Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan (H)

desperado

Shite but it's self inflicted wounds in that first half that cost us. Once you go two nil down you can't let if get to three before half time and we did. It was such a poor third goal to concede and it killed the game. Just extremely poor game management from us. The 4th was insignificant. Second half they didn't let us play through them and we couldn't create anything. 

I could write a lot about how utterly pathetic that was today and the weaknesses it exposes. But you're all doing that already.

Instead I am going to focus on how this is another abject chapter in this club's failure to appreciate what fixtures like this mean to Wigan, to Bury in the past and to a slightly lesser degree Blackpool. They turn up steeled for it and ready to bully us out of our stride. On far too many occasions we walk straight towards the guns, unappreciative and clueless about what's coming, we get caught by surprise and ultimately embarrassed.

It happened four or five times v Bury in the 80s, it's happened v Wigan a number of times over the past 15 years and a few times before that. We never, ever, ever, ever learn - generation after generation.

There are clubs who seem to thrive on derbies against bigger or smaller opposition. We seem to be the polar opposite. Its shocking to see for the loyal fans. It needs addressing. We've two fixtures v Blackpool and another v these to come this year. This type of gutlessness in derbies cannot happen again irrespective of what the rest of the season brings.

As an older fan I'd conclude that this is another unwanted skid mark of a performance to taint the history of the club. I'm a big supporter of Evatt. He and the whole set up have taken a lot of plaudits. They now need to reflect on this disgrace and respond. 

Hmmm interesting . Worst game in a white shirt for Jones, Iredal and Santos, individually and collectively . Baxter dithers on the ball and his distribution is average.  

Morley & Sheehan anonymous , Ive lost patience with Sheehan. 

Williams average , Cogley was ok but faded . Dan & Vic huff and puff but nothing else.

Gomes looked really good and showed flashes of quality. He cant get up to speed fast enough for me. 

Dempsey worked his nuts off and was our best player but couldnt affect the game on his own. 

The tactics of not shooting and not tackling worked perfectly. 

Wigan the biggest team of shirt-lifters ever , you could see how much they all wanted to play for Bolton by constantly trying to swap shirts. 

Wouldnt have scored in a month of Sundays , going back to bed. 

• Site Supporter

Positive when things go well and at times when others doubt. But also realistic when we play poor and underperform like we did today.

Not good enough.

And if players/management don’t improve after today there will be doubts as to our promotion credentials. Too many key players who didn’t perform to their best: Jones, Iredale, Morley, Williams, Baxter. Crucial few weeks ahead to see whether we can bounce back - I actually believe we will.

But Wigan again - Jesus Christ there must be some curse everytime we play these fuckers

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Said all week the 11 (bar Charles obviously) who started Tuesday should have started today, fight fire with fire in midfield..... But fuck me!! If the 1st & 3rd goals had been conceded by the pissed up Dog & Duck on a Sunday morning you would be pissed off. 

Indeed. I desperately hoped Leyther was right pre match about this being our best side, but my heart sank a bit when I saw the team.

We'll see how they respond, but there is a bit of a weakness that hasn't been repaired and must be known by opposition managers.

Time for some tweaks to the thinking Mr Evatt  and the staff.

15 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I could write a lot about how utterly pathetic that was today and the weaknesses it exposes. But you're all doing that already.

Instead I am going to focus on how this is another abject chapter in this club's failure to appreciate what fixtures like this mean to Wigan, to Bury in the past and to a slightly lesser degree Blackpool. They turn up steeled for it and ready to bully us out of our stride. On far too many occasions we walk straight towards the guns, unappreciative and clueless about what's coming, we get caught by surprise and ultimately embarrassed.

It happened four or five times v Bury in the 80s, it's happened v Wigan a number of times over the past 15 years and a few times before that. We never, ever, ever, ever learn - generation after generation.

There are clubs who seem to thrive on derbies against bigger or smaller opposition. We seem to be the polar opposite. Its shocking to see for the loyal fans. It needs addressing. We've two fixtures v Blackpool and another v these to come this year. This type of gutlessness in derbies cannot happen again irrespective of what the rest of the season brings.

