Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley away 2nd leg

HomerJay

There’s no denying it, that was just awful. Over both games

Give us a Pizza Cup and play offs at the beginning of the season and I’ve taken it but the way we just ended with a whimper is just a bit sad

Plymouth and Ipswich gone out of this league. Hopefully Wednesday as well. I’ll take a positive look forward 

2 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

That's true but we also can look at Ipswich, play a similar style of football, only team in the league to average more possession than us (60%) 

We are on a process and it's taking time, we are showing the right signs of progress but we just simply need to get better at what we do.

Ipswich would have passed them off the park and scored a couple of goals like they beat them 3-0 at their place a few weeks ago.

But what Ipswich had is investment. The board have to back evatt in the summer, because a lot of our players are not good enough to play the way we try to.

When it comes off, we look unplayable when it doesn't we look abysmal.

Another season at league 1 is more than fine for the position we've been on, having only come from a complete reset of an entirely new squad in League 2 just 2 seasons ago.

Next year, autos have to be the target.

Please never say autos again. Makes my teeth itch.

1 minute ago, Lostock Whites said:

That's true but we also can look at Ipswich, play a similar style of football, only team in the league to average more possession than us (60%) 

We are on a process and it's taking time, we are showing the right signs of progress but we just simply need to get better at what we do.

Ipswich would have passed them off the park and scored a couple of goals like they beat them 3-0 at their place a few weeks ago.

But what Ipswich had is investment. The board have to back evatt in the summer, because a lot of our players are not good enough to play the way we try to.

Another season at league 1 is more than fine for the position we've been on, having only come from a complete reset of an entirely new squad in League 2 just 2 seasons ago.

Our board can't back Evatt to anything like they've backed their manager

I'd be looking at Argyle as an example personally

4 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Ipswich spent over £1m on a full-back. 
We can only spend what we have.

Victor for Dapo looks crazy. 

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Our board can't back Evatt to anything like they've backed their manager

I'd be looking at Argyle as an example personally

Nah - not sure what they are doing is all that good. But we'll see.

Also being Bolton we need a very different model.

9 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

There’s no denying it, that was just awful. Over both games

Give us a Pizza Cup and play offs at the beginning of the season and I’ve taken it but the way we just ended with a whimper is just a bit sad

Plymouth and Ipswich gone out of this league. Hopefully Wednesday as well. I’ll take a positive look forward 

Indeed. No reason to fear Barnsley or Derby (or assume we're any better than them). Tinpot teams coming down (though one will come good, they usually do - won't be Wigan though), few else from this league to worry about apart from if Wycombe get consistent or Pompey learn how to convert some draws into wins. Nobody coming up that's a sleeping giant (though Orient will be one to avoid early season until they run out of steam - cracking old school away though).

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Who are these people Twitter Facebook? 

Twitter mainly.

though a few on here seem to never have a good word for Evatt.

it’s a minority. But it’s tedious.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Nah - not sure what they are doing is all that good. But we'll see.

Also being Bolton we need a very different model.

This is true. You can look at Ipswich, Argyle and whoever else you like. They haven't come as far as we have in the not so many years since FV took over. We were at zero everything then. They have had years and years to get here.

My only concern with Evatt is that he doesn’t seem to like players with character, who have an opinion that differs to his. We have no leaders on the pitch and everybody has to play to his instructions even if things aren’t working. Sometimes you just need someone to take the initiative on the pitch but we don’t have that. The nearest we did have were Sarce and Doyler and look what happened there? Evatt has many qualities and he’s done a super job but I do wish he could be a little more humble and accept that sometimes he needs help on the pitch as much as off it.

3 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

My only concern with Evatt is that he doesn’t seem to like players with character, who have an opinion that differs to his. We have no leaders on the pitch and everybody has to play to his instructions even if things aren’t working. Sometimes you just need someone to take the initiative on the pitch but we don’t have that. The nearest we did have were Sarce and Doyler and look what happened there? Evatt has many qualities and he’s done a super job but I do wish he could be a little more humble and accept that sometimes he needs help on the pitch as much as off it.

Nonsense. We have players with bags of character, Jones, Dempsey, Toal and Bradley to name a few. Otherwise, great post 🙈

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

What are Evatts qualities?