Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth again...

Wanderlust

36 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Anyone else notice Bradley and Williams swapped sides a few times?

It happened last Saturday and I put it down to Williams perhaps not knowing where to positioning himself, what with him signing barely 24 hours earlier.

But it happened again today so it must be a tactical idea.

38 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Now if someone could teach the lads how to tie a tie correctly we'd sort to the top.of the league.

Look like sixth formers!

I have noticed this too. 

If only we had a resident cravat wearing dandy dedicated follower of fashion who could teach em... 👀

Can’t be many teams who can live with us once we get an early goal. Such a pleasure to watch. Heard a bloke moaning at half time that we’d sat back instead of going for it. And then go on to score straight after the break. Textbook Evattball just catching teams at their weakest.

Charles has stepped up massively since Christmas.

As for the back three, we’re in chef’s kiss territory there. Who else in this league would score a goal like the third with their right back and centre half?!

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It happened last Saturday and I put it down to Williams perhaps not knowing where to positioning himself, what with him signing barely 24 hours earlier.

Bradley has a habit of following the ball a little bit and drifting out of position so we might actually be doing Williams a disservice in that he’s noticing that and covering accordingly. Which actually brings to mind when they made a couple of breaks from corners and on each occasion it was Charles and Dan who chased all the way back. 

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Bradley has a habit of following the ball a little bit and drifting out of position so we might actually be doing Williams a disservice in that he’s noticing that and covering accordingly. Which actually brings to mind when they made a couple of breaks from corners and on each occasion it was Charles and Dan who chased all the way back. 

A fair point.

I think you're probably right on that.

Comfortable win in the end, even though Pompey are in a bad spell they'll always carry a threat with decent players like Bishop/Dale/Morrell on the pitch. Looks like we've hit some really good form even earlier this time than the last two seasons when we went on the fabled "post January" runs. Back three again absolutely colossal, they're cleaning everything up whilst also contributing massively to progressing the ball efficiently.  Randell still finding his feet in terms of the attacking side but thought he made some very important recoveries when he got back to help out we just need him to get up to full speed & him to gain his confidence back. Nlundulu had a decent debut although I thought he should have put that free header away but he showed his attributes what he can offer us. The other lads who we've had a while now all played brilliant & we're looking like a very good team all over the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, Deanu said:

Comfortable win in the end, even though Pompey are in a bad spell they'll always carry a threat with decent players like Bishop/Dale/Morrell on the pitch. Looks like we've hit some really good form even earlier this time than the last two seasons when we went on the fabled "post January" runs. Back three again absolutely colossal, they're cleaning everything up whilst also contributing massively to progressing the ball efficiently.  Randell still finding his feet in terms of the attacking side but thought he made some very important recoveries when he got back to help out we just need him to get up to full speed & him to gain his confidence back. Nlundulu had a decent debut although I thought he should have put that free header away but he showed his attributes what he can offer us. The other lads who we've had a while now all played brilliant & we're looking like a very good team all over the pitch. 

Could probably do with seeing it again, but there didn’t seem much pace on the cross so he was never going to beat the keeper with pure power and did a decent job of aiming it towards the corner. I put it down as a decent save more than a miss as such. Their rugby player’s free header in the first half was an absolute sitter though. 

6 minutes ago, Deanu said:

Vindaloo's header was actually decent, well directed and powerful, keeper was just well placed to save. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Could probably do with seeing it again, but there didn’t seem much pace on the cross so he was never going to beat the keeper with pure power and did a decent job of aiming it towards the corner. I put it down as a decent save more than a miss as such. Their rugby player’s free header in the first half was an absolute sitter though. 

Beat me to it. 🤫

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It’s because Williams takes the corners from the right side, and Bradley is the last man in the centre circle, so as the game carries on from the corner Bradley fills in on the left with Williams on the right until they can swap back. As soon as they can do, they get back into positions (one time today it took a couple of minutes), it’s definitely not some kind of meaningful tactic.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s because Williams takes the corners from the right side, and Bradley is the last man in the centre circle, so as the game carries on from the corner Bradley fills in on the left with Williams on the right until they can swap back. As soon as they can do, they get back into positions (one time today it took a couple of minutes), it’s definitely not some kind of meaningful tactic.

Makes sense. Just disciplined organising. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ah right.