Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Ani

11 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Said this to me mate in the ground, did you notice when we did all the sidewards stuff Barnsley players barely moved an inch, they took up positions In two banks of four and didn't hound us down. 

Apart from a bit of chasing from their front men when we had it at the back, they didn’t have to move so much because our movement up front wasn’t up to it and when balls were played between the lines they often won it or won the second ball after a miscontrol - less so after the subs came on and we weren’t faffing around so much. Vic and Dion were chasing their CBs too.
I guess they knew it was going to be played to feet rather than into the spaces so they just hung around and stuck a foot in. Ultimately it became a game of not making mistakes at the back and we made plenty unfortunately. Thing is, we’ve seen the team play much better but usually that’s when we have a lead.

i have faith in the manager and he must surely have analysed the shit out of it, but I think we’re still a tweak or two off it sometimes.

Williams must be miffed btw.

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

An enjoyable game that. Prefer the emotions of that rather than going through an Exeter 8-0.

Baxter was immense in net, two saves inpaticular where an average league one keeper let's through them. MOM.

I thought demps and Paris did well in a battle and didn't go hiding. And Collins gave us a glimpse of what is to come. 

Taylor was on a hiding to nowt. Thrown in in the middle of the three , in our system, in a real tough game. Think he will come on and do well in future games , Deffo a player there.

But overall,  a weird one. Could have been three baht down and then leave a little bit disappointed we didn't nick the 3. Outstanding save by their mon in the 87/88th min

4 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

I thought Paris did well, doesn't panic when it seems everyone else around him is, creates space with his ability to change the direction if play. Yeah his shot late second half was dog shit but i fancy him to hit the goal more often than not there. 

Think people forget these guys are kids and are with us because they're no finished article. I think he'll ultimately play at a higher level longer than any of our regular midfielders. And I'm a big fan of all of them. But only time will tell. 

And how good was josh earl for them! An example of someone that's come on since we saw him in a bwfc top

Well done sir 👏

Just read through the comments. Yours was the best review.

Then as I found myself thinking am I seeing something different about Maghoma as I thought he had a good game, so there needed to be a response to the doubters, I saw your follow up post- spot on 👍

Good game, good point. 

• Site Supporter

By the way

Baxter waved the defenders forward for a hoofed goal kick in the second half and it got a massive cheer.

Probably the most tinpot thing to happen at our stadium since Wigan last showed up 

Baxter proved his class second half , two top draw saves, really strange game though. First half we did well and had them penned in for long periods and sensed the goal was coming. They could have been out of sight first five or ten minutes of the second half , so to grab a point feels like a point gained.

Don't really know how to feel about the game.We were very good at times but piss poor in others

Bod and Collins helped change the game in our favour.Maghoma always tries to do one thing too much but will improve with experience

Thought Connel  should have seen red in 1st half for throwing a elbow but ref bottled it and was piss poor all game

Mom between Deps and Baxter 

A draw not a disaster by any stretch.

Didn’t deserve it as they missed some glorious chances to go 2 up. 

I am worried that with the exception of Carlisle we’re simply not playing consistently well in the league, just edging games.

Need at the very least 9 points from the next 4 games because it gets very difficult after that with 4 out of 5 away and three of those very tough.

Edited by captainmed

2 hours ago, deeane Koontz said:

Not working up front. Nowts sticking and they're back to playing like ro strangers again. Bring someone with a brain on for one of them.

Yes but what about all the unseen work Vic does?  No, me neither, I prefer the stuff I can see with my own eyes that Bod brings.

Anyway, that was a breathless, superb game of football.  Credit to both teams, all our team including subs played well (apart from the front 2).  Dempsey back to the player I'd forgotten he was, absolutely superb engine and drive; Sheehan first half took a physical battering and didn't let it put him off, pure quality.  Toal another one that went through the wars and refused to give an inch.   Really enjoyable stuff, probably the game of the season here along with Blackpool maybe.  Baxter absolutely fantastic saves, absolutely won us a point, for all our possession incredible that he must have made 5 great saves while Barnsley's keeper made one.

