Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan Athletic (A)

Leyther_Matt

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

None of those stats say we created anything of note. Wigan had equal if not better chances than us.

Stats don't "say" anything. But we were decent tonight and did enough to win, it just didn't happen. Sometimes the better side loses. That's football.

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Did they bollocks. 

The goal, the Coleman save just afterwards and then a shot they put wide from a decent position.

We had two headers from Toal he could've done better with and a one in a million long range effort from the same player.

Where were all of these other chances?

1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

Why bring in someone who "doesnt know our system?"

So Taylor, Ogbeta, Ramsey, they're all on short term loans, short term loans are a waste of time if they need a pre season to learn "our system".

Baffling, because the systems been figured out and has dried up.  

Ogbeta had a good game imo. Taylor is a back up signing because of the injuries/suspensions we had and seems decent accusation.

Fuck knows on Ramsey ... is he better then Cogley?

Collins cost a lot, someone you'd expect to make a impact. Not seen it yet unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

No ifs or buts, if we don’t go up this year, he goes

How dare you say that and FWIW I agree.

With one bully boy in the dug-out, then its no wonder that no-one on the pitch dare take the lead.

Nobody in the team talks apart from GT.

I personally have nothing against BP & Wigan but a lot of people understandably  do.

A bleak few days are ahead, and we simply must beat Cambridge.

Can we win at Barnsley though?

No IMO.

The pressure is on.

Edited by captainmed

Dominate a game, hit with a sucker punch. It was almost written against these shitlords, who've just won their cup final, again. I can't wait for their RL owner to liquidate them. 

That was a robbery. One which hurts, and should hurt everyone representing us tonight, but we're by no means out of the promotion race. 

Someone said they'd rather see us long ball our way up, like the god awful Barnsley are trying now. Must ask: how's that going for Rotherham since they did it a couple of years back? 

We go up when we're ready, and when we do, I want us more like Ipswich than any Yorkshire club that has toe-bunged their way up (and stagnated) in recent memory. 

Tonight was a horrible result, and it fucking hurt - but it was not for lack of trying. As one sided a game as youll see. I still believe, at the end of April, we'll look back at tonight as a footnote as we join Portsmouth in the Championship.

Either that, or I'm talking shit and we can employ Mick Fucking McCarthy (are you serious? Christ)

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Stats don't "say" anything. But we were decent tonight and did enough to win, it just didn't happen. Sometimes the better side loses. That's football.

You said it was simply wrong to say we created nothing, then provided some stats. I assumed those were connected. FWIW our XG was 1.88 to their 1.71. It was hardly the Gary Speed Man City game when it comes to robberies.

We are a team with good players, expensive for this level and who had huge amounts of possession. To only have set piece chances and Eoin Toal miracle efforts is a huge failure in terms of the quality of chances we created.

18 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

Dominate a game, hit with a sucker punch. It was almost written against these shitlords, who've just won their cup final, again. I can't wait for their RL owner to liquidate them. 

That was a robbery. One which hurts, and should hurt everyone representing us tonight, but we're by no means out of the promotion race. 

Someone said they'd rather see us long ball our way up, like the god awful Barnsley are trying now. Must ask: how's that going for Rotherham since they did it a couple of years back? 

We go up when we're ready, and when we do, I want us more like Ipswich than any Yorkshire club that has toe-bunged their way up (and stagnated) in recent memory. 

Tonight was a horrible result, and it fucking hurt - but it was not for lack of trying. As one sided a game as youll see. I still believe, at the end of April, we'll look back at tonight as a footnote as we join Portsmouth in the Championship.

Either that, or I'm talking shit and we can employ Mick Fucking McCarthy (are you serious? Christ)

👏🏻

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

You said it was simply wrong to say we created nothing, then provided some stats. I assumed those were connected. FWIW our XG was 1.88 to their 1.71. It was hardly the Gary Speed Man City game when it comes to robberies.

We are a team with good players, expensive for this level and who had huge amounts of possession. To only have set piece chances and Eoin Toal miracle efforts is a huge failure in terms of the quality of chances we created.

It is categorically wrong to say we "created nothing", otherwise we would have had zero shots and zero corners. I'm not implying anything beyond that.

6 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Apart from the odd exception our players play like they’re scared most of the time.

That is what it looks like to me and I reckon they are scared of Evatt.

We don't adapt to what is happening in front of us and just keep doing the same thing on the pitch  time and time again .

Long ball football is crap to watch but so is tippy tappy stuff if you lose like we have in the last 2 games.

The odd ball played out quickly from the back on the break is often what is needed to create a breakthrough in games like last night.

We rarely do it. So that is one of 2 things we don't have players capable of thinking for themselves or they are scared of the consequences of doing so.

In my opinion Pondshop Pep needs to loosen the reigns a bit and let the players adapt their game to suit the opposition 

Think Maloney has done Evatt over once again.

I thought we were dominant etc and they were a bad team.

As the game went on it became obvious Wigan had a game plan to let us have the ball and take their chance when it come.

The more I think about it they did a real job on us. They’ve taken 6 comfortable points off a better squad.

