representing the company even if it was 4 in the morning and everybody was letting their hair down.

What about an anonymous tip off to HR along the lines of following on from the investigation you have held.... Put in enough to show you know what went on, and drop the allegation in there. Onus is on them and you can't be singled out as the whistleblower

• Site Supporter

Senior member of our sales team was totally taking the piss for months. Nothing illegal but just doing fuck all and lying about it.

The guys below him knew but said fuck all to the MD.

I know they don't have to get involved, but for the sake of the company I think it's a moral obligation to speak up about something that could affect the company.

Granted, this may be a slightly different scenario, but the fact is that it was all on the company dollar, and senior people are there to set the right example.

Comes with the territory/salary.

Challenge that yank c*nt to a 'last man standing' drinking contest - the prize? Reinstatement of your mate...you may cheat by getting that sly fucker you dislike to secretly line up some bugle to boost your drinking prowess.

If you're flagging at any point then lighten the load into any nearby fireplace. HTH.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

Not worried about the grassing as such

Question is do I pass the onus on to his manager to do the right thing (good mate) or do it myself. Suppose I'm asking do I trust someone else to do it or do I just steam ahead and maybe lose him as a mate? Fucking hard one but think I'm getting your drift and you know what you're probably right

Speak to your mate (his manager) and tell him what you know. Say that you'd be happy for both of you to attend an investigatory meeting with your line manager. He may turn around and thank you for the offer but he can deal with the issues himself. If he doesn't then deal with anything then make your decision about whether or not it's worth you taking it further because if you do, you're actually questioning your mate's ability to manage his own team.

• Site Supporter

Would be inadmissible in a disciplinary hearing i believe this although happy to be corrected

My brother used to work for a firm in employment law.

A customer had become suspicious of a couple of his employees so decided to covertly record their conversations.

He contacted my brother in a bit of a state; the two guys were planning on killing him in order to take over the company themselves.

He wasn't sure whether he could sack them because of his covert recording.

My brothers company told him to sack their fucking arses immediately.

A recording would be beneficial to protect himself should anyone else attempt to shaft him. He doesn't have to use it aggressively, only as a means of defence.

A rock and a hard place here for manc, as if senior chaps find out some serious stuff been going on and that manc knew about it and did nothing they may be unimpressed.

Manc- you said the other manager is OK but wants to let sleeping dogs lie, but you don't sound convinced.

Not sure if you completely trust the fella, but as others have said do what you think you need to, to protect your own ass.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter

This...don't get involved unless it has impacted on you directly

What do you stand to win?

But you're ignoring the risk that the gaffers discover people in middle-management knew something and did nothing at all.

Taken all weekend to read the replies (appreciated) and think about it

Gonna have a chat with the manager of the bloke who apparently had the gear. Tell him what I've been told and leave it to him to either do summat about it or leave it

I don't have hard evidence and can't investigate it. He can. If nowt else he can fire a warning shot acrosss his bows and let him know that he's been clocked

Thanks all. Gave me a lot to think about