Bodvarsson an absolute rolls royce last 25 minutes, plays on a different level and had a huge hand in the goal.  Ashworth has started about 4 games this season and has scored 3 superb goals.  I'm exhausted after watching that so god knows how the players feel, with a game to come on Tuesday.

Going 1-0 down so early was always going to make it hard against Barnsley they are a tough team but we battled and got a point which felt like a win to me. 
We just struggle against teams who play a certain way against us but with the signing of Collins he looks a player who as the nous to create chances. 
Vics control is awful. 

39 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’ll respectfully disagree and I wish he’d stop shooting as he’s closer to hitting the moon, Baxter & Dempsey streets ahead of those who played 90 and for me Maghoma was worst player on the pitch closely followed by Iredale. 

Was he bollocks🤣

Do people on here decide they dislike a player and conveniently ignore all the good things they do. 

There were a couple of occassions he held onto the ball longer than necessary other than that he was one of our better players

All bark no bite until Collins and Bod came on, class apart from the two that went off. 

Probably the last we see of the Dion Vic partnership now 

Concerning run of fixtures coming up, still haven't changed my mind that we'll have to settle for playoffs, we're not consistent enough against the top 6 over the last few years 

6 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

My concern is we will go to derby, Barnsley etc play well but come away with jack all 

folk go on about PPG too much in here 

3 massive bogey away games approaching.

Need something @ Derby. 

Should be good enough to win one of either Blackpool or Wigan. 

Barnsley are better away so I’m hopeful there. 

Edited by captainmed

2 minutes ago, deeane Koontz said:

Was he bollocks🤣

Do people on here decide they dislike a player and conveniently ignore all the good things they do. 

There were a couple of occassions he held onto the ball longer than necessary other than that he was one of our better players

Maghoma seemed to spark to life when Collins & Bod came on, Charles and Vic far worse than Paris, Mounts has lost the plot

Edited by L/H White

1 minute ago, L/H White said:

All bark no bite until Collins and Bod came on, class apart from the two that went off. 

Probably the last we see of the Dion Vic partnership now 

Concerning run of fixtures coming up, still haven't changed my mind that we'll have to settle for playoffs, we're not consistent enough against the top 6 over the last few years 

Behave.   This time next week we,ll be top.   

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes but what about all the unseen work Vic does?  No, me neither, I prefer the stuff I can see with my own eyes that Bod brings.

Anyway, that was a breathless, superb game of football.  Credit to both teams, all our team including subs played well (apart from the front 2).  Dempsey back to the player I'd forgotten he was, absolutely superb engine and drive; Sheehan first half took a physical battering and didn't let it put him off, pure quality.  Toal another one that went through the wars and refused to give an inch.   Really enjoyable stuff, probably the game of the season here along with Blackpool maybe.  Baxter absolutely fantastic saves, absolutely won us a point, for all our possession incredible that he must have made 5 great saves while Barnsley's keeper made one.

Bodvarsson an absolute rolls royce last 25 minutes, plays on a different level and had a huge hand in the goal.  Ashworth has started about 4 games this season and has scored 3 superb goals.  I'm exhausted after watching that so god knows how the players feel, with a game to come on Tuesday.

He's done plenty good work in recent times. And has improved a lot with his hold up and link up play which a blind mon could see.

Today he was poor.

Good point that, all told.

Baxter made 3 superb saves to keep us in it.

Thought Ashworth was pretty good. Got stuck in and might have a bit of the shithouse about him (lucky not to concede a pen in the second half, he had a little kick off the ball at the lad he'd been battling all game ).

Don't get the stick Maghoma is getting.

Has a go at taking people on, just needs that final bit of composure, that's all.

We'll beat this lot at their place.

1 minute ago, L/H White said:

Agreed.  A top 2 side will win the homes and odd away game at their fellow chasers.  I have no confidence of us winning at Derby, Peterborough, Barnsley etc.  We're a good side but not top two material yet I don't think.