Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (H)

Ani

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, tomski said:

When he’s started he’s scored plenty in the pizza.

Thrown in away at Pompey and lays on a great assist for Dion chance which of scored could well of dictated a different season/Charles 

This he can only play against tired men guff is almost a tad insulting to him.

Do we start bringing our better players on after an hour from now on.

Does it also explain why Jerome came on against Northampton?

Bang on the money.

Bod is a clever player, more than capable of 90 mins and will score plenty given a run. I find it bewildering we haven't used him more

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I have complete faith that IE picks his team based on his own observations during training sessions. I’m also fairly sure that Bod would be starting if IE thought he’d be better starting. 

Well I’m glad one of us does.

1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Bang on the money.

Bod is a clever player, more than capable of 90 mins and will score plenty given a run. I find it bewildering we haven't used him more

Just gives us something so much different to the others. We seem to be going a bit longer at times and he’s the stand out best recipient of feeding off them balls.

• Site Supporter

Anyway

wait until @woollifinds out that Charlton had one player on the pitch yesterday who cost more than all our transfers put together this season.

Sounds to me like a draw was a great result for us based on that.

xxx

9 minutes ago, Greg_BWFC said:

Thought for the most part, the crowd were really behind the team yesterday.

Great atmosphere 2nd half.

We played some great stuff and it's just some poor defending that's cost us, our goals were top drawer. 

Just for clarity, I mentioned in an earlier post that I think Evatt will go if we don't go up.

By that I meant he'll get an offer from higher up, not that we would sack him.

Stability and continuity is vital for our continued upwards progress imo.

He's a big part of that and he's got plenty of credit with me.

Do some of his decisions frustrate me ? Yep.

Is he a stubborn, arrogant twat at times ? Absolutely 😄.

Plenty of professional sports people are, I suppose they have to be.

But bloody hell, we need to go up this year.

COYWM 

Plenty to like about yesterday, obviously conceding the goals the way we did was frustrating, hopefully with the captains return not to far away we can start to tighten up at the back. The goals we scored were all created by ourselves and wonderfully executed, all things considered, unbeaten in 5, the disruption with the spine of the team missing, new players bedding in, we have done well to keep our heads above the water, plenty of teams in our position would start to sink. Regarding the manager, I have a feeling he will still be here next season come what may, the board and the manager still seem committed to the project. I for one hope he does.

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I said he’s bog average… thinks that about where he is. Sensible me… others think he’s the new okocha. 🤣

Or others might just think he’s not bog average or the new okocha. Just a decent young midfielder that clearly has talent, is comfortable on the ball, can score a goal but is not the finished product and hasn’t quite got the consistency you need to be playing at higher levels.

Just now, Eddie said:

Or others might just think he’s not bog average or the new okocha. Just a decent young midfielder that clearly has talent, is comfortable on the ball, can score a goal but is not the finished product and hasn’t quite got the consistency you need to be playing at higher levels.

That’s probably why I label him bog average… his last 2 performances have been better, yesterday after he scored (he wasnt great before) he looked like he was going to catch fire for 10 minutes, sadly that only lasted until they scored and he disappeared into his normal average self. 

Having watched the goals back, I actually don’t think there’s much blame on Coleman for any of them.

1 - it’s a good ball in but Toal gets caught underneath it. Coleman will expect him to just head that clear and he can’t come for it, once it’s over Toal and the forward goes for it then there’s nothing Coleman can do. Toal’s fault.

2 - it comes through 4 Bolton players and Iredale puts a foot out right in front of Coleman. I’m not 100% but I’m pretty sure Iredale gets something on it which puts it past Coleman. It’s also one that would get ruled out for offside with VAR because the forward that Iredale is marking is in an offside position and is in front of Coleman when the shot comes in. Unlucky - shouldn’t let them get a free shot on goal 18 yards out.

3 - foul on Cogley, players stop, Toal then makes a mess of his positioning when the ball is bouncing and it’s a good finish off the post. Toal / ref’s fault.

If Santos was back in the team then I don’t think 1 or 3 go in. I really fucking hope he’s back for Blackpool/Wigan!

Positives are that Vic and Bod got on the scoresheet with 2 nicely worked goals and good runs from them both. Bod getting 2 in 2 is a great sign because we know he’s got the quality to go on a scoring streak, he just needed the monkey off his back of getting his first.

9 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Just back from the pub & dwelling on today , my god we’ve had better days but much worse as well . Twenty minutes of absolute mint football in the second half .

I know we fckd up , but the glimpse of ‘ total football ‘ in that spell is inspiring!
The challenge for Evatt is enormous , to reproduce that on a consistent basis but I do commend him for trying.

Some of that football was the best you'll see in this division. We were brilliant.

I just hed have left Collins on for Jerome or just straight swapped him for CMG.

Its hard not to let the kamikaze defending take away from how good we were going forward yesterday. 

Get our defence back and we will be reet.

23 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Thankfully the bog average midfielder is chipping in with more goals than anyone outside our strike force.

IMG_8399.thumb.jpeg.0025667b9c808f52350ce0c90b3f2120.jpeg

6 goals is reasonable return for attacking midfielder, his assist record of 1 is poor given he’s signed as a creator and line breaker, his work rate has improved recently (has been poor) he’s definitely going in the right direction, let’s hope that continues. 

2 hours ago, Stig said:

Fingers crossed! Charlton aren't a bottom half team, no idea what has happened there to have them that low. The stuff they played up front was decent.

Charlton got Alfie May in and essentially tried to make him the focus of their play, so they were trying to play decent stuff on the ground like we do. Despite May scoring plenty, they were a bit soft and conceded too many, Jones has come in and he stacked the team yesterday with a load of big physical lads, went more direct and left May on the bench.

I'm not keen on the bloke, but Jones knows his stuff and he'll have known about (a) our defensive injuries and (b) our inability to deal with the physical stuff.

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

Charlton got Alfie May in and essentially tried to make him the focus of their play, so they were trying to play decent stuff on the ground like we do. Despite May scoring plenty, they were a bit soft and conceded too many, Jones has come in and he stacked the team yesterday with a load of big physical lads, went more direct and left May on the bench.

I'm not keen on the bloke, but Jones knows his stuff and he'll have known about (a) our defensive injuries and (b) our inability to deal with the physical stuff.

Noticed that yesterday, looked like his old Luton team, full of units.

15 minutes ago, Traf said:

Charlton got Alfie May in and essentially tried to make him the focus of their play, so they were trying to play decent stuff on the ground like we do. 

We should've signed him.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

I have complete faith that IE picks his team based on his own observations during training sessions. I’m also fairly sure that Bod would be starting if IE thought he’d be better starting. 

Would be interesting to see howmany of the games he's scored in have been as a sub. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Spider said:

Anyway

wait until @woollifinds out that Charlton had one player on the pitch yesterday who cost more than all our transfers put together this season.

Sounds to me like a draw was a great result for us based on that.

xxx

Tell him they have strikers so good, his love child only got 10 minutes

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

For those going on about our injuries Portsmouth have 10 senior players out (4 of them remainder of the season) 

I really dont know who they are, but ill tell you this

4 of ours are first picks, every game we play

And 2 are probably the best in their position in the league

But, its part of the game and we need to find a way