Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Overdoing it.

Burndens Bogs

Cocaine. Before i start, i must point out that i personally don't use the stuff and don't know much about it, other than it's fairly rife these days amongst 18-40 year olds for "recreational use"

I tried it years ago, but drugs aren't really my bag as i find alcohol easily suits my needs.

My concerns are for someone fairly close, who it would appear is overdoing it, ie - using it almost on a daily basis, but denying there is a problem.

For anyone on here who might be more itk about these things, my questions are -

How addictive is the stuff? How bad can things get?, what are the signs that someone has become dependent on it?

Any other info on this subject would be a great help.

Tia.

Obviously not talking about myself here but someone I know very very well had the same issue. 

Its highly addictive. If he is using every day then you need no more signs that he’s a problem. 

Same person I know had huge amounts of spare cash and it’s like any Addiction it’s the cost and monetary impact that causes ill health and the problems so this person didn’t suffer and many people said they couldn’t tell he was on it  that was because he was constantly on it day in day out and thus it was the norm 

a family member of mine also had a big problem with it which stopped when he had a minor heart attack. Doctor asked him how much he took weekly whilst he was strapped to an ecg machine.  He said he didn’t touch it. Doc replied your heart is massively enlarged and it’s going To kill you so tell me the truth and let’s help you. 

So yeah it’s pretty bad like anything if done to excess but not the evil a lot of folk make it out to be but just my personal opinion. 

Cocaine is right up there with the drugs that are the most harmful. But then so is alcohol - we just don't tend to acknowledge it because it's a cultural norm.

It's quite easy to build up a physical dependency to cocaine and certainly if he's doing it almost every day then it's likely they'll end up there, if they aren't already. Sounds like they've a psychological dependence at least 

Achieve drug and alcohol services in Bolton are very good and will be able to help.

https://www.gmmh.nhs.uk/achieve

I hope you can get them to acknowledge there's an issue and work on it! 

7 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Cocaine is right up there with the drugs that are the most harmful. But then so is alcohol - we just don't tend to acknowledge it because it's a cultural norm.

It's quite easy to build up a physical dependency to cocaine and certainly if he's doing it almost every day then it's likely they'll end up there, if they aren't already. Sounds like they've a psychological dependence at least 

Achieve drug and alcohol services in Bolton are very good and will be able to help.

https://www.gmmh.nhs.uk/achieve

I hope you can get them to acknowledge there's an issue and work on it! 

Thanks for that, but i don't think this person will seek any help as he/she won't even accept they have a problem.

3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Thanks for that, but i don't think this person will seek any help as he/she won't even accept they have a problem.

Sorry for making the assumption it was a fella! Very hard if someone won't acknowledge there's an issue.

One thing you could try is planting the seed and leaving the door open. We use it a lot in nursing. If you're able to - broach the subject in a non judgemental way and ask some open ended questions about it. What is it you enjoy about taking it? For example or What are the downsides for you when you take it? Then don't pass any judgement - but just accept it and tell him/her that you're there for them if they ever decide they want to stop using it.

Much more powerful than just telling someone to stop (which tends to make people dig their heels in). Whatever happens - I hope it works out! 

Got to ask them why they are doing it so often? Every now and then on a social outing - I imagine is quite the norm for most "users". Daily use - not sure why. Which is worrying I guess. Do they have family? Children? Responsibilities? Could they lose their job over this usage? I'd imagine you could be very direct - and throw-up a lot of scenarios that might pan out should they continue this frequent use. And financially it must be killing his/her bank balance.

And further to what Kent has touched on. Why don't we bring this up with someone who smokes too much? Or drinks too much? We seem to make out that alcohol abuse is an achievement. Whilst smoking is seriously fucking someone's body up and killing them financially.

