Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Old Labour Clubs.

leigh white

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Dunscar Conny club does well covering the B/X area.

The Roundhouse pub in Halliwell used to be the Halliwell Central Reform Club & ran coaches to Wanderers' away games in the late 70's.

Did most of the away games in the promotion season with them, some characters amongst that lot 😊

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Did most of the away games in the promotion season with them, some characters amongst that lot 😊

Mr McGreavy was running the coaches at the time I went on them & i'm still friends going back to then, with a couple of his sons ( T & P ), seeing them a couple of times last season.

Little lever still has a conny club which is alright to be fair. Labour club is now hardy hall and I think I went in once when it was the Labour club for a party of some description 

round here we’ve a Labour club and a legion but no conny club. Legion is ok but haven’t been and no intention of going in the Labour club. 

12 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

Atherton had a Labour Club, Liberal Club, Consevative Club and the Soldiers and Sailors Club, only the Conservative Club left now, the Labour  Club is a Holts house and the Liberal Club is being turned into flats

Hag Fold had a Working Men's Club, a good Monday night out that in 72 in your teens.

I remember going to the Conny club in Adlington when we came up visiting relatives , my Dad and uncle were meant to take me to Port Vale at Burnden in 1986 , but got involved in a card school , so they fobbed me off with a total stranger who my uncle knew . This chap had only nipped in for a pint before the game and got lumbered with me , but he was sound and explained all the songs for me , oh and we won 3-0.

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I remember going to the Conny club in Adlington when we came up visiting relatives , my Dad and uncle were meant to take me to Port Vale at Burnden in 1986 , but got involved in a card school , so they fobbed me off with a total stranger who my uncle knew . This chap had only nipped in for a pint before the game and got lumbered with me , but he was sound and explained all the songs for me , oh and we won 3-0.

Imagine that these days. Fucking hell, anyone who takes someone else's kid to a game is; apparently, a nonce these days. Which is a great shame really.

• Site Supporter
On 30/09/2019 at 14:39, MancWanderer said:

That’s the one!!

Ellesmere , Morris Green. I used to call in on my way home from the night matches last season and intended making myself a member but thanks to Krooked Ken destroying the season never got round to it. I'll call in on Monday night.

They have a good social side and run some cheap day trips. Me and Mrs. Fogarty have been on a few and always come home bladdered.

• Site Supporter
On 30/09/2019 at 20:58, Escobarp said:

Little lever still has a conny club which is alright to be fair. Labour club is now hardy hall and I think I went in once when it was the Labour club for a party of some description 

round here we’ve a Labour club and a legion but no conny club. Legion is ok but haven’t been and no intention of going in the Labour club. 

Once got roped into playing in a chess match there iirc. A neighbour needed a spare player, and upon hearing I played, I was conscripted.

Weird, never been in before nor since.

On 30/09/2019 at 21:42, athywhite1958 said:

Bloody hell Mick, I'd forgot about the Workingmens and it was part of my growing up

Was going to say it can’t have been long since it closed because we used to have our junior football presentations there. Then remembered that was probably 20 years ago. 

• Site Supporter
On 30/09/2019 at 14:41, bolton va va said:

Dunscar Conny club does well covering the B/X area.

The Roundhouse pub in Halliwell used to be the Halliwell Central Reform Club & ran coaches to Wanderers' away games in the late 70's.

Been to a do at Dunscar Con Club today, 1st time I've been in. Decent club and the ale was tasty too. No complaints from me

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Breightmet Boy said:

This is a 7’ single with four songs on it, the bloke in the middle is the compère Peter Barlow.  Breightmet LC making the directors of K-Tel rich :)

72A75C84-FD91-4DB5-B9F5-4453F336B7A0.jpeg

Peter Reid on drums Neil Whatmore   on keyboard .