Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford U’s (H)

Burndens Bogs

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I thought exactly the same, it was DOGSO. But apparently this is the law from FA website.

'The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction.'

Which is mental as means they could literally scoop the ball off the line from a miss hit back pass and all that is awarded is a indirect free kick. Seems odd rule.

Anyway, we won regardless! COYWM

Is the referee to be congratulated on his knowledge of the laws and interpreting them correctly with an instantaneous decision!

• Site Supporter

There was a move towards the end of the game when MJ got brought down in the middle of the park but the ref ignored it. He got up and wiped 2 Oxford players out from behind absolutely nowhere near the ball. 😁 Fucking love him

• Site Supporter

Took both kids with me today for the first time. I've took the lad a few times, but daughter's never been interested before. Ticket office were ace letting me move my season ticket so we could all sit together at no extra charge. They both want one now. Chuffed to fuck. 🙂 This is how you breed new fans.

Edited by Cheese

• Members
33 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Took both kids with me today for the first time. I've took the lad a few times, but daughter's never been interested before. Ticket office were ace letting me move my season ticket so we could all sit together at no extra charge. They both want one now. Chuffed to fuck. 🙂 This is how you breed new fans.

7 year old daughter is dying to come see another match. Chuffed cos she's had no interest before now. Reminds me how much I loved it at her age. 

20 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Before yesterday, when was the last time we won a league game at home in front of our fans?

Tranmere, I think

i was away

9 hours ago, Traf said:

Superb all round team effort today.
Sarce & Doyle do a lot of no-glory dirty work that often goes un-noticed.

Dapo unplayable at times and didn't get the protection from the officials and as for MJ, brilliant.

I was worried about MJ stepping up a league, but he actually looks better in L1, he's even getting forward and not always looking to pass backwards.

Dixon, improving quickly. Not stuck on his line and a couple of good takes.

Dixon makes every shot save look incredibly comfortable and right at him. I’m starting to think work goes into this rather than players always shooting straight at him.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, tomski said:

Dixon makes every shot save look incredibly comfortable and right at him. I’m starting to think work goes into this rather than players always shooting straight at him.

Part of our post match talk in a harvesters - good to see you by the way yesterday 👍

I don’t think it’s a coincidence he seems to be in the right place at the right time, nearly every time. 

5 minutes ago, desperado said:

Part of our post match talk in a harvesters - good to see you by the way yesterday 👍

I don’t think it’s a coincidence he seems to be in the right place at the right time, nearly every time. 

Likewise mate. Deffo summat in Dixon thought process

7 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

In Joel Dixon have we found the first reliable goalkeeper we've had since probably Jussi Jaaskelainen?

Funny how fast things change in football

He was being questioned not 2 weeks ago 😂

Anyway not sure I agree sir, thought our GKs were always decent even on our downward spiral, Al Habsi, Bogdan, Alnwick, Howard.

Matthews and Amos were a bit dodgy, granted.

Having said that I think Dixon has improved with each game he’s played. Not made any worldie saves but his distribution is infinitely better than Gilks and doesn’t have the meltiness of Crellin. Also… he’s a catcher not a puncher of crosses which I love!

Got caught in no man’s land for their goal but I’ll let him off 😃

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Anyway not sure I agree sir, thought our GKs were always decent even on our downward spiral, Al Habsi, Bogdan, Alnwick, Howard.

Matthews and Amos were a bit dodgy, granted.

Having said that I think Dixon has improved with each game he’s played. Not made any worldie saves but his distribution is infinitely better than Gilks and doesn’t have the meltiness of Crellin. Also… he’s a catcher not a puncher of crosses which I love!

Got caught in no man’s land for their goal but I’ll let him off 😃

Andy Lonerghan was very reliable and capable in my opinion.  Matthews pulled off save after save game after game when we were regularly under the cosh, again just opinions but I never understood the criticism compared to say Amos who let in every long range shot.  I'm sure it was the 2 goals at Wigan and Wycombe that fans remember against Matthews, but maybe I've forgotten a load of dropped crosses etc.  Too early to judge Dixon in terms of shot stopping, hardly tested yet.

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

There's a way to go before either condemning him or sanctifying him. He looked steady the past 2 matches, though Santos was giving him daggers after yesterday's goal.

But, agreed, catching where possible rather than blocking or a limp punch gets my vote every time.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Sat on half way line, their mon definitely offside, didn't see the handball mind until later, changing seats to east stand upper big mistake, apparently calling opposition players cheating cunts is frowned upon up there.

Don’t worry about Steejay, he’s a miserable old bastard at the best of times

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Sat on half way line, their mon definitely offside, didn't see the handball mind until later, changing seats to east stand upper big mistake, apparently calling opposition players cheating cunts is frowned upon up there.

It’s alright away from the middle. We tried it in the middle once and there’s some right snooty fuckers. I’m to the left level with 18 yard line. Spotted that handball straight away. The far left of the stand is becoming known as spice corner. State of some of them lot 😮

19 hours ago, Rudy said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say there will be games where MJ & Lee will play with Sheehan pushed forward to protect the back forward 

Might not be Wigan in the cup or next week but it’ll happen

Probably a wise move against some of the better teams .Sheehan is no ball winner but looks the part as a creator. Sarcevic ditto but better defensively although not as quick to see danger as Lee & MJ .MJ was excellent again yesterday but we got stretched out too much & it was hard for him to cover all the spaces.

In some ways we got away with it yesterday despite the fantastic win.