Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northampton Town (A)

BeeversLeftPeg

30 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

People may think Bolton TC is a dump, but Northampton exceeded it by a margin.  More eating places in the centre- we went to PizzaExpress - but that's only cos most of ours are out of town.   Walked up the main road from the centre to the ground and back round the rear of the Rugby ground, it didn't get any better.  

Some strange folk as well  presumably many working in them huge sheds by the M1.

Shame I don't vape 

I could have stocked up 

37 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Enjoyable day and a good point in the end especially going down to ten (would have taken before KO)

Nice to see regular faces and @jeep

Rico and Forrester back light training on Saturday (didn’t travel with squad) 

mtly 

Good to see you & the rest of the Groovy Gang.....

Hope you had a safe journey back to Hindley +7.....

Edited by jeep
Spelling innit.....

55 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

People may think Bolton TC is a dump, but Northampton exceeded it by a margin.

Son #1 has lived in Northampton for 8 years. When he arrived it was an OK centre with that square being a very large, varied open market. There was a Debenhams, Kendal's, large M&S & a lot of local non-chains. It's been devastated by a large out of town shopping zone on top of the general change in retail. The place seems to be the extreme end of London commuting & the London diaspora for being able to buy houses at a reasonable rate & a lot of BAME are newly there. Weekends It's become a clubbing centre for out of London mobs.

What should be, & was, a very nice Market Town has been hollowed out.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Son #1 has lived in Northampton for 8 years. When he arrived it was an OK centre with that square being a very large, varied open market. There was a Debenhams, Kendal's, large M&S & a lot of local non-chains. It's been devastated by a large out of town shopping zone on top of the general change in retail. The place seems to be the extreme end of London commuting & the London diaspora for being able to buy houses at a reasonable rate & a lot of BAME are newly there. Weekends It's become a clubbing centre for out of London mobs.

Sadly similar to many others. Rotherham when I moved there with work in the early 80’s was a lovely town, big minster fronting a large square with lots of timber framed buildings. All the usual big shops were there, M&S, Next, Woolies as well as independent department stores but then they built Meadowhall in Sheffield, which should have been at Parkgate in Rotherham but they switched at the last minute so the council built a Retail park on it and offered all the TC businesses cheap rates, hence everything moved. Add the loss of good Coal and steel waged jobs and there you have it. Very sad really it’s now just a dump.

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

Depends what you consider "battered", but going off the logic that Carlisle "battered" us at home, I'll assume it's winning by 2 goals or more.

Bolton Wanderers    3–0    Lincoln City    
Cheltenham Town    0–3    Bolton Wanderers    
Bolton Wanderers    3–1    Fleetwood Town    
Wycombe               2–4    Bolton Wanderers
Charlton Athletic    0–2    Bolton Wanderers
Shrewsbury Town    0–2    Bolton Wanderers
Bolton Wanderers    7–0    Exeter City
Fleetwood Town    0–2    Bolton Wanderers
Carlisle United    1–4    Bolton Wanderers

Obviously, you can also "batter" someone and only win by 1 goal, or not even win. That's just football.

Interesting stats (to me!).  We seem to do it in batches of form - 1st 3 games of season, then none till end Oct when we won 4 games out of 5 by 2 and won the other 1-0.  Two welcome more recent one's albeit against very poor opposition (nobody looked worse than Exeter on that day though).

It bears out what @Greg_BWFC was saying, that every home game bar Exeter since August has been on a knife-edge till the death (Carlisle got their 3rd in injury time).

Another wierd thing about this season is not one decisive late goal at home, unlike Barnsley and Derby who seem to get a lot of late goals we've got our winning goals much earlier.  No later dramas for or against, that has to be fairly unique for us so well into February.

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

From what I saw later on, it seemed the young ones were getting the train to Birmingham for a night out 

6 hours ago, gonzo said:

They have their form was shot at for a bit.

We've at least managed to claw some points in amongst the madness.

Their recent games have been kind.  Northampton at home and away games at Fleetwood, Carlisle and Port Vale is a dream set fixtures, and they only won the aways 1-0.

For me it doesn't say they are back on form as much as it reflects the easier fixtures.  They'll probably win their next 3 (Cambridge & Reading home, Charlton away) and that's why anything other than 6 points this week probably takes Pompey away from us realistically, even if they have injuries and aren't playing well.   

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Their recent games have been kind.  Northampton at home and away games at Fleetwood, Carlisle and Port Vale is a dream set fixtures, and they only won the aways 1-0.

For me it doesn't say they are back on form as much as it reflects the easier fixtures.  They'll probably win their next 3 (Cambridge & Reading home, Charlton away) and that's why anything other than 6 points this week probably takes Pompey away from us realistically, even if they have injuries and aren't playing well.   

Once they get the next 3 out of the way, I think they’ve probably got the toughest run in. There’s not many ‘easy’ ones left in there and with the amount of injuries they’ve got I wonder / hope it will catch up on them.

8 hours ago, Zico said:

I don't have much confidence in Colman and I'll be honest it stems from his hair 

A balding comb over 

It reeks of a man who has terrible judgement which is not a good look for a goal keeper 

His Dad had same, it got set on fire when he fell asleep on the way back from Wrexham promotion game while he was asleep in the back of tranny van.  LH whites on tour.🤣

26 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

His Dad had same, it got set on fire when he fell asleep on the way back from Wrexham promotion game while he was asleep in the back of tranny van.  LH whites on tour.🤣

🤣🤣🤣 that’s why he drives the fuckers now

• The topic was unpinned
  • Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Zico said:

Got to admit when we do lose we've looked pretty rank once that first goal has gone in

More often than not heads do go down. The only consolation is that we are still going up to the last minute, and mostly look capable of scoring, if not looking likely to score.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Unless there is a different angle then I can't see how GT gets it overturned.

Even if the 4th officials comments are taken into account.

Does seem a bit futile, but who knows. 

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think your right the tv footage must make it look a lot worse than the player and the bench who were close to it and 4 official . Also the ref was behind it so you would of thought the 4th official had a better Vue than him and he totally ignored is advice telling him it’s not a red card 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I’d say it’s automatically NOT a frivolous appeal because of the 4th official’s comments. At least, I hope!