7 hours ago, Arrested development said:

If it doesn't work , why are we 3rd in the league after 3/4 of the season. Only peterboro have scored more goals than us. What your saying is literally bollocks. 

This season the system has worked much better at beating the dregs. That's where we've improved massively and are stacking up points.

Where it's not working is against the better sides in the division because they press better or counter attack better and we go to pieces. We need to play a different way against the better teams.

6 hours ago, Cheese said:

I know it doesn't matter, but to say we "created nothing" is very simply wrong. Clearly the performance wasn't good enough, but we definitely dominated the game - as much as that means nothing in terms of the result.

Untitled.jpg.3236a005edbc2772c7c1497d7248db84.jpg

Cheese, those stats just confirm the problem surely? They had two shots on target scored one and Coleman made a terrific save for the other. I think putting those up just illustrates what everyone’s saying but you just don’t want to accept it as usual.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, woolli said:

Eight legs and Queso still think we are fantastic! Deluded cunts, really feel for them!

I’ve double checked after some sleep and I’ve said we were predictable 

Not anywhere did I say we were fantastic because - get this - we weren’t.

instead of over reacting and telling lies every time you start punching your phone, why not think before you do it?

Emotions are high, frustration and dissapointment cloud even the most determined Evatt supporters. 

I still back him, and don't want to see him gone regardless of what happens for the rest of this season. I want my club to play, possession based football, to pass and control the play, and we are so tantalisingly close to it. We see glimpses, although admittedly not enough currently, and it is exciting,  expansive football. We dominated large parts of the game, whilst nervous I enjoyed the first half, and 10-15 minutes of the second. We had chances, but it should have been more. 

What really angered me though was the response to their goal, a poor defensive display and all too easy for them to score their first meaningful attack. But afterwards we slowed further, we played it mostly in our half. People can claim they do or don't hate Wigan,  or they are not our rivals, it doesn't really matter, after a 4-0 humiliation at home that's all that matters and I wanted to beat them so badly. The players should also want to make up for that, and the response was lazy, predictable and cowardly. 

Whilst I will repeat, I don't want him gone, changes do need to be made, we need pragmatism and a solid plan B, C and D, and we need some true leaders out there on the pitch as currently we don't have any.

Anyway thanks BWFC for a terrible night's sleep, I don't know why it matters so much.

• Site Supporter

For me, while we are good enough to beat plenty just by having better players, we have a weakness of being far too predictable especially against smash & grab teams.

We've no striker with a physical presence like them 2 at Charlton, Colby Bishop, Lee Gregory last season etc.

No midfielder who will drive at a packed defence like Frandsen used to. They must still exist.

We also need defenders who value the art of defending more than the art of fannying around. Forester and a fit Johnson can do this, not sure about the rest.

Not calling for Evatts head, not by a long way but there are 23 styles to play against, we have to be able to mix it up better

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Cheese, those stats just confirm the problem surely? They had two shots on target scored one and Coleman made a terrific save for the other. I think putting those up just illustrates what everyone’s saying but you just don’t want to accept it as usual.

Am I alone in agreeing with Cheese here? 

All he's saying is, had the game ended with a one goal win to us instead of them, we'd all be talking about our superior passing being what won the game.

The stats do show we dominated the game, the result doesn't. 

We still often look back at that have v City when Speed scored a last minute penalty.  S has already been said, this wasn't too dissimilar. 

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

All he's saying is, had the game ended with a one goal win to us instead of them, we'd all be talking about our superior passing being what won the game.

We still often look back at that have v City when Speed scored a last minute penalty.  S has already been said, this wasn't too dissimilar. 

I’d rather have the points.

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

That was nothing like the Man City Speed game. We created very little last night, and the XG shows that. Potshots from distance aren't creating chances. The only thing we dominated is possession around our back 5.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

We dominated possession but only had one more shot on target then them and that was a speculative 35 yarder from Toal 

Sky App says one clear cut chance each

City hit the woodwork several times and Jussi was working overtime 

Last night was not that 

• Site Supporter

Now the dust has settled a bit, 

performance wasn’t that bad, I wish we were a bit quicker at times. I think where we’ve had real success is when we are quick though the transition. I also think we have not stretched teams in the wide areas allowing space in the middle. Cogley seems to want to cut back in all the time and lay it off inside. 

we got countered, which has happened a few times in recent games down our right hand side which is worrying. 

reckon the weekend will restore a little bit of confidence to help take the edge of the last two games. 

I think the general frustration isn’t the way we play fully, it’s the adaption in game to counter the oppo tactics. But it is a concern it happens in our “big” games and must wins far too often, Pizza Cup Final aside we havnt performed well enough in these. 

32 minutes ago, MickyD said:

You've got to be on a wind up with that, surely?

Edited by Tombwfc

7 hours ago, MickyD said:

Did they bollocks. 

Yes they did.

They had three gilt-edged chances in 5 minutes, one of which they scored.  The other two came very quickly after.

Apart from the Toal header, which chances did we create that were better than those 3?