Unfortunately from experience there’s no easy answer. My brother in law was pretty much a daily user along with being a problem drinker. Came to a head when he moved up North. His Mrs told him to quit or sell the house, take his half and fuck off. Massive shock to the system and he checked in to The Priory. Thought it had worked but sadly not. He’s now chasing the dragon and started chain-smoking. He’s had the hard ultimatum, professional help, and gentle coaxing from people like me but he just sought another high

Sorry to sound so negative but it’s very difficult. The nearest he came to quitting was being clean for about 2 months after The Priory so I do think that professional counselling is the route most likely to be successful 

7 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Cocaine. Before i start, i must point out that i personally don't use the stuff and don't know much about it, other than it's fairly rife these days amongst 18-40 year olds for "recreational use"

I tried it years ago, but drugs aren't really my bag as i find alcohol easily suits my needs.

My concerns are for someone fairly close, who it would appear is overdoing it, ie - using it almost on a daily basis, but denying there is a problem.

For anyone on here who might be more itk about these things, my questions are -

How addictive is the stuff? How bad can things get?, what are the signs that someone has become dependent on it?

Any other info on this subject would be a great help.

Tia.

Classic signs are their gob swinging like a pendulum and can’t shut the fuck up.

• Moderators

I worked with a girl who did it in her car at lunch

I'm sure I'd have got more into it if it wasn't realtively, compared to weed and beer, so expensive 

£20 bag of weed can last me several days, a £50 bag of coke wouldn't last a night

Fuck that

4 hours ago, Smiley said:

And further to what Kent has touched on. Why don't we bring this up with someone who smokes too much? Or drinks too much? We seem to make out that alcohol abuse is an achievement. Whilst smoking is seriously fucking someone's body up and killing them financially.

I’m not sure someone who is overdoing it on booze is lauded but I accept there may be a higher tolerance. 

Both have really fucked up some of my mates and I wouldn’t wish either dependency on anyone.

• Site Supporter

I wouldn't even know, and nor do I want to know what to do with the stuff. I don't get how someone can knowingly volunteer to shove something so expensive up their nose knowing that there is a likelihood of becoming dependent on buying more for next time at whatever the cost.

It’s absolutely rife across the globe. There’s not a town or city in the civilised world you won’t be able to get it. 

Round here it’s all over the show. Lads will grab a couple of grams just watching the champions league on a Wednesday night in the local. Every function, every night out folk are on it.

Theres people I know close to me who can’t get past their second pint without dialling one in. That’s a little bit worrying, however in my mind, if you’re steaming in before you’ve had an ale, thats a little more concerning. That’s when your chasing the buzz just to bring you up to speed of normal life, no chasing a bit of a buzz after a few ales or to sober you up at a wedding. 

The money side of it is completely irrelevant. If your mind wants something, you’ll pay for it. It has a funny way of making it seem normal. Hence paying £400 a year to watch a shite football team. 

Trouble is, whoever it is probably needs to realise themselves they have a problem. I see blokes having 2-3 ales at dinner and going back to work, they won’t have a clue they have a problem, but they do. 

Bings a fucker. Once it takes a grip I reckon it’s pretty hard to fuck off. Especially if you don’t want to :(

Edited by gonzo

• Members
15 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Bings a fucker. Once it takes a grip I reckon it’s pretty hard to fuck off. Especially if you don’t want to :(

Absolute cunt of a drug , know from bitter experience really doesn't take long to spiral out of control at all .

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Pretty much all of the ones ending in 'ine' are fuckers aren't they?

Codeine is pretty addictive.

i stopped using it when I found out what it actually does to your organs. Dissolves them, basically.

Edited by Spider

This is always useful to provide a bit of context. People have generally got no idea how harmful alcohol is. I've said before on here - when I first became a nurse I was expecting the wards to be full of people who were lifelong smokers - whilst there were smokers there were far more drinkers. And there were drug users - but far, far fewer than the other two.

523f3399eab8ea2450efd35c-750.gif

So if we are to believe the graph, alcohol does much more harm to others than it does to the actual pish head?

As far as harm to the user is concerned, alcohol falls down to about the same as amphetemines - and mushrooms don't harm anyone else at all - apart from a slight risk to the user?

Crack Cocaine appears to be the daddy if you want to do harm to yourself.

Does that make Spag Bol made with magic mushrooms the winner then? 

Edited by Burndens Bogs