Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fleetwood (H) Pizza Cup

L/H White

42 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Short memories. 

I don’t think we would have got promotion without him at the back last season. As soon as him and Santos formed a partnership we became harder to beat.

Hes about 46 and up a division from last year. Should he be starting in league? No definitely not but he’s not a bad footballer that’s harsh.

Baptiste was a decent stopper in Lg2 and certainly played his part in most of the ‘backs to the wall’ defensive displays that we needed, but as a footballer playing in Lg1? Nah, we need better now.

4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Baptiste was a decent stopper in Lg2 and certainly played his part in most of the ‘backs to the wall’ defensive displays that we needed, but as a footballer playing in Lg1? Nah, we need better now.

I think we do need better, even Baptiste knows that, but he does the ugly side of the game, is a great pro, last season he performed block after block with his experience was nearly always in the right position to do so. 20 years as a pro tells you all you need to know & he’s got couple of more years left in non league should he chose to drop a couple of divisions. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I think we do need better, even Baptiste knows that, but he does the ugly side of the game, is a great pro, last season he performed block after block with his experience was nearly always in the right position to do so. 20 years as a pro tells you all you need to know & he’s got couple of more years left in non league should he chose to drop a couple of divisions. 

That was my point Mounts, he’s been a decent stopper over the years and yes he could possibly do a job for another season or two at Lg2 or non league level, but as a footballer in Lg1? He’s out of his comfort zone imo.

6 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

That was my point Mounts, he’s been a decent stopper over the years and yes he could possibly do a job for another season or two at Lg2 or non league level, but as a footballer in Lg1? He’s out of his comfort zone imo.

As is Doyler on current performances. Ok as a back up but we need a new, younger striker to compete and succeed at this level and higher. To be fair he’s nearly 34 and you can’t stay sharp for ever and no matter how much work he puts in, he’s in there to score goals.

• Members
45 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

But he’s not the first choice in L1, we have better, he’s the back up. But to say he’s a bad footballer I’m not having that 

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

Short memories. 

I don’t think we would have got promotion without him at the back last season. As soon as him and Santos formed a partnership we became harder to beat.

Hes about 46 and up a division from last year. Should he be starting in league? No definitely not but he’s not a bad footballer that’s harsh.

Agree with that.  He's a defender, he keeps the ball away from our goal.  He's not there to look like Santos with the 40 yard passes, he sticks his head in where it hurts and defends the box.  No way would we have gone up if he hadn't been playing so well.  And if any C/B under IE has ever looked like scoring or even getting a header on target, its Baptiste.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

As we kick on there’s a few players who have served good but it’s time to move on. Currently we do need them but I would hope in the next 2 windows we upgrade the squad 

Totally agree and suspect the powers that be also agree.

No point signing a squad good enough for the championship in L2. Sign a squad good enough to get out of it and stay in L1 which is what we’ve done.

Time over the next 12/18 months now to sign a squad good enough to escape L1 and stay in the championship. The recent new contracts, together with summer signing shows Evatt thinks we aren’t a million miles away.

Going off Amaechi’s interview regarding his time in Germany, wouldn’t be surprised if we got him in summer/now but Hamburg due a cut of future fee

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree with that.  He's a defender, he keeps the ball away from our goal.  He's not there to look like Santos with the 40 yard passes, he sticks his head in where it hurts and defends the box.  No way would we have gone up if he hadn't been playing so well.  And if any C/B under IE has ever looked like scoring or even getting a header on target, its Baptiste.

At the tail end of last season when Santos's form had dipped a little I thought he really stepped up. For quite a few of those games when the pressure was on he was the best defender on the park. 

20 hours ago, W.cramp said:

Delfouneso is not even a footballer.  

Sorry but I think the negative comments about Baptiste and Delfounso are well out of order.

Both have definitely put a shift in getting us to where we are and are not bad footballers.

Baptiste has dropped off into the reserves, his legs might have gone but he (in my opinion) still has good distribution and will probably be a settling influence in the changing rooms. 

Fonz seems to have lost his way in BWFC and become a squad player but deserves our respect, I would have loved him to stick one in last night.

Edited by Dimron
Gwammer

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Sorry but I think the negative comments about Baptiste and Delfounso are well out of order.

Both have definitely put a shift in getting us to where we are and are not bad footballers.

Baptiste has dropped off into the reserves, his legs might have gone but he (in my opinion) still has good distribution and will probably be a settling influence in the changing rooms. 

Fonz seems to have lost his way in BWFC and become a squad player but deserves our respect, I would have loved him to stick one in last night.

I get what you're saying, but one of the kids who came on were more likely to score than Delfouneso. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Fonz is a bad un. He’s either lost interest in the game or just can’t be arsed being here. 
Either way, I can’t see many teams taking a punt on him next year. Retired at 30 the lucky man

Agree. 

Its all well and good being OK for a while last season, but he faded then and doesn't seem arsed. Can only go off what we see, and if he wants continued respect, then he has to at least appear interested. 

35 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Fonz is a bad un. He’s either lost interest in the game or just can’t be arsed being here. 
Either way, I can’t see many teams taking a punt on him next year. Retired at 30 the lucky man

Just looked at his stats... he's scored 1 in 6 appearances for us which is the average for his entire career so our glorious leader knew what he was getting, don't forget we weren't the "must go to" destination for footballers at the time of signing. Can't knock him for doing what was it says on the tin.

42 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Sheff W and Blunderland both out toneet

Gotta be good for us. 

Wemberlee! We're the famous Bolton wanderers and we're of to wemberlee (except for those hiding behind their couch, the megson millions waiting for it to come back on in the flying flute and the proper old geezers who want to blame it on there being u21s teams in the cup but really it's because their knees aren't up to a day out in London)

😁

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Gotta be good for us. 

Wemberlee! We're the famous Bolton wanderers and we're of to wemberlee (except for those hiding behind their couch, the megson millions waiting for it to come back on in the flying flute and the proper old geezers who want to blame it on there being u21s teams in the cup but really it's because their knees aren't up to a day out in London)

😁

What about the ones that won’t watch while we’re at that quarter of a century old ‘new’ ground?