As an older fan I'd conclude that this is another unwanted skid mark of a performance to taint the history of the club. I'm a big supporter of Evatt. He and the whole set up have taken a lot of plaudits. They now need to reflect on this disgrace and respond. 

Totally spot on .

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Sheehan shouldn't be anywhere near that 1st 11. 

That's the rub. He's done well so far, and also to an extent last season. Bit it's always against poorer teams, unless it's at Wembley!

Is there also some hubris from Evatt- we got tatered last time so will go again  and see if we can pass them to death this time. 

Same result- maybe we can't afford both Morley and Sheehan against stronger teams.

Add to that the loss of a key striker, and we need to be more pragmatic.

13 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

All this.

But I would add that we set ourselves up for it . Giving it the big one. Bigger club,more history,more fans etc etc. 

The whole of Wigan is up for this fixture so of course it rubs off on the players and they raise their game 

Perhaps our players hear us saying Wigan aren't rivals ,just another game etc and that rubs off.

Something ain't right as this ain't the first time we have bottled it in a derby

2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

That was a wake up call promotion contenders yeah that’s Wigan on that showing! Bullied and out played agree with Kent White Sheehan is a nice player but too easily pushed around and Dan ffs what did IE see in him.

Wigan will fizzle out. This was their big day in the sunshine today with a point to point to prove. Today was shit - but I don't remember a period of the game where I felt like where significantly outplayed.

Some catastrophic goalkeeping and defending. But I don't really feel like they played us around the park. 

Just a shite & disappointing result where everything they hit went it. Still be surprised if we're not 12 points above them at the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Not a proper rival, not a proper derby, only hate Man United, this generations Tranmere, just another game.....

These cunts turn up, year on year and take the fucking piss.

Every single one of them pumped and ready, player for player, fan for fan every single one of them.

And every single time we fold like a pack of cards. Nobody realises that these cunts are here to stay, we arent fucking massive and these fuckers wont be forever in our shadow, they pull one over us every fucking time.

The sooner we get a grip and realise the occasion we might have half a chance.

Second to every ball, second to every tackle, free headers, no fucking game management whatsoever.

Beaten by the occasion. 4 fucking 0.

But its just another game. United threw tomatoes at our team bus in 1958. We are massive and Wigan are tinpot. 

Fuck 

Off.

Here here brother 

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's the rub. He's done well so far, and also to an extent last season. Bit it's always against poorer teams, unless it's at Wembley!

Is there also some hubris from Evatt- we got tatered last time so will go again  and see if we can pass them to death this time. 

Same result- maybe we can't afford both Morley and Sheehan against stronger teams.

Add to that the loss of a key striker, and we need to be more pragmatic.

Totally . . 

Drop Sheehan and get Stig Tofting in and we are golden. 

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Not a proper rival, not a proper derby, only hate Man United, this generations Tranmere, just another game.....

Every single one of them pumped and ready, player for player, fan for fan every single one of them.

And every single time we fold like a pack of cards. Nobody realises that these cunts are here to stay, we arent fucking massive and these fuckers wont be forever in our shadow, they pull one over us every fucking time.

Second to every ball, second to every tackle, free headers, no fucking game management whatsoever.

But its just another game. United threw tomatoes at our team bus in 1958. We are massive and Wigan are tinpot. 

Fuck 

Off.

100 per cent this.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Fuck 

Off.

Ran out of likes and too pissed off to like anything anyway but have a +1 brother.

Bunch of spineless c*nts. Feel so let down by them. Like worse than if the Mrs had cheated on me.

Weak as piss, no passion, no fight, fuckin shambles against these cunts, again! These players need to realise what these games mean to Bolton fans. If we dont sign a defensive midfielder, who can actually fuckin tackle before the window closes, forget automatics. And, any of you happy clappers that think that was acceptable,  fuck off!