Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The TCS

Marc505

1 minute ago, embankment said:

Nope .

Reebok sponsored Ryan Giggs boots for more money than they handed over to us for a ten year contract. 

Reebok would have been fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

1997 naming rights

How much did Middlesbrough get for the bt cellnet? 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

I think we missed a trick by not giving the stadium a name when we moved in ( riverside and pride park for example) . that way you just tag the sponsors name onto it and the fans can just ignore the sponsor name when you get a shit one .
By still referring it to the reebok were all just picking the best sponsor name of a list with one good name  on it 

Been discussed before, what would your suggestion be Farny

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Sure, there was initial surprise, and perhaps a fleeting thought that this was embarrassing, or detrimental to the club in some way. Then I remembered I'm not a 12 year old kid hung up on silly names. 

I think it's a quite endearing choice to be honest. A bit daft, but full of character, anything but dull, and with its heart and morals in the right place. I think it's about the most BWFC sponsorship we could have bagged.

• Site Supporter

Toughsheet was trending on Twitter yesterday.

Job done.

Club gets a cash injection, Jeff Stelling makes a thin joke every week to keep the sponsors happy and we all call it the Reebok like we have since it was built.

Progress in my eyes.

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

Job done.

Club gets a cash injection, Jeff Stelling makes a thin joke every week to keep the sponsors happy and we all call it the Reebok like we have since it was built.

Progress in my eyes.

Pretty much this.

27 minutes ago, Spider said:

Job done.

Progress in my eyes.

Spot on. 

Pretty sure everyone at the club and at Tough Sheet knew the reaction the name would get. The guys at TS named the company to get such reactions.

The deal is now all over t'internet so they will be delighted. The clubs is apparently making over £2m over next 3 seasons.

it is very good business all round I honestly do not a give a shit what they call the Reebok but the back story of why a local business wants to put money into the club is great. If you are bothered what fans of other clubs think stay off Twitter. 

Seems a bit late in the day to give the stadium a name after 25 years. I don’t think I have the attachment to the reebok name for the stadium others seem to do. It was always just a sponsor. Sounded a bit better aye. Emotionally invested I the name. Na

• Members
4 minutes ago, tomski said:

Seems a bit late in the day to give the stadium a name after 25 years. I don’t think I have the attachment to the reebok name for the stadium others seem to do. It was always just a sponsor. Sounded a bit better aye. Emotionally invested I the name. Na

Indeed.

Whenever we go to Huddersfield, for example, does anyone refer to the stadium's name (which has changed countless times)? Surely they just say they're going to Huddersfield away.

They probably got upset by our shirt sponsor too.

Any fully grown adult getting upset by this is officially a man-baby.

13 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Indeed.

Whenever we go to Huddersfield, for example, does anyone refer to the stadium's name (which has changed countless times)? Surely they just say they're going to Huddersfield away.

I call it uddersfield

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Indeed.

Is it not still the McAlpine then?

32 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Indeed.

Come to think of it I'd always just say Huddersfield away. And if pushed called it the McAlpine 😀 I bet some or their lot still call it that too.