Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

Big E

46 minutes ago, tomski said:

Baxter is brilliant. He’s ours too. Which for me makes him better than traf. I like both for reference.

Bloke behind us hates him, it is mad. You can imagine what he was like when he kicked a couple into touch ! 
TBF he seems to hate most of our players. 

13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think Baxter just edged it by about 200% 😀  Good finish by Vic, otherwise very poor, weak and no first touch, this wasn't the Vic we saw v Luton. 

No outfield player played well although I will say its the brightest I've seen Charles look in a long time, full of enthusiasm and waspish endeavour, just his touch and lack of strength letting him down sometimes, but a big improvement.

Vic I don't agree with thought he held it up pretty well 1st half and brought others in to play but that's football fans for you 

Baxter had a solid game again and has that good habit of making blocks or saves at big moments in games. Second half could have been even tougher than it was had he not been in the right place to save just before half time.

Reasonable to cut him a bit of slack for the odd kick that drifted into touch, as with corners, both sides unsurprisingly had a couple that went straight out or well beyond the intended targets.

35 minutes ago, desperado said:

Cheers lad.

Your right pal it’s the two extremes that get folk riled.

On here though you tend to get a very good middle ground with great debate.

Although I’m well aware my “positive” outlook is well known on here 🤣.

But I can read the room. I saw @radcliffe white and @captainmed on Saturday in that there London and I think if I’d have come out with anything positive they would have quite rightly lynched me! 🤣

It’s all good mate and you can debate away and try and see other people’s opinions even if you don’t agree 

unfortunately there’s a few who can’t engage and post sarcastic drivel 

18 minutes ago, Ani said:

Bloke behind us hates him, it is mad. You can imagine what he was like when he kicked a couple into touch ! 

Same here, bloke behind me in west lower last night was moaning about how crap he is and shouldn’t even be a pro never mind playing for us. 

27 minutes ago, Ani said:

That’s bonkers

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

We can’t berate the officials when they’re blowing for fuck all and also berate them for letting stuff go unchecked. How many times have we heard, “Come on ref, it’s a contact sport!” Or “It’s a man’s game!”

I bloody can! 😉

We do tend to struggle a bit with those sides that do the physical stuff well, leave a foot in here and there and stop us playing our beautiful passing game. The b*stards. 

14 hours ago, MickyD said:

When was the last team to put three players on the half way line whilst defending our corners? Cocky cunts!

I didn't make the match with the weather so how did this work out in action? Obviously they didn't concede but didn't score from a counter attack, but did it look risky from defending corners or cause us problems on the counter?

Leaving 3 up when defending corners sounds a bit too bold even for my liking! Love it when we've left 2 up front in the (distant) past, and personally I've always thought it frees up the box for your best headers to clear it while leaving someone to hold the ball up when you do clear.

6 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Losing 3 players in 1 game is crazy

GT will be a big blow missing Barnsley 

I think Saturday we will struggle at Carlisle without George and Demps. a midfield of Sheehan ,Morley, and Maghoma looks far to weak for me against the cloggers of Carlisle.

1 hour ago, Stig said:

I didn't make the match with the weather so how did this work out in action? Obviously they didn't concede but didn't score from a counter attack, but did it look risky from defending corners or cause us problems on the counter?

Leaving 3 up when defending corners sounds a bit too bold even for my liking! Love it when we've left 2 up front in the (distant) past, and personally I've always thought it frees up the box for your best headers to clear it while leaving someone to hold the ball up when you do clear.

We overhit it and it went straight out of play. It was about the 93rd minute, initially they left one on the half way line and then piled a few more forward (causing great confusion all round).

If we were thinking straight then there were players free all over the place but it was pretty much panic stations and cling on at that point.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We overhit it and it went straight out of play. It was about the 93rd minute, initially they left one on the half way line and then piled a few more forward (causing great confusion all round).

If we were thinking straight then there were players free all over the place but it was pretty much panic stations and cling on at that point.

Quite enjoyed the idea of it as a one-off tactic while losing. Totally confused the fuck out of everyone.

Probably the only remotely memorable thing about the game really.

2 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Quite enjoyed the idea of it as a one-off tactic while losing. Totally confused the fuck out of everyone.

Probably the only remotely memorable thing about the game really.

I’ll remember the ref giving offside….

15 hours ago, whoareya? said:

Do you mean the “straight ball” from Santos that resulted in the only and match-winning goal tonight? 

I’ve just seen the replay for the first time. That’s not the ball I mean, that was lofted and has far less risk of a defender nipping in and hitting us on the break.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, woolli said:

I think Saturday we will struggle at Carlisle without George and Demps. a midfield of Sheehan ,Morley, and Maghoma looks far to weak for me against the cloggers of Carlisle.

I wouldn't be over confident in terms of the physical aspect of the game, however they are talented footballers. Whether Evatt could get them paying quick, accurate passing to beat a press etc is the obvious question.

An alternative may involve a formation change which I just cannot see happening.

I was always under the impression that Matheson was a centre mid, prior to coming to us, and it’s now that we’re playing him as a wing back as clearly Evatt thinks he can do it.

Is that complete bollocks and he’s always been a wingback? Could be a midfield option if needed at some stage.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Eddie said:

I was always under the impression that Matheson was a centre mid, prior to coming to us, and it’s now that we’re playing him as a wing back as clearly Evatt thinks he can do it.

Is that complete bollocks and he’s always been a wingback? Could be a midfield option if needed at some stage.

I think that's a decent call. Can get about a bit.

As mentioned elsewhere, Khumbeni also could fit the bill.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Right back come wingback when i saw him against us

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Be fucking boring on here if the only comment you can make when we win is “we won, move on”.

I’m very much in the ‘result is the most important and the 3 points outweighs everything from last night’ camp - but I still find it interesting to discuss the match, whether it be the positive stuff or stuff that can be improved.

Obviously people will go further one way or the other, whereas some will sit in the middle, it’s life. People will also get caught up in the moment and focus on one game rather than the bigger picture, it’s the irrationality that supporting a football club brings on. I love reading anything to do with us when we’ve won / watching highlights and WW gets most of my attention because there are few other places where analysis and views are as in depth / generally reasonable. Long live the debate in my eyes, if that means dealing with views you don’t agree with then it’s all part of the fun.

Excellent post 👏 

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

It’s all good mate and you can debate away and try and see other people’s opinions even if you don’t agree 

unfortunately there’s a few who can’t engage and post sarcastic drivel 

Another good post.

I need to go away and find some I disagree with, this won't do.