Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

30 Years ago today

ZiggyStardust

Was sat in the seats we had at the side of the pitch.  30 years - Jesus wept.  Hard to believe that nights that really happened given the last decade.  Would love the next generation of Wanderers fans to experience the same over the next few years. Here’s hoping.  Memories for life (….along with births, marriages, deaths).

Was living in London at the time, got up to the first game but missed this as it was my leaving do/pub crawl/piss up. Didn't know the score when I got back to our staff club with the highlights coming on the tv. Great memories (and photos) of me bladdered and celebrating in front of the screen. Wish I'd been there, but this was the 2nd best way to do it 😀

What a ridiculous era.  I'd never really thought about it in these terms before but 7 games in 2 seasons against Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Villa, scored at least 2 in every game except Villa,  drew 3, won 4!  Throw in the 8th game at Wolves, another 2 goals and another win.  Still find it hard to believe.  I went to all 8 and it was the best 2 years of my life watching Bolton, especially given that the small matter of promotion was thrown in.  If it was now I don't think I'd have the energy for it!

20 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

What a ridiculous era.  I'd never really thought about it in these terms before but 7 games in 2 seasons against Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Villa, scored at least 2 in every game except Villa,  drew 3, won 4!  Throw in the 8th game at Wolves, another 2 goals and another win.  Still find it hard to believe.  I went to all 8 and it was the best 2 years of my life watching Bolton, especially given that the small matter of promotion was thrown in.  If it was now I don't think I'd have the energy for it!

It really was ridiculous. You didn’t quite know what was coming next. Classic BWFC of highs and lows in league and cup games

One of the best nights of my life.

Wingates was the capital of Bolton at the time n a large gang of us went in greenys van, did a lap of the ground before the game bantering with Micky mousers and they didn’t want to know, same on the pitch, they didn’t want to know and we hammered them, result never in doubt.

if I’m ever in a comma then just show me that pic n it’ll bring me round.

Edited by Ruba Mustafa

Incredible night.  As a Manny Rd South regular I was unused to celebrating in seats.  McGinlays header went in and I fell about 3 rows! 

Hard to believe now, how important the cup was in those days, how little football was on telly and the impact we had on the national media with that win.  I was buzzing at work the following day and bought every national newspaper. Still got them in a scrapbook somewhere. 

54 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was at all eight as well. Some of the best days and nights as a Bolton fan, even better than the europe trips in my opinion.

I was 10! Jesus Christ that’s sobering. Remember my dad drove and we parked somewhere over near goodison. Was a few minutes late getting to the ground and was just walking down the steps to our row when Kelly played the ball out to Lee. Think it took us another 10 minutes to find our seats 

we were fantastic that night. If I remember right the seats in the centenary stand where POTD and seeing the segregation keep getting moved down and the numbers we had in there and the noise was unbelievable to me at the time. My first proper away game was Torquay in 89. Can’t remember many if any inbetween that and this. I thought all away games were like these 🤣

got home and in bed just in time for Soccernight I think it might have been to come on and watch again 

Edited by barrycowdrill

Very similar to me, Torquay 89 one of the first ‘away’ trips if not my first, was 9 years old for the Liverpool game and still remember standing on my seat for what felt about 10 minutes singing ‘Souness, Souness, what’s the score’ whilst Michael Thomas was down injured.

I’ve forgotten most of last season’s games already

My old man, the biggest influence on me becoming a Wanderer, was too scared he'd jinx it if he went, so avoided the score all night and watched the highlights on Sportsnight. My mum said she'd never seen him like that before.  Shouting, screaming and singing at the telly!

I've just realised that I'm the age now, that he was then 😳